Game 2009.042: Rockies at Tigers

PREGAME: The Tigers will try to get their second 40 games back on track as they try to close out their 9 game homestand on an up note. With 7 wins under their belt already, the homestand has been a success, but if they drop the series to the Rockies it will seem a lot less satisfying.

Dontrelle Willis will try to replicate his success against the Rangers, although a 1 hitter might be asking a bit much.

The Rockies will counter with Jason Hammel. Hammel has allowed a lot of hits this year, 45 of them in 31 innings. Lefties have beat him up with a 1.066 OPS this year so I’d expect to see the left handed hitting outfield and Ramon Santiago in the lineup.

Colorado vs. Detroit – May 24, 2009 | MLB.com: Gameday

1. Brian P

May 24, 2009 at 1:48 pm

When Willis is under control, he can absolutely paint the corners. Those were great pitches to Helton.

2. Repp

May 24, 2009 at 2:05 pm

Brian,

Are we the only ones here?

Willis is looking good, I feared a down day.

3. Mason

May 24, 2009 at 2:10 pm

I’m loving this new Dontrelle.

And on a side note, where is everybody?

4. Ryan P

May 24, 2009 at 2:13 pm

Good stuff from Dontrelle so far. His command slipped a bit earlier but he looks like he has found it again.

But of course he walks Fowler as I type that.

5. Brian P

May 24, 2009 at 2:21 pm

The top three in the lineup are 0-17 so far in the last two games. Ew.

Make that 0-19.

6. ouchudied

May 24, 2009 at 2:28 pm

MLB gamecast is horrendous compared to MLB gameday.

7. Brian P

May 24, 2009 at 2:32 pm

Wow. Look at that third pitch to Barmes.

I guess effectively wild would sum up this start. The strikes to balls ratio is not pretty.

8. amason

May 24, 2009 at 2:39 pm

This ‘scrappy’ line-up is growing tired. Anderson is our version of Podsednik and I sure don’t want to look as stupid as the Chisox. Larish should have got the start last night and today. I mean speed is great but .320 obp is not… throw Maggs back in right put Larish at DH or give Cabrerra some rest at DH. Thomas is of poor quality too IMO.

• Mr. X

May 24, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Tired? We’ve won 7 of our last 8 games and are in 1st place. Defense and speed seems to be working fine.

• amason

May 24, 2009 at 3:04 pm

Fair Enough. I don’t think a lot would be lost though if getting Larish into the line-up took precedence over either Thomas’s or Anderson’s defense. Now I am not sure where Anderson’s speed has really contributed to the 7 0f 8. Last night but come on he brings little else.

9. Matt

May 24, 2009 at 2:52 pm

That brandon ingle foul ball fly-out is on the fans.

If you’re gonna bring your glove to a ball game and stand right next to the wall, you gotta make that catch.

• Adrian from Toronto

May 24, 2009 at 5:27 pm

haha…bartman is a marlins fan eh ;)

10. mcb

May 24, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Helton is the only guy in this line up beating us. I know it was lefty vs lefty but should of considered walking him.

11. Anson

May 24, 2009 at 2:57 pm

I don’t think were going to make a comeback today. Looks like the bats have been dead aside from Maggs.

12. amason

May 24, 2009 at 3:12 pm

Anderson even makes outs really fast.

• Mr. X

May 24, 2009 at 3:50 pm

Another tight low scoring game. Willis was a little wild, but he was good for the most part. This game was definitely a grind. It was even hard to watch.

13. Kevin in Dallas

May 24, 2009 at 3:47 pm

Tough game. Just ran into some great pitching. Outstanding homestand, no time to get down on the boys, big series starts tomorrow.

• Adrian from Toronto

May 24, 2009 at 5:29 pm

they need to hit

14. Brian P

May 24, 2009 at 7:02 pm

We went all Chicago Cubs in this series.

15. Eric Cioe

May 24, 2009 at 7:33 pm

Well, tomorrow they go into KC with their stopper on the mound. Hopefully the bats can wake up a bit before the game. They’ve got a couple game lead. And this next series is going to be about as intense as a series in May can be. There are some really great pitching matchups. Greinke is beatable, especially with Edwin on the mound. Meche’s peripherals say he’s pitching well but his ERA says otherwise.

16. Andrew

May 25, 2009 at 8:41 am

Well, my Comerica Park record is intact. Since I live on the west side of the state I don’t get to many Tigers games and I have yet to see a Tigers victory at Comerica Park. I’m currently sitting at 0-4.

The offense was boring. The weather was beautiful. Our seats were pretty good. It was great to see the Tigers honor all of those veterans before the game.

The most exciting part of the game came when a squirrel somehow found itself playing left field. He skulked up to the third base coach and waited until the the half inning was over. The grounds crew came out and chased him into the Rockies bullpen – it was rather humorous. I took a video of it.

I’m just really disappointed in the Tigers lackadaisical approach at the plate. They never really worked Hammel and swung early and often. There just didn’t seem to be any sense of urgency especially after they were down two runs.

It was just one game, but I would REALLY like to see a Tigers victory one of these times.