Game 2009.096: White Sox at Tigers

PREGAME: Can the Tigers pick up another win against the White Sox? To do so they’ll have to get past Gavin Floyd who has kind of owned the Tigers since even before he was good.

Floyd has fanned 14 and walked just 2 in his last 2 starts. However he has allowed 5 of his 12 homers in those last 2 starts as well.

But things aren’t that easy for the White Sox either who will have to deal with Edwin Jackson. Jackson has been walking too many lately but has still pitched into the 7th inning in his last 5 starts.

This is a Fox game of of the week. Chris Rose and Mark Grace are your announcers, and unfortunately if you’re not in Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, or Indianapolis you’ll be watching this one through the magic of MLB Gameday.

Chi White Sox vs. Detroit – July 25, 2009 | MLB.com: Gameday

POSTGAME: Yay. Baseball is fun again. The Tigers have found some clutch mojo and the timing couldn’t be more clutch. This team was a disaster 48 hours ago and now they have a 3 game lead in the division. I love baseball.

Edwin Jackson’s control wasn’t as sharp as it was early in the season, but once again you look and he’s gotten the team into the 7th inning stretch and has only allowed 3 runs. Yay.

The offense never really figured out Gavin Floyd, but they took advantage of Paul Konerko error and did that whole “score the runner from 3rd with less than 2 out thing.” Miguel Cabrera got a hit with a runner in scoring position. Yay.

And when the Tigers needed some late inning runs, they got bloopers and worked counts and scratched out a run in the 9th off of Jenks and one more in the 10th, and you can put it on the board.

Posted by on July 25, 2009.

Categories: 2009 Season, Game Post

1. I HATE Fox Saturday Games. They are never on here.

by Chris in Nashville on Jul 25, 2009 at 3:04 pm

2. Ditto. I am in the market of the Phillies and they have seemingly been on every week.

by David G. on Jul 25, 2009 at 3:15 pm

3. According to gameday, it seems Jackson is being hit hard. So far he has recorded three outs by line drives. Is he really being hit that hard?

by ouchudied on Jul 25, 2009 at 4:55 pm

4. maybe it’s been mentioned before, but has anyone noticed that Chris Rose describes 90% of balls put into play as “ripped”.

by qbwaggle on Jul 25, 2009 at 5:42 pm

5. Ejax could be 7-6 with a 2.60 era. Poor guy.

by mcb on Jul 25, 2009 at 5:53 pm

6. Still close, still have a chance. How about some late inning heroics?

by Tbone on Jul 25, 2009 at 6:05 pm

7. Ozzie not going to turn Carlos around it seems

by Forty on Jul 25, 2009 at 6:43 pm

8. Dang Santiago!! All we needed was a flyball to the outfield! Anything but a popup to short! Leaving it all to Granderson…

by Smith on Jul 25, 2009 at 7:03 pm

9. WOW GRANDY!! WOOOO!

by Smith on Jul 25, 2009 at 7:04 pm

10. You can put it on the board….

by Mike in CT on Jul 25, 2009 at 7:25 pm

11. Dear Hawk, put this on the board: 3 game lead, sweep on Sunday.

by Forty on Jul 25, 2009 at 7:25 pm

12. Today was a good day.

by Kevin in Dallas on Jul 25, 2009 at 7:25 pm

13. HELL YEAH CARLOS!!!

by Anson on Jul 25, 2009 at 7:26 pm

14. I really like this Guillen guy we picked up at the deadline. He’s been a nice add.

by scotsw on Jul 25, 2009 at 7:27 pm

15. LETS BRING THE BROOMS TOMORROW!!!!!!!

by jud on Jul 25, 2009 at 7:34 pm

16. lets see Anderson out and Guillen in…did that work or what!!!!!!

by jud on Jul 25, 2009 at 7:50 pm

17. I don’t have a problem with not bunting Guillen. Raburn (who may have been intentionally walked) and Inge are both major threats to pop up or strike out. If it was Santiago at the plate with Granderson and Polanco following, that’s different.

by Jeff on Jul 25, 2009 at 11:16 pm

18. Bunting Guillen would have been a bad move strategically, as Raburn would then have been intentionally walked, putting Everett at the plate. With Maggs the only other available player, he probably sticks with Everett there.

by steeser on Jul 25, 2009 at 11:17 pm

19. I was down there and I was surprised the crowd was not louder. Maybe there were too many Sox fans. Went with my friend who brought his 5 year old to his first game. The little guy felt fully responsible for the win since we taught him about the rally cap in the 9th inning.

by mcb on Jul 25, 2009 at 11:38 pm

20. My mistake, it would have been Everett, not Inge, in that situation.

by Jeff on Jul 25, 2009 at 11:38 pm

21. Awesome.

by Kevin in Dallas on Jul 26, 2009 at 12:19 am

22. It’s the bottom of the ninth inning,
    Tigers have no chance at winning,
    on the mound is Obama’s fat lady singing.

Gruntled fans turn off the TV’s in despair,
    but then something miraculous starts stirring in the air,
    Tigers tie it with a Granderson double dare.
    Then win in the 10th on a Guillen flare.

The lesson is that it’s never over till it’s done,
    no need to cry tonight because the Tigers have won.

by Keith (Mr. X) on Jul 26, 2009 at 12:33 am

23. I don’t think you bunt Guillen there at all. He’s a good hitter and has swung the bat well since coming off the DL. Why take the bat out of his hands?

by Mark in Chicago on Jul 26, 2009 at 12:42 am

24. Yeah, they were stinging some balls hard off of E-Jax today.

by Jerry the Tiger Fan on Jul 26, 2009 at 12:44 am

25. Could’ve been worse. At least he didn’t follow the lead of his teammates and hit intothe dreaded GIDP.

by Jerry the Tiger Fan on Jul 26, 2009 at 12:45 am

26. Plus I don’t remember Guillen being a particularly adept bunter in his Tiger career. I agree with not bunting there, however if Everett, Laird or Santiago were up a bunt would’ve been in order.

by Jerry the Tiger Fan on Jul 26, 2009 at 12:48 am

27. Must disagree on the last bullet point billfer (for one of the rare times) – Perry worries the hell out of me. The DP was just what the doctor ordered, but he got a case of the yips after that. Isn’t there anybody that can throw strikes as a set-up man?

That probably sounds like whining and I don’t mean it to. Like I said, this is going to be a sweep with extreme prejudice. Go Porcello!

Quick question – am I going to be the only one watching the game on mute? Fire Joe Morgan. Dot com. And such. (Goodness gracious, I miss those guys)

by Chris in Dallas on Jul 26, 2009 at 1:17 am

28. I was there and was fairly impressed with how loud it was in the 9th, actually. Not much happened before that to make noise about.

by Ron on Jul 26, 2009 at 11:08 am

29. We should sign Chad Henne for tonight’s game.

by Greg on Jul 26, 2009 at 12:14 pm

30. For the price of one great night at the ball park surely you could buy a sports package from a cable provider.Watch them all. For me there is only two teams in MLB. Us and them. Yesterday, I liked us to win and right down to the end knew we were in it. What more than that can a fan ask for? When it comes to the end of the regular season and they give us one more road series or home stand. Thank you.
    As for skipper’s decisions? If he never hears the end of anything… it aint coming from the bench.
    Inge looked like he was about to pick up a crystal vase when he was running to the mob at home. I wonder if someone yelled “dont break him’. If so then someone is thinkin’.
    This team offers me the chance to let my imagination run wild and free.
    Call me crszy if you would like, but i see Maggs hitting some hard liners in Boston. Lots of hard liners. I dont know if we have a trip there left this year or not but I know we got the White Sox today. Great summary of the game Billfer.
    Here is a hanging curve for someone to beat on.
    Guillen in and Anderson out is a no brainer. Personally I would like to see management keep him around and away from others for sure. With a good jump that kid could score on a wiffed bunt.
    Holliday went 3 for 4 his first game with St Louis. Guillen also hit well. Would think there would be a spike in average. Holliday because he now has something to play for. Guillen because he is back with his team. One that everyday could win. Timing is everything and his return and bats heating up at the same time would be a blessing. It is Sunday.

by Dwayne on Jul 26, 2009 at 12:21 pm