They don’t care who my Tiger is anymore

News out of Comerica Park is that the Who’s Your Tiger campaign has come to an end. It had been 3 years and they probably got more mileage out of it than could have been expected. But I’ll kind of miss it. The campaign and the resurgence of the franchise went hand in hand. As the team became successful it was a way for fans to identify with Tigers and was pretty damn effective. Between Who’s Your Tiger, Hockeytown, and Going to Work, Detroit sports teams have done a nice job of latching on to their fans. Do you believe in now?

1. Dean

December 2, 2008 at 5:19 pm

No, I don’t believe in now, but you’re right about the other three. And by the way, I enjoy the fact that one of the related articles is “Why is Jose Mesa still a Tiger?” The eternal question.

2. Ian C.

December 2, 2008 at 7:21 pm

Don’t forget the Detroit Shock’s campaign: “Have you ever heard of the WNBA?”

3. Kevin in Austin (now Dallas)

December 2, 2008 at 7:44 pm

I’m wondering if they’ll go with “Who is not your front office personnel?”

That one is gonna take me a while to decide. So many good candidates.

4. Mark in Chicago

December 2, 2008 at 8:56 pm

“Don’t forget the Detroit Shock’s campaign: “Have you ever heard of the WNBA?””

But is haviing this minor skill worth being so unattractive? That’s for the fan to decide.

I kid, I kid…

5. Rick G

December 3, 2008 at 9:36 am

That’s okay, they can stop the campaign, but they can’t stop my love for Carlos Guillen. Or my “B” Tiger, Curtis Granderson. :)

6. Matt in Berkley

December 3, 2008 at 11:59 am

So, click on the link. What’s the significance of 2009 in terms of the season ticket motif and why would that be particularly relevant to a baseball card collector?

7. Matt in Berkley

December 3, 2008 at 12:02 pm

And to Mark: that’s why she commands a salary of $7,000 A YEAR. These gals sure do make it look difficult.

8. Mark in Chicago

December 3, 2008 at 2:18 pm

well done, matt. well done.

9. Anthony Lewis

December 3, 2008 at 8:21 pm

I am gonna miss that gimmick that’s for sure. As we all know the slogan makes or breaks the team LOL.

10. David

December 3, 2008 at 9:03 pm

Rawr GO GET EM TIGERS

We’re all behind our baseball team, go get ‘em TIGERS!
    World Series bound and pickin’ up steam

20 years before I was born and 40 years before today!!!

But still a classic

Year of the Tiger

11. David

December 3, 2008 at 9:06 pm

Wonder who that is from ;)

Billfer1

12. Sam

December 3, 2008 at 10:50 pm

Do you REALLY believe in now? (scroll past the Manny stuff for MAD CRAZY LIONS PHILOSOPHIEZ)

I am spreading my sadness over this news all over the internet. It cannot be contained. MY TIGER IS EMPTINESS.

13. Chris in Dallas

December 4, 2008 at 10:40 am

Looks like Khalil Greene is going to St. Louis. If Julio Lugo ends up here, I do believe i’ll snap.

14. Tigercub33

December 4, 2008 at 11:01 am

Chris,

I have a feeling that the look of the Tigers will change quite a bit next week. I think Magglio an Polanco will be shopped at the Winter meetings. Nobody out there makes sense for the Tigers at SS and they have too many other holes to fill.

15. Tigercub33

December 4, 2008 at 12:34 pm

Looks like the Tigers finally got their SS. Jack Wilson for ????(nobody knows yet)

16. Mark in Chicago

December 4, 2008 at 1:27 pm

hang on there, Tigercub. from mlbtraderumors:

12:14pm: Dejan Kovacevic talked to Pirates president Frank Coonelly, who said Wilson has not been traded. The Tigers apparently made an interesting offer last night for Wilson, but the Dodgers remain in the mix. Wilson would have to approve a trade to the Tigers, and he and his agent haven’t been informed of anything.

Frankly, I am a little bit scared what an “interesting offer” is. DD has been swinging and missing a bit lately.

17. greg

December 4, 2008 at 1:41 pm

Rick Porcello?

;-)

18. Mark in Chicago

December 4, 2008 at 1:41 pm

that isn’t funny, greg. really, it isn’t.

19. Tigercub33

December 4, 2008 at 3:08 pm

Mark – I just read the same thing (been in meetinsg since my post) – sorry to post it a bit fast…