Many of the principles involved in the drafting and signing process were on a conference call to discuss the draft. Here are some of the highlights from the call.
Key: DC=David Chadd, DD=Dave Dombrowski, JT=Jacob Turner, DF=Daniel Fields, BF=Bruce Fields, JF=Julie Fields, AO=Andrew Oliver
- DD: Willing to go over slot because these players were the best available and could help the organization the most
- JT: “Dream come true to play for an organization like the Tigers.”
- AO: Exciting day and reassuring that the hard work and dedication is paying off
- DF: “Exiciting day getting drafted by the Tigers, my hometown team.”
- DC: All 3 players are heading to Lakeland to get in shape and all will participate in the instructional league. That’s the only plan right now
- DF: On his decision he said it was very tough because he loves Michigan but it was an opportunity he couldn’t pass up.
- BF: “It’s a dream come true” to have his son follow in his footsteps. They wanted him to go to school all along, but left the decision up to him.
- DF: On his exposure to big league clubhouses as a kid: “It’s helped a lot because I’ve seen how hard everybody has to work to get to the major leagues.”
- DC: “Jacob and Andy give us an influx of starting pitching right away. Daniel gives us a tremendous amount of options as far as his athletic ability goes. He’s a talented shortstop that I can see down the road playing multiple positions. I’m not ruling him out as a SS, he’s coming out as a SS.”
- AO: Early in the year he got stuck between a slider and a curve and he’s excited to work with the organization to get his breaking ball back.