PREGAME: Let’s do this again. After a very long day of baseball, it’s just a regular night at the ballpark. Except that it is the immovable force named Carl Pavano that the Tigers will be going up against.
Pavano’s mastery of all things Tigers and few things not-Tigers is one of those epic mysteries. It’s the stuff of a Time-Life book series (Coincidence? Read the book!). The last time out the Tigers got to Pavano for a ga-jillion baserunners but not so many runs.
In a similar vein, we’ll see of Eddie Bonine’s powers of seduction (I’m for sure going to be the number 1 Google hit for “eddie bonine power of seduction) extend beyond the Chicago White Sox. Bonine faced the Twins once last year and it resulted in a 7-0 loss. Here’s hoping for a better outcome.
I’m in Alexandria, Virginia but it was easy to find Tigers fans. And even fans without a rooting interest were pulling for the Tigers tonight. Pirates fans, and Red Sox fans, and pretty much everyone I ran into was on the Tigers bandwagon tonight. It was awesome. And there was beer.
But meanwhile, those in Detroit took care of business. The boys gave us all reason to be proud. Eddie Bonine was shaky to start, but after allowing 2 runs in the first that would be it for the Twins.
Now we’ve seen before what happens when Carl Pavano pitches and it is mostly frustration and angst for Tigers fans. But tonight the Tigers got him. They got him good. They got him real good.
Brandon Inge and Magglio Ordonez. Two Tigers who have had their highs and lows this season both delivered bases loaded doubles. Both came up huge. Both should be celebrated.
- I don’t get using Miner in 3 innings and I don’t get using Lyon with a 5 run lead and I don’t get using Rodney with a 5 run lead. But only Miner is likely unavailable tomorrow. And really, tonight is much more important than tomorrow…until tomorrow.
- Twice the Tigers splashed a Brett Favre graphic over the Tigers game. Yeah, I don’t get it either.
- Little has been easy for the Tigers this year, but this was as close to an easy win as the Tigers have had in a while.
- Ramon Santiago has driven in runs in his last 2 starts. Kudos Ramon.
- Yeah, I’m pretty giddy right now.
- Oh yeah, 34K in attendance tonight. Way to go Detroit.