Game 2010.107: White Sox at Tigers

Tigers need a W against Edwin Jackson if they want an opportunity to take the series tomorrow.

1. Vince in MN

August 4, 2010 at 5:53 pm

They need to “tough it out” and win the last two games. Losing the series puts them 9 out and they might as well hang it up. Even breaking even just leaves them spinning their wheels. They absolutely have to take a LARGE majority of their games against both the Twins (only 6 unfortunately) and Sox (11, including tonight) to have even a small shot at the division. Beating the teams above them is the ONLY way – nobody else is going to help them out. The deck is stacked against them and they will need a miracle – like playing above .500 on the road. Tonight is the first game of the rest of their season. That could still be true on Friday ……….. or not.

2. Vince in MN

August 4, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Inge has been activated and Worth, who just HAPPENED to have a bruised heel, was placed on the DL. Too bad it wasn’t Kelly that slipped getting out of the shower (non, nod, wink, wink).

3. Vince in MN

August 4, 2010 at 6:20 pm

1. Austin Jackson, CF
    2. Will Rhymes, 2B
    3. Johnny Damon, DH
    4. Miguel Cabrera, 1B
    5. Brennan Boesch, RF
    6. Jhonny Peralta, SS
    7. Brandon Inge, 3B
    8. Alex Avila, C
    9. Don Kelly, LF

Galarraga pitching

4. Coleman

August 4, 2010 at 6:37 pm

If Old Smokey really wanted to make life fun he would’ve told Inge Peralta was gonna play 3rd and that he was moving Inge to SS.

• kathy

August 4, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Totally agree!

5. kathy

August 4, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Well, I was just about to ask what they are saying on ESPN. We’re blacked out here in west MI. Rod just praised Inge for his leadership.

6. Tim D

August 4, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Kelly is hitting .198 against RH pitching so you need to get him in there for the platoon advantage. I’d rather see Frazier. Or anybody else for that matter.

I see Oakland claimed Larish off waivers. A guy Leyland just didn’t like. He is an Oakland type player, power, will take walks, defensively challenged. Totally wasted by the Tigers, I still think he will amount to something.

Leyland loves Rhymes. I hope DD doesn’t let Leyland play him ahead of Sizemore, but I get the impression Sizemore will be Larished next.

Nice to see Inge rush back. I hope he is really recovered. And I hope he hasn’t rushed back so he can kill us the last two months like he did last year.

I don’t get to see many games, hear a lot on the radio. Is Boesch hitting the ball hard? Does his stroke look messed up? Leyland says this is just a rookie slump thing and that may be true, but his ML numbers never indicated he could sustain that 1.000 OPS level. Assuming his normal level will be higher than his current suckitude, where will he establish himself? Can he hit .280/.350/.500 in which case he will be a solid regular, or when all is said and done does he go to .260/.310/.425 and become a 4th OF?

• Kevin in Dallas

August 4, 2010 at 9:52 pm

No. Unfortunately it’s been a lot of Ks, popups to the left side, and weak ground outs.

7. Mark in Chicago

August 4, 2010 at 8:19 pm

man, we are the unluckiest team in baseball right now. We’ve had 6 hits in the first 3 2/3 innings and we’ve missed how many hanging sliders and Avila hits a bullet that ends up as a double play and it goes on and on and on…

I know this stuff happens, but it feels like it’s been ongoing for WEEKS now. it’s just unreal.

• Vince in MN

August 4, 2010 at 8:33 pm

This has been going on for most of the year. I read an online article sometime before the AS break where the author mentioned that, yeah, the Tigers RISP was about league average, but considering their BA and OBP, they just weren’t getting runners moved around and their scoring oportunites where therefore less than what would have been projected. I can’t remember what kind of metric they were using to determne this, but recalling the GIDPs, CS and runners getting tossed out as well as a lot of station to station offense, it seemed to make sense to me.

• Vince in MN

August 4, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Maybe it was R3L20 opportuniteis were average and overall RISP was below expectations.

• Mark in Chicago

August 4, 2010 at 9:02 pm

beyond that, it’s bad umpire calls (i mean the really obvious misses) and injuries (which everyone has, but not like this and not all at once), and seeing eye singles (ask Porcello about those) it’s just astounding.

8. kathy

August 4, 2010 at 8:28 pm

No team chemistry.

• Vince in MN

August 4, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Obviously there is a cancer in the clubhouse.

• kathy

August 4, 2010 at 8:48 pm

SELL!

9. kathy

August 4, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Edwin Jackson was my Billfer’s Matt Joyce. Personally, I thought he was the most handsome Tiger on the team. He and Verlander seemed to get along very well.

• kathy

August 4, 2010 at 9:11 pm

besides Magglio, of course.

10. Coleman

August 4, 2010 at 9:15 pm

And I think it’s bad luck with special circumstances to get beaten so many times by ex-Tigers.

11. Chris

August 4, 2010 at 9:36 pm

I’ve already penceled-in a horrific 2nd half for the 2011 season. Every year that’s what we get.

12. Coleman

August 4, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Bhinge!

13. Vince in MN

August 4, 2010 at 9:43 pm

R3L2O fail.

14. Kevin in Dallas

August 4, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Boesch with 5 runners LOB…I’d hate to see what his RISP numbers look like over the past month.

• Vince in MN

August 4, 2010 at 10:10 pm

2 for 24 RISP, 3 for 38 with any baserunner since the break (not including tongiht).

15. Coleman

August 4, 2010 at 9:55 pm

R3L2O-Fail is a Raburn specialty

16. Kevin in Dallas

August 4, 2010 at 9:56 pm

I thought I saw earlier today that Jackson was 2-0 with a sub 3.50 ERA v the Tigers this year? Not sure where, did anyone else see that?

• Mark in Chicago

August 4, 2010 at 10:54 pm

with AZ at Comerica during interleague play. I remember because I was actually at that game (the only one they lost that weekend).

17. kathy

August 4, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Mickey Rourke with “Tigers Live”. Really? Could have fooled me.

18. Vince in MN

August 4, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Here’s the gruesome on Boesch since July 11 if anybody is interested:

• Kevin in Dallas

August 4, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Ouch. If I am recalling correctly, he hasn’t had an off day since…right?

• Mark in Chicago

August 4, 2010 at 11:24 pm

I seem to recall he had one day off, against a tough lefty, maybe a week and a half ago.

Boesch has a .171 BABIP over the last 30 days, (only Franklin Guttierez is worse) and a robust 9.2 LD% (only Markakis is worse). Those are obscenely bad numbers.

For some epic numbers though, Laird has posted a .221 BABIP for the entire season, which is actually better than Aaron Hill at .207. I’m not even sure how that’s possible. Last year’s bottom dragger was Ian Kinsler with a .241 BABIP.

• Vince in MN

August 4, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Yes, there seem to be a lot of ground balls and pop ups lately for Boesch. 17 K in 75 AB isn’t all that bad.

• Vince in MN

August 4, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Ouch is right. From Friday July 16th (1st game after AS game) through tonight, he has started 20 out of 21 games. 7 for 75, 1 2B, 9 BB, 17 K, 4 RBI. That translates to an OPS of .295 (.188 + .107)

• Kevin in Dallas

August 5, 2010 at 12:19 am

How can Leyland not give the poor kid a few days off. Obviously “toughing it out” isn’t working. I’m sure he’ll eventually return to an above average hitter, but this has got to be killing his self-confidence. If we were actually in the race I’d be even more upset.

• Mark in Chicago

August 5, 2010 at 9:24 am

don’t you see? he DUE! just like Laird. well, not just like Laird because Boesch is good, but I think you get my point.

19. kathy

August 4, 2010 at 11:26 pm

The Tigers Live broadcast ends with “End of Summer” song again.

20. Kevin in Dallas

August 5, 2010 at 12:16 am

Josh Hamilton is hitting .431 over his past 54 games (1/3 of a season). Sick.

21. Coleman

August 5, 2010 at 1:02 am

Leyland is Sheltoning him.

(and Raburn is the new Craig Monroe)