Tigers ink Ryan Perry

by billfer on July 9, 2008 · 10 comments

in 2008 Season

The Tigers have signed first round pick Ryan Perry to a $1,480,000 signing bonus. There was no slot busting drama this year with Perry signing for about the same amount as the guys immediately above and below him in the draft.

Reportedly the Tigers would like to bring up Perry when the rosters expand on September 1st. In the meantime he’ll head to Lakeland. I’d guess that he pitches out of the bullpen the remainder of this year.

{ 10 comments }

Steve in OH July 9, 2008 at 8:37 am

Not sure if we should keep bringing guys up so soon, but I guess we need to wait and see what happens.

And what on earth were you doing posting at 5:16 am, Bilfer?

Ryan P July 9, 2008 at 8:44 am

Freep.com won’t load some (most) pages for me this morning. Hmph.

Kathy July 9, 2008 at 9:47 am

Good. Wondered why it was taking so long.

Coleman July 9, 2008 at 12:02 pm

Steve in OH: Stats never sleep.

Mark in Chicago July 9, 2008 at 2:01 pm

I’m sure Leyland will want to “ease him slowly” by throwing Perry out there for the first time in September with the bases loaded and 0 outs and a 3-0 count clinging to a 1-run lead in the 8th inning against the first place White Sox.

I can hardly wait to see Jimmuh mismanage yet another bullpen arm.

Sean C. in Illinois July 9, 2008 at 3:12 pm

“bases loaded and 0 outs and a 3-0 count clinging to a 1-run lead in the 8th inning against the first place White Sox”

No, Cruceta will be coming in first. Lead blown, gone, a distant memory, the pressure will then be off of Perry.

Chris in Dallas July 9, 2008 at 3:43 pm

Cruceta is long gone. I paid the security staff at 5th 3rd Field to chain him to a radiator in the boiler room at the stadium. We shant worry about him any longer.

Sean C. in Illinois July 9, 2008 at 3:52 pm

You didn’t pay them enough, Chris, as he appears to be in the Mud Hens bullpen (mudpen?). He’ll be back. I think he could actually be good. Look at how they handled him. Talk about baptism by fire.

Chief Monday July 9, 2008 at 3:56 pm

The Tigers have potentially a great bullpen. Lopez, Rodney, Zumaya, Dolsi, and Ryan Perry. Seay and Jones can round things off. Send Fossum to glue factory.

Chris in Dallas July 9, 2008 at 4:09 pm

I would certainly like to baptize him with fire…

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post:

Switch to our mobile site