What I Think About the 2010 Season
I’m not going to do a big prediction post this season. I did make some predictions for Baseball Daily Digest. I have the Tigers finishing second behind the Twins, and pretty much have the AL Central finishing the same as last season. I think the Tigers are about an 82-83 win team with enough upside and risk that the basement and first place are both within reach in a narrow division.
Having said that, here are some thoughts (almost like predictions) about what we’ll see this season from Detroit.
- Scott Sizemore will succeed. I’m not predicting ROY awards (though I wouldn’t be shocked) but he’ll hit well enough that his average fielding won’t be an issue. Plus he’ll say the right things and do all those little things that are so popular that fans will love him.
- Magglio Ordonez’s contract will be an issue once again this season as he approaches his vesting milestones. He’ll hit over .300 and be productive enough that cutting him won’t be a viable option.
- The Tigers will use at least 9 starters this year.
- Andy Oliver might not be one of those starters, but I bet he sees big league innings this year.
- Clete Thomas is the first Mud Hen to be called up.
- Adam Everett will struggle with the stick (even for his standards) and there will be calls for Brent Dlugach by mid May.
- Jeremy Bonderman gets more starts than Dontrelle Willis
- Verlander wins the Cy Young award