A lot of talk, A lot of speculation piping out of the GM meetings in California. Right now it seems like most teams are in on most players. But there are some names being rumored to the Tigers. Today’s rumor and moderately relevant news rundown:
- The Tigers are in on Rafael Furcal, or at least plan to talk to him. Furcal is of course a stud. He’s also been a stud who’s had a hard time staying on the field the last 2 seasons. The Tigers won’t get into a bidding war, but I could see them going for a year deal or one and an option year. That would only prove attractive to Furcal if nobody else is willing to offer him an extended deal and he wants a short contract to prove his worth/health.
- If the Tigers want to buy low, there is a chance they could pursue Khalil Greene. Rumor has it they have at least kicked the tires – as have the Orioles and Reds. Greene is slated to make $6.5 million next year before becoming a free agent. The length is right, but 20-25% of the team’s budget on a player coming off a 213/260/339 season that saw him 4 plays below average at short. If the Tigers were to pick up the salary, he should come essentially free in terms of prospects though. Which is good since he’s a .304 career OBP guy.
- Scott Boras says that Magglio Ordonez doesn’t expect to be traded. I don’t actually believe anything that Scott Boras says though so take that for what it’s worth.
- AJ Burnett opted out of his Blue Jays contract. I don’t bring this up because the Tigers have been connected to him, but because he’s now another arm in the free agent pond. And if the Tigers go fishing there, it may help with the team’s chances at Lowe’s or Garland’s or others.
- Junichi Tazawa, who I thought might be a worthwhile bullpen target for the Tigers, has been offered a major league deal by the Braves. Too rich for my blood.
- The Tigers have made Fernando Rodney available. Rodney is frustrating to be sure, but he’s not the worst guy to have in the pen and for the cost it would be hard pressed to increase on his production – when healthy. That’s a big factor though as Rodney has really only maintained health in 2006.