Game 2009.077: Tigers at A’s

Galarraga and Ryan warm up before the start PREGAME: Gio Gonzalez takes on Armando Galarraga.

Galarraga continues to teeter on the edge of the rotation. Gonzalez makes just his 2nd start of the season. He was rocked in his first start and was knocked out in the 4th inning after allowing 10 hits (but with 6 K’s).

1. Granderson
  2. Polanco
  3. Cabrera
  4. Thames
  5. Raburn
  6. Inge
  7. Ordonez
  8. Ryan
  9. Everett

Detroit vs. Oakland – June 30, 2009 | MLB.com: Gameday

POSTGAME: This wasn’t the text book way to go about getting a win, but it’s a win.

bullpen You aren’t supposed to win when your starter gives up 6 walks, but the A’s didn’t hit Galarraga hard at all so there were only 2 baserunners via hits and only 1 run to show for all of their patience. I guess that’s what you call scattering your walks. But Galarraga did seem to have some bite on his slider and it was inducing some swings and misses – I just think he used it too often, like when he was ahead of Jack Cust 0-2 and he threw 3 straight sliders nowhere near the zone.

You aren’t supposed to win when you make 2 baserunning errors where outs are made between 3rd and home. Those are runs you have to have, or at least not toss away so easily. The baserunning mistakes, and the ill advised sacrifice bunt attempts early in the game against a struggling pitcher are why the Tigers only plated 3 runs off of Gio Gonzalez despite having 7 hits, 3 of which were for extra bases, and 2 walks in 5 innings.

You aren’t supposed to win when you make 3 error-like plays in the field. But Galarraga pitched around a dropped foul fly by Ryan Raburn, a fumbled grounder by Everett, and another play by Everett where the Tigers only got 1 out instead of 2.

You aren’t supposed to win when your closer allows 3 baserunners and a home run, but Rodney only let the game get to 2 runs before a double play grounder ended the night on 19 pitches. Oddly, it was Rodney’s fastball getting hit and really, his control improved after an initial walk.

• Ryan Raburn and Placido Polanco were the offensive stars. Raburn hit everything hard. Polanco drove in 3 of the 5 runs and is on a mini-Marcus power surge as of late.
  • Inge was having a rough night offensively but he got a blooper to drop behind a drawn in infield to score an insurance run.
  • Dusty Ryan was patient, and he took called 3rd strikes his last 2 times up
  • Magglio, I don’t know. He did drive a ball to right field once, and a 2-0 count. He was also late on a 3-1 fastball. He also swung and missed a ball well off the plate as it looked like he was gearing up to try and pull a fastball.
  • Bobby Seay and Joel Zumaya (pictured above thanks to photos from westcoasttigerfan) had good games. Zumaya hit 102.7 and 102.6 matching his fastest pitches from the Cubs series.

1. billfer

June 30, 2009 at 10:23 pm

Galarraga’s mechanics looked all out of whack to Kennedy.

2. Forty

June 30, 2009 at 10:38 pm

I understand reasonable minds can disagree about such things, but I don’t like the sac bunt there. Pitcher struggling to find the zone. Early in the game. And you give them an out.

• billfer

June 30, 2009 at 10:39 pm

I agree completely.

3. David G.

June 30, 2009 at 10:44 pm

Raburn’s mechanics looked all out of whack from Kennedy.

4. sky

June 30, 2009 at 10:46 pm

tryiing to watch on MLB is frustrating….screen keeps freezing up

These Tiger errors and poor base running and failure to score in great opportunities remind me of last year. Whatever causes this I hope they have the spirit to shake it off.

• Anson

June 30, 2009 at 10:49 pm

You can try watching it here:

Fortunately, someone is streaming the game tonight so I get to watch!

• Keith (Mr. X)

June 30, 2009 at 10:50 pm

Must be reminding Galarraga of last year too. He’s pitching a little better now. Maybe. Knock on wood.

• Kevin in Dallas

June 30, 2009 at 10:58 pm

try reducing the video quality

5. sky

June 30, 2009 at 10:52 pm

thanks for that website Anson!

• Anson

June 30, 2009 at 10:59 pm

No Problem. This is only the third/forth Tiger game that’s been streamed but at least it gives people who are stuck in Baltimore (or any other Tigerless city) a chance to see the Tigers with paying for MLBTV. Oh and naturally I was at home visiting my parents the one time this year the Tigers are in Baltimore aka 5 blocks from my house.

• jud

June 30, 2009 at 11:03 pm

hey I live in California and never see the Mudhens so thanks from here also…good site

• Anson

June 30, 2009 at 11:05 pm

Yeah I have no idea who or why they are streaming AAA-ball. I was going to try watching a Mud Hens game tonight but I got lucky with the real game instead.

6. Ryan P.

June 30, 2009 at 11:04 pm

WHY IS ARMANDO NOT COMPLETELY AWFUL TODAY, I AM SO CONFUSED

• Ryan P.

June 30, 2009 at 11:17 pm

nevermind, i found the real armando.

7. jud

June 30, 2009 at 11:04 pm

good to see Battlestar with some battle in him…ball moving much better than it has in awhile…so far so good

8. Anson

June 30, 2009 at 11:08 pm

Whoa Dusty Ryan is huge. He’s like Matt Wieters size, aka the future savior of Baltimore baseball.

• Coleman

June 30, 2009 at 11:47 pm

Huge but a rather timid fellow really, if you saw him in action during the Sheffield-Carmona deathmatch (haha) last season…

9. MacD

June 30, 2009 at 11:12 pm

Anybody watching on FSN HD? It’s listed on my Comcast guide, but I’m getting the vertical rainbows

10. Anson

June 30, 2009 at 11:16 pm

Here comes the Battlestar Galarraga implosion.

11. Kevin in Dallas

June 30, 2009 at 11:26 pm

Ugh, PP. These throws home have me a bit worried. I seem to remember him having a stronger arm. (Insert billfer stats here proving the counterpoint)

• Kevin in Dallas

June 30, 2009 at 11:49 pm

I meant “relay throws”

12. jud

June 30, 2009 at 11:28 pm

gee does that #75th GIDP keep the Tigers in first place in GIDP in the majors

13. jud

June 30, 2009 at 11:30 pm

the saddest thing about those DP’s is Jimbo only runs Grandy about once a week if that and hardly ever uses his speed

14. jud

June 30, 2009 at 11:33 pm

Rod says the large number of walks the Tiger pitchers have started to allow has become “an issue”…..I thought it was more of a frickin problem!!!

• Vince in MN

June 30, 2009 at 11:41 pm

I agree. Issuing passes is a frickin’ problem.

15. Anson

June 30, 2009 at 11:47 pm

Whoa was that the first time Maggs beat out the GIDP this year?

• jud

June 30, 2009 at 11:52 pm

he is starting to worry about breaking the All time record for GIDP / Season so he was flying…well flying for him

16. Coleman

June 30, 2009 at 11:56 pm

Well I believe I will deserve some of the credit if we win tonight, since I put up a foot-long post explaining how Granderson NEVER gets on base in the 1st inning and whenever he does Polanco is doomed to the GIDP…clearly they thought it would be great fun to make me look foolish and this inspired the unusual first inning which contained “runs.”

17. Coleman

June 30, 2009 at 11:58 pm

I’m not sure where it fits into the chicken-egg of Galarraga-ness, but Armando seems to have a less puzzled expression on his face tonight, almost a funny little Elvis sneer at times…

18. Anson

July 1, 2009 at 12:04 am

I’m not sure who else is watching the game with the link I posted earlier, but the switch from Mario and Rod to the A’s announcers is awful. They have no emotion and have talked about out of town scores for the majority of the last two innings. No wonder no one likes the A’s.

19. jud

July 1, 2009 at 12:09 am

wALK THAT .225 HITTER

20. jud

July 1, 2009 at 12:11 am

All things considered pretty good job by Battlestar seemed to keep the ball down better and had some movement…the 1000000000 BB’s basically the only negative…we’ll take it

21. jud

July 1, 2009 at 12:14 am

let the real game begin!!!!!!!!!

22. Ryan P.

July 1, 2009 at 12:14 am

I’m hitting the sack, you better win Tigers.

Oh look, perfect timing. I can count Zumaya’s walks to help me fall asleep.

23. jud

July 1, 2009 at 12:16 am

Rod further states the walks by Zumaya have also become an issue…….I think those walks are a huge frickin problem!!!!

24. Coleman

July 1, 2009 at 12:17 am

And you can count Sea Lions or whatever animal that is that was trying to field that play…

25. jud

July 1, 2009 at 12:22 am

can we take a breath now???

26. billfer

July 1, 2009 at 12:24 am

According to Gameday Zumaya matched his fastest pitches for the season in that ab with Holliday. He he a 102.7 and a 102.6. The Oakland gun seems a little slow, so if you see 101, it’s really 102+

• Keith (Mr. X)

July 1, 2009 at 12:44 am

Holliday did a great job fouling off them high 100+ MPH fastballs.

27. sky

July 1, 2009 at 12:28 am

What do you think..should Marcus really be in that line-up?

• T Smith

July 1, 2009 at 12:54 am

Marcus has had a string of horrible at-bats. For sure he doesn’t belong in clean-up.

28. sky

July 1, 2009 at 12:31 am

He reminds me a lot of Craig Monroe…..big news for a short time…then forgot how to judge the strike zone and make contact

29. jud

July 1, 2009 at 12:32 am

if Thames doesn’t bat behind Cabrera and Jimbo isn’t gonna bat Inge there then Cabrera doesn’t see alot of good pitches..Thames is doing just fine

30. Coleman

July 1, 2009 at 12:45 am

Now there’s a rarity! Curtis never gets hit with no pitch..that’s his 1st of the season, in fact he has been HBP 12 times IN HIS CAREER…

31. Anson

July 1, 2009 at 12:48 am

So what would you guys think of an alternate blue and white jersey circa 1905-06?

• Coleman

July 1, 2009 at 12:59 am

Boy does that look bad when they go to the Plain Dumb D instead of the ol’ English…and those 1922 home jerseys look a bit…Yankee-ish, no?

And what happened in 1960? A year with no “D” (and jerseys that look quite Dodger-ish…)

• David

July 1, 2009 at 1:19 am

they look fantastic, one of my favs

32. Coleman

July 1, 2009 at 12:51 am

Stray phrase you don’t want to hear after wandering away from the game thinking everything is under control: “Rodney has yet to find the strike zone…”

33. Anson

July 1, 2009 at 12:54 am

So let me get this straight Nomar changes his gloves into specialty sliding gloves when he gets on base and then runs holding his batting gloves in his hands? Does he have extra dainty hands?

34. Anson

July 1, 2009 at 12:55 am

I love it how Rodney always tries to make the game interesting for the other team’s fans.

• T Smith

July 1, 2009 at 12:58 am

I find it rather annoying, to be perfectly frank.

35. Walter55

July 1, 2009 at 12:59 am

Once again not pretty but Rodney got the job done. Nice outing by Galarraga tonight hopefully he can keep it going.

36. Keith (Mr. X)

July 1, 2009 at 12:59 am

Nice win. Tigers have won the last 3 games that Galarraga pitched and have won 4 out of his last 5 starts. Got to like that.

37. Vince in MN

July 1, 2009 at 1:00 am

Well, you have to hand it to the Tigers. That game could have been a blowout, but they managed to keep it close.

• Coleman

July 1, 2009 at 1:04 am

I think the players were all somewhat distracted worrying whether Youkilis and Pedroia will both make the All-star team, since the voting is really close, which apparently is the most important story in baseball today no matter where you look…

• Vince in MN

July 1, 2009 at 1:09 am

….and in fact has been since about April 1st.

38. Kevin in Dallas

July 1, 2009 at 1:00 am

I like that JL got Lyon up there. Let Rodney know that he’s still got room to improve.

39. Vince in MN

July 1, 2009 at 1:17 am

I like the way Anderson is being used – 3 AB in his last 9 games – but I question whether or not we can afford the luxury.

40. Keith (Mr. X)

July 1, 2009 at 1:32 am

Pujols hit his 29th and 30th HRs. OMG.

• Vince in MN

July 1, 2009 at 1:43 am

60 HR and 150 RBI are within reach.

41. King Sol Moon

July 1, 2009 at 3:01 am

I’ve been away. Just got back from a really scary place called “Real Life.” I don’t recommend it. Nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.

Anyway, thanks to Billfer and DTW and everyone posting here, I was able to catch up with and get the inside scoop on the 2009 Detroit Tigers at last – in one evening. It’s been a pretty surprising and delightful season, on balance. I’m still ignorant of the stats and standings and other such niceties, and I’ve missed so much that I should spend the rest of the season lurking rather than embarrass myself with comments. Still, I wanted to check in to say a couple things: 1. Hi. 2. THANK YOU.

Keep it up, Tigers.

• Vince in MN

July 1, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Stick around and have at it. No one else here has a LEGITIMATE claim to have the inside scoop on anything. Mostly it is just blustery opinion, occasionally spiffed up with a statistic or two. If you want to make an impression just include acronyms such as P/PA, K/BB ratio, WHIP or OPS+, etc. You will instantly be recognized as another expert.

42. Coleman

July 1, 2009 at 10:11 am

It looks like billfer’s favorite Pirate, Nyjer “Stirrups” Morgan was traded; unfortunately he is heading for the Nook Logan Memorial Career Graveyard (Washington); I suppose a ‘Nyjer’ is probably the best you’re going to do trying to find a match for the ‘Lastings’ you want to trade…

43. Coleman

July 1, 2009 at 10:22 am

I knew that name sounded familiar when billfer was commenting on him before; he’s hockey guy–he grew up in San Fran and San Jose, saw the Olympics on TV, and decided hockey was cool and he wanted to play. So he left home at 16 and went to Saskatchewan and ended up playing for the Regina Pats in the Western Hockey League (and needless to say was the only African American on the ice, if not in the town)…same team apparently that Larry Walker tried out for…Walker didn’t make the team though…

I wonder if he could have foreseen that he would be a future National if he would have stayed in Regina and tried hockey a bit longer…