Game 2011.18: Tigers at Mariners

The Tigers look to lock-up a series victory tonight against the Mariners, as Phil Coke takes on Doug Fister.

The not-so-hard throwing Doug Fister takes the mound for the Ms tonight.  Fister is in the majors because he throws a four seamer, a two seamer, a change, a curve and a slider.  Though none of them are particularly effective, when he locates them well he can win a few ball games.  His fastball tops out at 88-89, though that lack of speed certainly had the Tigers fooled for most of last night.  He’s got a career WHIP of 1.29 (good), and a career K/9 of 4.99 (not good).

Coke was nothing short of phenomenal in his last start, allowing 3 hits, 2 walks and 0 ER over 7 IPs against the Athletics.  Couple that with the last 4 2/3 innings of the KC game, and he’s thrown 11 2/3 consecutive scoreless innings.  The over/under is set at 15.  Any takers?  Coke dominates in April, posting a career 2.29 ERA for the month.

In roster news – VMart may be headed to the DL.    Omir Santos was called up as an emergency back-up catcher, and they’ll have to send someone else down today before 1st pitch.  My guess would have been Austin Jackson, but he’s listed in the starting lineup.  I can’t see them sending down a reliever, so either VMart will be placed on the DL, or Don Kelly will have a lonely drive this evening.

Your incredibly suspect top of the order lineup (see if you can determine who I’m rooting for tonight):

1. AJax – CF
2. Rhymes – 2B
3. Don Kelly – RF
4. Cabrera – 1B
5. Boesch – DH
6. Raburn – LF
7. Peralta – SS
8. Big Bad Al Avila – C
9. Inge – 3B

Posted by on April 19, 2011.

Categories: 2011 Season, Game Post

1. Because Santos got the call I suspect vmart is going on the 15 day DL

by Nick D on Apr 19, 2011 at 6:59 pm

2. At least he separated the Brothers K

by Coleman on Apr 19, 2011 at 7:36 pm

3. What a f#$%ed-up lineup! Where’s Maggs?

by TORONTO TIGER on Apr 19, 2011 at 7:40 pm

4. My eyes about popped out of my head again when I saw Kelly batting 3rd. My guess is that the line-up is constructed so that Cabrera won’t get pitched around as easily. Leyland wants his best remaining bats, hitting behind Cabrera. I hope it works. I’m sure there will be plenty of grumbling over this line-up. I understand that Tomorrow we play an afternoon game also, so I’m expecting even more surprises with line-up.

by Mr. X on Apr 19, 2011 at 7:40 pm

5. Big Bad Alex Avila!

by Mr. X on Apr 19, 2011 at 7:42 pm

6. I wonder how Eric Wedge is handling the fact that the Indians are in 1st place while he has managed the Mariners to a nice last place 6.5 games back in the AL West.

by Mark in Vegas on Apr 19, 2011 at 8:00 pm

7. Where is Maggs? I figured he’d be the DH tonight. Any estimates on how long V-Mart is going to be out?

by Brenden on Apr 19, 2011 at 8:38 pm

8. Ehh it’s just a baseball game, who cares right? :)

by TSE on Apr 19, 2011 at 8:38 pm

9. WOW interesting line up, Other than Miggy, we are barely scaring a good college team.

Good pick up on Eric Wedge,

Lets hope everyone pulls together,

Good Luck tonight to Coke and the Merry K’s (Coleman surely you can do something with that)

Does anyone know if I can download the audio off MLB and save as a pod cast. I am driving 6 hours or so to the D Wednesday morning and I would like to listen to the game.

Have a great night,

Steve

by Steve on Apr 19, 2011 at 9:29 pm

10. Pretty much. We’ll probably win by 5+ runs anyway he puts the line-up.

by Mr. X on Apr 19, 2011 at 9:40 pm

11. batting third, don kelly.

the f#%@

by JOE Z on Apr 19, 2011 at 10:19 pm

12. bases loaded with two walks and an error – nobody out and a 3-0… something tells me Mr. Coke didn’t draw it up this way in his pregame meditation.

by Stormin Norman$ on Apr 19, 2011 at 10:29 pm

13. i thought the Tiger’s lineup looked a bit challenging tonight, until i saw the Mariners have 5 guys in the starting lineup batting under the Mendoza line – obviously that is why Coke was trying to nibble at the corners with such a potent lineup…

by Stormin Norman$ on Apr 19, 2011 at 10:32 pm

14. I really wish this team would play with the intensity of a man forcing Wal-Mart trucks off the road and threatening to blow up BBQ stands.

by stephen on Apr 19, 2011 at 10:45 pm

15. Steve – check iTunes. I’m pretty sure you can now buy archived games.

by Kevin in Dallas on Apr 19, 2011 at 11:08 pm

16. Well, whatever happens tonight, I don’t think you can blame the lineup, as bizarre as it looks. Coke looks like a guy who started a bit slow, and just cracked a little under pressure in the first inning. A good tip is not to worry too much about the runner on second once you’ve falling behind 2-0. If you walk the batter, he’ll be on third anyway.

by scotsw on Apr 19, 2011 at 11:22 pm

17. Cue the circus music.

by scotsw on Apr 19, 2011 at 11:32 pm

18. Just like that our CSR drops 100 points

by Coleman on Apr 19, 2011 at 11:34 pm

19. Here comes Big Bad AA

by Kevin in Dallas on Apr 20, 2011 at 12:30 am

20. Holy cow Jack Wilson almost ran to 2B.

by Kevin in Dallas on Apr 20, 2011 at 12:37 am

21. Ah yes, the ol’ first pitch GIDP, a subtle and underappreciated element of the professional clown show.

by Coleman on Apr 20, 2011 at 12:40 am

22. I love how often we disprove the REM

by Kevin in Dallas on Apr 20, 2011 at 12:43 am

23. It can all be explained by evil twins. Just like Raburn is sometimes replaced by double-clutching R3L2O-strikeouting Rayburn, Phil Coke is also dogged by his evil twin Fail Coke.

by Coleman on Apr 20, 2011 at 12:43 am

24. To be fair, for a long stretch of this game, the Tigers did effectively induce REM for me…

by Coleman on Apr 20, 2011 at 12:46 am

25. Without Ordonez, Guillen, V. Mart, Perry or Zumaya, and with Austin Jackson looking completely lost at the plate this year, this team just isn’t very good. Once again, the Tigers have too much talent laid up, and this AAAA lineup can’t compete, even with the Mariners. Isn’t that plot device getting old?

Anyone else totally and completely unsurprised that Inge grounded into a DP with the bases loaded and 1 out? Anyone?

by scotsw on Apr 20, 2011 at 12:49 am

26. It’s Brad’s Big Top..

Might be time to focus on Sharks-Kings…Sharks were down 4-0, now it’s 5-5.

by Coleman on Apr 20, 2011 at 1:00 am

27. Let’s just wake up tomorrow and pretend tonights game was just a bad dream!

by TORONTO TIGER on Apr 20, 2011 at 1:11 am

28. With goaltending like that, bring ‘em on!!!

by scotsw on Apr 20, 2011 at 1:43 am

29. Are we just getting bullpen pitchers from the discount rack at Wal-Mart or something? These guys are a dime a dozen and are just awful…

by Brenden on Apr 20, 2011 at 10:24 am

30. I think they were “due” for a blowout like this. Good to get all the crappy games and injuries out of the way early in the season, so they can come on strong in the second half.

by Vince in MN on Apr 20, 2011 at 2:18 pm

31. Brad Thomas has been auditioning for his dream job, batting practice pitcher

by Coleman on Apr 20, 2011 at 2:23 pm