The Tigers selected high school third baseman Nick Castellanos with the 44th pick in the draft. A few moments later they selected Chance Ruffin, a reliever from Texas.
Castellanos is a trademark Tigers/Chadd/Ilitch pick. A top talent who slides in the draft to where the Tigers are only too happy to snap him up.
Nick Castellanos – MLB.com Scouting Report
Chance Ruffin fits in the Tigers mold of polished college relief pitchers. He breaks the mold in terms of his size and stuff. His fastball is low 90’s and he only stands 6-1.
Chance Ruffin – MLB.com Scouting Report
David Chadd commented on the selections via conference call late Monday night:
- On Castellanos he said that the toolset and package was “impossible to pass up at 44”
- Chadd saw Ruffin twice and he dominated both times and agreed with the comparisons to Huston Street
- Chadd said that Castellanos has plus hittability and he thinks that plus power will develop. His toolset is “polished.” He will move to third base for the Tigers.
- Ruffin could start at a higher level due to advanced pitchability
- Castellanos’ family has ties to Detroit
- Chadd once again talked about the support that he has from Mike Ilitch and Dave Dombrowski to draft the best player available. Chadd woudn’t say where he had Castellanos ranked on his board but said the answer would shock. (Incidentally Baseball America has Castellanos ranked #14).
Photo Credit: LakelandLocal