links for 2008-07-15

by billfer on July 15, 2008 · 11 comments

in Links

{ 11 comments }

Sean C. in Illinois July 15, 2008 at 11:37 am

Again I ask – how is Matt Joyce doing this? I thought that pitchers had discovered his big weakness, the big league pitch he couldn’t hit, just before he was sent down last time. What changed? I’m very curious. Matt in Toledo – do you know?

It’s fantastic news that Joyce is hittng so well. Can it last? And would someone please teach him to bunt?

Michael M. July 15, 2008 at 12:19 pm

I am not sure if the power will last…the homers. From what I ahve seen on tv, he seems to be more even…not chasing the offspeed pitches away. It looks like he is nto jumping out quick for the Fastball either. I would think he is getting better balance now, but may be sacrificing a quicker bat. No matter what, we need to see more of him to get a better handle. He may problems with hard throwers with good change ups, but then almost all hitters would have issues with that. One real positive is he is not K’ing as much on the second call up and still hitting for power. I have liked him coming up through the system, but I am shocked at the HR display he has shown in AAA and the majors. It would be nice to have a corner OF’er with great defense and be able to hit.

tiff July 15, 2008 at 1:56 pm

through the power of the black cat, Matt Joyce has wielded otherworldly power and for this reason he must be stay in the bigs.

Sean C. in Illinois July 15, 2008 at 3:09 pm

Carlos Guillen is a great guy, but I sometimes wish he would said “get real” when he was asked to move to 3B, and that the team would have let HIM make the deal for the SS. It wouldn’t have been Renteria.

Sean C. in Illinois July 15, 2008 at 3:15 pm

Sheffield. Why lose money and games?

The problem is that the stupidest thing of all would be to keep him and sit him. How can they waste that spot on the roster from now until September 1? If he stays, he has to play. Pretty annoying. Everyone’s in a bind.

Matt in Toledo July 15, 2008 at 4:20 pm

Sean – You got me. I’m pretty sure once he went back down he started mashing right away, but I didn’t check the numbers on that.

I’d guess he made some adjustments, but that’s all it is – guessing.

Sean C. in Illinois July 15, 2008 at 4:33 pm

Matt

Sorry you didn’t have the answer on Joyce, but thanks for trying.

“It’s fantastic news that Joyce is hittng so well.”

Too bad Sean can’t spell so well. That’s what happens when one dares to question Joyce’s bunting ability. He’s got a black cat bone! Hope he has a mojo, too.

tiff July 15, 2008 at 5:29 pm

the reason we only have one all star is because the fans were disillusioned and didn’t vote, or that the Red Sox/Yankee contingent voted more. It really doesn’t have anything to do with how the players are performing (Varitek anyone) so it bothers me when people are all “we only have one all-star.” Who cares? I would much rather our team rest up and stay focused for the second half than get worn out and jack up their swing trying to hit homeruns.

/end non-sequitur rant

cib July 15, 2008 at 8:35 pm

I’m with Tiff. I didn’t vote at all this year. Last year after Verlander started the AS game he was never quite the same. I figure there is a bigger chance of injuries when guys are not used to playing together. Let them all rest up and try to make the second half exciting and a little bit hopeful!!

Vince in MN July 16, 2008 at 10:34 am

“Too bad Sean can’t spell so well.”

Hey Sean, this is a baseball blog. Baseball players don’t say “well”, they say “good.” And you should too, as in “Too bad Sean can’t use baseball grammar so good.”

Sean C. in Illinois July 16, 2008 at 11:28 am

Sorry, Vince. I’m so unschooled. I mean, I ain’t learned too good.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post:

Switch to our mobile site