Game 2011.11: Rangers at Tigers

by Kevin in Dallas on April 12, 2011 · 33 comments

in 2011 Season,Game Post

Post image for Game 2011.11: Rangers at Tigers

Let’s try short and sweet for a W.

1. AJax – CF
2. Santiago – 2B
3. Raburn – LF
4. Cabrera – 1B
5. Martinez – C
6.  Boesch – DH
7. Peralta – SS
8. Inge – 3B
9. Wells – RF

{ 33 comments }

Vince in MN April 12, 2011 at 12:12 pm

The other day Leyland said he thought our lineup matched up well against other teams’ lineups. However, he didn’t say WHICH lineup.

Coleman April 12, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I think he meant that the lineups smell similar.

Leyland can smell when players are struggling

TORONTO TIGER April 12, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Smokey is a QUACK……plain and simple! The Tigers would be better off without the couching and managerial staff that they have now…….lets get rid of them all and let the players manage themselves.

Vince in MN April 13, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Informative. We already knew he could smell “due-ness.”

Coleman April 12, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Call me crazy, but at the moment I think The Ghost is an upgrade over Odonez in the lineup. Hopefully Maggio’s hitting and fielding woes are related to his injuries, and are of a short-term nature.

It’s nice to see Ramon get a start, not that I mind Rhymes in the lineup. Sure, he isn’t hitting (teams have figured out to play him shallow, and he has been hitting line-drive outs that would be singles for hitters who are being played at normal depth), but he is managing to get on base, sees a lot of pitches, has a bit of speed, and has played a good 2B. The idea of bringing up Sizemore who will hit better, strike out more, and play a clunky 2B just doesn’t thrill me at the moment.

Anyway, Wee Willie Rhymes is now 5th in the AL in Pitches Per Plate Appearance with 4.61, and interestingly, tied for 2nd lowest in the league in number of swing-and-miss strikes, at an incredible 4%. (The league avg is 14%; Austin Jackson is at 22%). Guy just does not whiff, for what it’s worth (I’m guessing he’ll end up having a good Runner on 3rd–Less than 2 outs record).

Kevin in Dallas April 12, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I’d prefer to see Raburn 2nd, Boesch third, and Ramon 8th. But otherwise, I like it.

TORONTO TIGER April 12, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Wasn’t Penny supposed to be covering home plate? Sloppy baseball! They got lucky!

Coleman April 12, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Wow, Inge/Martinez really bailed out Bad Penny that inning

TORONTO TIGER April 12, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Nice 3B by Ajax…….but can he keep it going?

Coleman April 12, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Raburn with the save!

Coleman April 12, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Go Ramon! He saw Gene Lamont give the stop sign, so he knew that meant he should run.

scotsw April 12, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Yeah, Ramon has had a nice game all around… Smart baserunning, because that ball was deep in the gap.

Coleman April 12, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Yeah, I guess Gene can’t see that far

scotsw April 12, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Hey, I think we have to give Smokey a little credit for bringing in Villareal there — Rod was spot-on when he said the whole point was to keep the baserunner honest. So -1 for Gene, +1 for Jimmy.

Coleman April 12, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Villarreal with his 2nd pickoff of the season already, gets them out of the inning without even throwing a pitch.

Coleman April 12, 2011 at 3:20 pm

There is a lot to like about this game, but we are 0 – 2 with runners on 3rd less than 2 out (V Martinez, Santiago).

scotsw April 12, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Way to turn two, Miggy! That inning was dragging on FAR too long.

Steve April 12, 2011 at 4:30 pm

M I G G Y, I think everyone knows now I was watching the game at work.

OH Well

Coleman April 12, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Good hitting by Cabrera there, but I think the defense won this one:

-The play by Inge and Martinez to get Hamilton at home
-The Raburn HR-saving catch
-Jackson to Santiago to Inge to turn a triple into an out

Steve April 12, 2011 at 4:43 pm

= W

Coleman April 12, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I left out the double-play by Cabrera

Dre in Chi April 12, 2011 at 4:50 pm

How did Penny look live? Lack of Ks aside, the box-score at least suggests progress.

Coleman April 12, 2011 at 5:32 pm

He looked decent to me, but he did have a few times where he lobbed some not-so-fastballs over the middle of the plate–the Rangers smoked quite a few balls, Raburn picked one from the top of the fence, Beltre got caught by a perfect relay trying to stretch a double into a triple, Wells caught one on the warning track which Maggs might not have gotten to. So he was fine, but a lot of “whew.” But “fine” was better than I was expecting.

Dre in Chi April 12, 2011 at 5:42 pm

If he can pitch like 150in worth of this (at least in terms of results) he’ll be a good return on his contract. Here’s hoping Ricky-P can similarly improve on his last outing.

Coleman April 12, 2011 at 6:17 pm

In other news, Josh Hamilton shoulder is not so injured that he can’t throw is 3rd base coach under the bus:

“The whole time I was watching the play and I was listening. I was like, ‘Dude, I don’t want to go. Something is going to happen.’ But I listened to my coach and I went.”

Coleman April 12, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Looks like Hamilton is going to be out 8 weeks with a broken arm, according to ESPN…no wonder he was under-bus-tossing (of course you didn’t hear Magglio blame Lamont for his broken ankle).

ouchudied April 12, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Lame comment by Hamilton. The third base coach didn’t tell him to slide into home, and that is why you fractured your arm, Josh.

Only Tiger Fan in Mississippi April 12, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Ok Folks, here’s my first game candidate for a Game They Should of Lost. Why?

A. Raburn’s 3-run saving catch off the left field fence
B. Ramon’s relay peg to third spanking Beltrie try to stretch it into a triple
C. V-Mart’s running tag on an attempt tagup score at home after Inge’s foul catch with nobody cover home.
D. Texas was on a roll being 9-1
E. Tigers were only 3-7 after 10 games
F. Today’s my birthday!

Anyway this season score is Games Should of Won – 0, Games Should of Lost 1.

Dre in Chi April 12, 2011 at 7:04 pm

“Games Should of Won – 0″

That’s strange, I see that Brad Thomas has appeared in >0 games.

beejeez April 13, 2011 at 12:42 am

Happy birthday, Mississippi, and good points. But I know grammar like you know baseball, and it’s “should have,” not “should of.”

Coleman April 13, 2011 at 1:57 am

There’s no grammar in baseball…

Vince in MN April 13, 2011 at 1:02 pm

In baseball parlance, “shoulda” is actually correct.

Only Tiger Fan in Mississippi April 13, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Beejeez and Vince…well played Mauer!

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post:

Switch to our mobile site