Tigers Minor League Wrap 5/31/09

Charlotte 0 Toledo 6
We covered the pitching for this game already. Marcus Thames homered, singled and walked. Mike Hessman homered. Don Kelly walked twice and doubled.

Akron 2 Erie 7
Scott Sizemore and And Dirks each had 3 hits. Ryan Strieby tripled and singled. Luis Marte allowed just 2 hits and 1 run, though he did walk 4 in 7 innings.

Lakeland 6 Palm Beach 5
Justin Henry went 3 for 5. Michael Bertram had 2 hits and 2 walks. Trevor Feeney allowed 1 unearned run in 5 innings with 3 hits, a walk, and 4 K’s.

Wisconsin 8 West Michigan 3
Gustavo Nunez had 4 hits, 2 of which were doubles. Mauricio Robles battled his control and walked 5 on the way to 5 runs allowed in 3 innings. Jered Gayhart fanned 2 with one hit allowed in 2 innings.

Posted by on June 1, 2009.

Tags:

Categories: 2009 Season, Injuries, Minors

1. Billfer or anyone else in the know:

WHy is there not a ton of hype about Ryan Striebe. The guy seems like he is just tearing apart AA right now and has improved every year he has been in the minors as he moves up through the levels. To me, this guy is the star prospect in the system and you hardly ever hear anything about him. Also, does he play any position beside 1b?

by jb61973 on Jun 1, 2009 at 11:13 am

2. He’s probably hitting himself into prospect status I’d guess. BA has him as the top power hitter in the system. Though I think the Tigers are happy with their current 1B…

by Chris in Dallas on Jun 1, 2009 at 11:29 am

3. That’s a good question. People who watched him a lot seemed to think he would not hit as well at the higher levels. However, he’s having a good year at AA, the level where prospects often die. I think we might hear more hype soon. He’s blocked by Cabrera obviously but might be good piece in a trade.

Lee

by Lee Panas on Jun 1, 2009 at 11:30 am

4. I remember reading in a Henning article that Strieby has been trying to transition to the outfield. If you look at the lineup in the game, he starts in LF and then moves to 1B later in the game.

by Brian P on Jun 1, 2009 at 11:46 am

5. Ryan Strieby has been playing some left field.

by Mr. X on Jun 1, 2009 at 11:59 am

6. in fairness to billfer, he was all over Streiby about a year or so ago. i am too lazy to look up the article, but I distinctly remember him talking about it.

by Mark in Chicago on Jun 1, 2009 at 12:38 pm

7. If you scramble the letters of Ryan Strieby it spells Matt Wieters.

by Coleman on Jun 1, 2009 at 1:08 pm

8. I don’t know if I was all over him, but I did get wrapped up in his 6 game homer streak last July.

The thing with Strieby that may be tempering expectations is that Jerry Uht park in Erie is generally hitter friendly. So adjust the numbers somewhat, but Strieby has hit for the last 2 years.

In a top 30 prospect list I did last November I had him 25th. Without looking at anything else he feels like a 15ish right now.

by billfer on Jun 1, 2009 at 1:25 pm