Game 2009.057: Tigers at White Sox

by billfer on June 8, 2009 · 69 comments

in 2009 Season,Game Post

PREGAME: The nice thing about winning the first game of a doubleheader is that there is no pressure of being swept. But, a sweep sure would be nice.

The Tigers welcome back Jeremy Bonderman who will be throwing his first big league pitch in over a year. He’s still looking for all of his fastball velocity to return, so we’ll see what a craftier Bonderman can bring to the table.

Jose Contreras will be on the mound for the White Sox. The Tigers have scored at least 4 runs in each of their last 5 starts against Contreras. Hopefully that continues today.

Your lineup for tonight’s action:

1. Anderson, LF
  2. Polanco, 2B
  3. Thomas, RF
  4. Cabrera, DH
  5. Granderson, CF
  6. Inge, 3B
  7. Raburn, 1B
  8. Laird, C
  9. Santiago, SS

Detroit vs. Chi White Sox – June 8, 2009 | MLB.com: Gameday

POSTGAME: Well that game sucked. Jeremy Bonderman wasn’t good. Not at all. It wasn’t just the homers, it was all the other hard hit balls, and the walks. I think it’s safe to say that Armando Galarraga’s spot in the rotation is safe for the time being. Jeremy Bonderman has options, he also has the right to refuse, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see the Tigers ask him to go to Toledo if there isn’t progress in his next start. And based on Bondo’s comments earlier it doesn’t sound like something he’d resist.

And then there was the offense which didn’t exist despite the fact Jose Contreras was pitching. Weak ground balls and lazy flyballs were the recipe for a near shutout. Finally, let’s not bat Josh Anderson leadoff anymore.

{ 1 trackback }

{ 68 comments }

Brian P June 8, 2009 at 8:03 pm

I was going to whine about resting Ordonez and Thames, but their numbers against Contreras aren’t pretty. Bonderman may need all the defense he can get.

JOE Z June 8, 2009 at 8:12 pm

ME DONS THE BONDERMAN JERSEY FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 12 MONTHS

LETS DO THIS AND GET A DOUBLEHEADER SWEEP !

ouchudied June 8, 2009 at 8:24 pm

The ‘in play, run(s)’ message is never a good thing. Especially when there is no one on base. Then you kind of know what just happened.

Coleman June 8, 2009 at 8:28 pm

Actually it’s worse with guys on base, since they use the (s) no matter what, so of course I always think oh no they all scored run(s)…

Brian P June 8, 2009 at 8:30 pm

Well, the first inning troubles weren’t residing in that one rib.

Coleman June 8, 2009 at 8:33 pm

It’s hard to complain about the walks really, when the non-walks are all sailing deep…

Neal June 8, 2009 at 8:33 pm

Are the Sox playing, “I can hit it farther than you!”?
And now Bonderman’s afraid to throw a strike?

ouchudied June 8, 2009 at 8:35 pm

OK, ill take that first inning any day, with all things considered.

Dylan June 8, 2009 at 8:36 pm

Thank you Ramon.. I thought that was gonna drop.

David June 8, 2009 at 8:44 pm

Them first innings for Bondo be bad. Rememba?

Ryan P. June 8, 2009 at 8:45 pm

You know you suck when you can’t score on Contreras.

And Bonderman just doesn’t have it anymore. Now it’s just a question of who doesn’t have it more, him or Dontrelle. Should be a thrilling competition.

Ryan P. June 8, 2009 at 8:48 pm

And giving up a PODSEDNIK home run (lolol) solidifies that.

Coleman June 8, 2009 at 8:49 pm

No–it sucks when Podsednik hits a HR…

Jerry the Tiger Fan June 8, 2009 at 8:48 pm

Ramon saved Bondo’s bacon with a gorgeous running catch to take away what would have been a 2-run bloop single of the bat of Getz.

On a side note: I know Cabrera is our best player and is less than 100%, but it feels like he hasn’t hit a ball hard in over a week (even before the injury). Wouldn’t have minded seeing Thames in the DH spot for this game. Cabrera looks well below 100% right now and we are getting nothing from him. As I type this the “powerful” Posednik takes Bondo deep. Zach better get heated up in a hurry in the pen because Bondo is not long for this game.

Brian P June 8, 2009 at 8:48 pm

Why does he keep trying to go inside with 90?

Brian P June 8, 2009 at 8:54 pm

haha. Edgar Renteria broke up the no-no.

Ryan P. June 8, 2009 at 8:56 pm

These swings off of Contreras are the most pathetic thing I have ever seen.

Ryan P. June 8, 2009 at 9:01 pm

Sigh.

Dylan June 8, 2009 at 9:02 pm

This 89 mph fastball for Bondo isn’t quite workin out…. Disappointed that we can’t get anything going against Contreras either.

Neal June 8, 2009 at 9:03 pm

How many HR’s can Bonderman give up?
I don’t think it can be more than 5, he already’s thrown 60 pitches in less than 3 innings.

Jerry the Tiger Fan June 8, 2009 at 9:05 pm

This is why this afternoon’s victory was John Holmes-huge for the Tigers. Tomorrow is a lost cause with Anxiety Boy vs. Buerhle and we had no idea what to expect from Bondo. This game is getting away in a hurry. If I’m Leyland I get Miner or Robertson in their pronto before it gets completely out of hand. I’d also put Miner back in the starting rotation and let Bondo work on building up his stamina in long relief out of the pen. Willis? He can go play in heavy traffic on I-75 for all I care.

Chris June 8, 2009 at 9:06 pm

Time for Bonderman to retire.

billfer June 8, 2009 at 10:37 pm

Yeah, because at age 26 he’s all washed up. He’s throwing 89-90 less than a year removed from major arm surgery. He may not be ready for big league hitters but retirement would seem a bit premature.

Neal June 8, 2009 at 9:06 pm

My question to the staff and coach: Who thought Bonderman learned how to pitch with a loss of velocity in a one month rehab stint, especially since he hadn’t shown an ability to pitch just prior to the surgery when he had more velocity?

Chris June 8, 2009 at 9:11 pm

My hope is that they don’t try to stick it out with him. If it were me, he would get one more start to show us something. If it’s anything like this, it would be goodbye.

Chris June 8, 2009 at 9:08 pm

Time for Polanco to retire as well

Neal June 8, 2009 at 9:10 pm

Who’s going to be left?

Mcb June 8, 2009 at 9:11 pm

Contreras struggled are yr. Era over 8 to start and we make him look like an ace

Chris June 8, 2009 at 9:17 pm

Too bad we can’t get the Tiger hitters to go up against Bonderman.

Ryan P. June 8, 2009 at 9:14 pm

Way to walk that .235 career backup catcher there, Bondo.

Chris Y. June 8, 2009 at 9:14 pm

4-0 after three.five is by no means insurmountable. Even is it turns out to be so, this is baseball after all.

Chin up, I don’t think anyone on our roster needs to call it a career.

Ryan P. June 8, 2009 at 9:16 pm

Way too many fastballs tonight. He’s going to have to learn how to throw the change and slider for a strike.

Andrew June 8, 2009 at 9:23 pm

Thanks Chris Y. I agree. What’s with all the negativity? Bondo wasn’t going to be an ace right out of the gate. We threw him in on a day-night doubleheader because he was our best option. He’s obviously gonna have to work himself back into it. It’s certainly not time to release him, right off major surgery recovery and rehab.

To suggest Willis needs to die in traffic is pretty dumb too.

Chris June 8, 2009 at 9:33 pm

Bonderman wasn’t a very good pitcher before the injury and loss in arm strength. I don’t know what the hell is going to make him better now. I say release him. We don’t need another starter anyway.

stephen June 8, 2009 at 9:44 pm

Yeah, the negativity is around the fact Bonderman was mediocre and didn’t seem very bright on the mound before he lost velocity so the idea he was suddenly going to become a thinking man’s pitcher was a bit of a farce. I’m definitely not saying release him, you’ve got to give him the rest of the season, but if the velocity doesn’t return I don’t see him becoming Frank Tanana. He just ain’t that bright.

Ryan P. June 8, 2009 at 9:57 pm

Way to be hatin’ on the dyslexic.

Chris June 8, 2009 at 9:27 pm

What the hell, Tiger hitters?!… Freaking quit swinging the bat and make Contreras pitch and not put you on with a walk. You suck at hitting and your only hope is that the opposing pitcher sucks even more!!!!

Jerry the Tiger Fan June 8, 2009 at 9:43 pm

I didn’t suggest he needed to “die in traffic”. Maybe just have a motorist runover his foot or something that lands him on the 60-day DL. :-) Lighten up Francis! I’m interested in winning and I don’t believe that WIllis is part of that equation. I’m sooooo sorry I offended your sensibilites! When people say they are going to kill someone do you run out and call the police? Bottom line: Willis the worst signing of this decade by any franchise, with the possible exception of Pavano to the Yankees.

Kevin in Dallas (used to be Austin) June 8, 2009 at 9:49 pm

In the last 30 days, the Tigers are top 10 in the majors in Avg and RS. In the past 7 days they are bottom 10 in average, and 18 in RS. Not as bad as I thought it would be…

Ryan P. June 8, 2009 at 9:52 pm

Voting for Miner as the 5th starter.

Dylan June 8, 2009 at 9:55 pm

This is a pathetic offensive performance.

Mark in Chicago June 8, 2009 at 10:02 pm

Bonderman can’t get big league hitters out with his current stuff.

David G. June 8, 2009 at 10:05 pm

Am I the only one that actually was a tiny bit encouraged by Bonderman’s night? I mean, Ervin Santana got ROCKED his first two times out, and I thought Bonderman’s pitches had some decent movement on them. The one that Thome hit out I thought was a very good pitch, looked like it was diving on the outside corner. Obviously I’d like to see the velocity gain another 3-4 MPH but that’s not out of the question and we should give him a few starts before burying him, I think, based on what I saw (I did not see him give up the last two runs, though).

Ryan P. June 8, 2009 at 10:09 pm

Santana actually got rocked his 3rd and 4th times out. He was pretty good in the first two. Of course, all of his issues were solved by facing the Tigers in his 5th start.

T Smith June 9, 2009 at 3:03 pm

Let’s have Bonderman pitch a mock game against the Tigers. Our lineup is apparently reviving careers.

Ryan P. June 8, 2009 at 10:16 pm

I can’t believe we’re getting one-hit by effing Jose Contreras. What a joke.

Mark in Chicago June 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Frustrating and sad indeed.

NoNon June 8, 2009 at 10:39 pm

I wonder how many of these fans calling for Bonderman’s head right now were the same ones giving him a standing ovation after what he did against the Yanks in 06……oh how short our memory is and even shorter our patience

Ryan P. June 9, 2009 at 6:56 am

I don’t see how a good game three years ago has anything to do with how we feel about his performance today.

Mr. X June 8, 2009 at 10:40 pm

That was a huge win for Chicago and Contreras. They were sinking faster than the Titanic.

Mr. X June 8, 2009 at 10:42 pm

Bonderman right now is no better than Eddie Bonine.

Mr. X June 8, 2009 at 10:47 pm

Prediction- Willis will follow his no-hitter with a perfect game Tomorrow.

Coleman June 8, 2009 at 10:59 pm

Well…at least we managed the Country 2-hit…

Actually I think that run, while useless tonight, helps the cause long term…Marcus just gave Uncle Smokey the thumbs up that he’s ready to roll…

I’m liking the thought of Cabrera-Granderson-Thames-Inge…

In fact, when he comes down to it, a singles-hitting Ordonez in front of them is not so bad either, not at all…

In another fact, there could be worse guys following all that than SacMan Everett, who is 2nd in AL with 7 sac bunts, and 3rd on Tigers with runner on 3rd less than 2 out with 1.030 OPS, 11 RBI in 11 PA (Inge leads the way with 1.814 OPS…do not look up Larish’s numbers, your head will hurt like Lyon is on the mound with Crede on base and Dye at bat and Luke Scott on deck…)

kdog June 8, 2009 at 11:36 pm

But Anderson runs fast!!!! He has to lead off.

Brenden June 9, 2009 at 12:26 am

Bonderman doesn’t seem to be ready, his lack of velocity is a real killer. And go figure, another struggling pitcher owns us. How many does that make on the season? This offense is quite frustrating. I’m hoping the big guys can start producing and soon. Polanco, Maggs, Cabrera needs to be healthy. We need better consistency…

Adam June 9, 2009 at 2:49 am

I think it’s more Bonderman’s lack of ability to put the ball anywhere BUT right in the middle of the zone that is killer. What’s Kenny teaching him in his fireside chats? To lay it down the pipe? Bondo’s used to doing that, it’s how he used to pitch.

Now he’s got to paint!

And man, I’m glad we have so much to complain about. Because it can only get better, and we’re in first place already. Bring it on!

jud June 9, 2009 at 1:38 am

Hey Billfer,
do you think this is a Major League Record.. Since May 15 the Tigers while in first place have lost 5 games to pitchers winning their first game of the year…the two in Pittsburgh, Dice K….Escobar…and Contreras…this couldn’t have possiby happened before could it……it would be hard enough at the beginning of the year to lose to 5 guys winning their first let alone in May and June.

jud June 9, 2009 at 1:41 am

Hey Billfer,
do you think this is a Major League Record.. Since May 15 the Tigers while in first place have lost 5 games to pitchers winning their first game of the year…the two in Pittsburgh, Dice K….Escobar…and Contreras..This couldn’t have possiby happened before could it?…..It would be hard enough at the beginning of the year to lose to 5 guys winning their first let alone in May and June.

billfer June 9, 2009 at 5:07 am

It may be. It is certainly frustrating.

Ryan P. June 9, 2009 at 7:01 am

Escobar took the loss against Jackson on Saturday. Although it’s still true that we did nearly nothing against him.

Also, we haven’t played Pittsburgh yet?

T Smith June 9, 2009 at 3:18 pm

I’m sure he meant the two rookie sensations that owned the Tigers at Camden Yards.

jud June 10, 2009 at 12:00 am

let me correct myself
Baltimore Hernandez first win NMay28
Baltimore Bergison first win May29
Dice K first win June 2
Santanas First win June 5
Contrares first win June 7
has to be a major league record……all while in first place

Ryan P. June 10, 2009 at 12:18 am

That was actually Bergesen’s 2nd win. Got everything else though, and yes, it’s sad.

josh June 9, 2009 at 4:42 am

oh ya that makes sense, lets get rid of perry for a 6-1 loss, bonderman giving up all 6 runs… ya great move. don’t know if i could be a tigers fan after this, because obviously, wins are less important than salary… i might have to change who i root for because from my perspective wins are not an issue… perry has helped us maintain the first place status, and now u send him down with the second lowest era on the team. has to be good for his confidence, great job guys… happy to know u guys ‘know’ what’s best for the team…

billfer June 9, 2009 at 5:06 am

I really don’t think Perry will be gone long. And I’m not sure how he would have helped in the 6-1 loss. I’m also not sure why wins became less important than salary. The Tigers need 6 starters at the moment because of the doubleheader. They also need more data points to see if Willis has anything. After his start today, they’ll make some decisions and the the pitching staff will get sorted out. Perry has to stay down a minimum of 10 days unless someone goes on the DL. I’d expect he’d be back at pretty close to the minimum.

Birdy June 9, 2009 at 5:24 am

Huh? The Tigers beat Kelvim Escobar and haven’t played Pittsburgh yet.

Brian P June 9, 2009 at 11:40 am

Congratulations to Marcus.

Ryan P. June 9, 2009 at 11:53 am

LOL

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post:

Switch to our mobile site