Jeremy Bonderman out for season

by billfer on June 7, 2008 · 27 comments

in 2008 Season,Injuries

Jeremy Bonderman is officially out for the season due to circulatory problems in his shoulder.

Bonderman was examined yesterday at the Detroit Medical Center and it was determined he has a blood clot of the axillary vein due to thoracic outlet compression syndrome. Bonderman underwent a thromblysis last night, followed by an angioplasty this morning at the Detroit Medical Center, performed by Dr. Monte Harvill under the supervision of team physician Dr. Stephen Lemos. He will undergo further examination of his condition at a later date.

This is devastating news for a team that has been pretty much devastating. A corresponding roster move hasn’t been announced yet. Aquilino Lopez is expected back from bereavement leave shortly, and in the interim Toledo is at home this weekend if the need arises.

This is a pretty serious condition and if it sounds familiar you can look to Kenny Rogers last year. While it is terrible news as it relates to the season, in the scope of shoulder discomfort this is probably relatively good news long term. There isn’t talk of labrums or rotator cuffs which provide bigger challenges.

Best wishes to Jeremy on his recovery.

{ 5 trackbacks }

{ 22 comments }

Mike in CT June 7, 2008 at 1:03 pm

Well…on the plus side, this clears up the Gallaraga/Willis debacle. Hopefully they don’t rush Porcello now.

Big Al June 7, 2008 at 1:06 pm

Good Lord, a nightmare season just got that much more worse. If this wasn’t the final nail in the coffin regarding the Tigers’ chances, there sure can’t be many nails left…

Well, so much for worrying about who stays in the rotation, Galarraga or Willis.

Russ June 7, 2008 at 1:06 pm

Kenny was suppose to teach him a change-up, not teach him to get a blood clot….Hope Bondo is ok

Sean C. in Illinois June 7, 2008 at 1:37 pm

Whoa. A weight equivalent to that of Bonderman is now on Dontrelle Willis’s shoulders. That’s gong to be tough to pitch with, but in the long run it will be good for upper body strength. Look for Dontrelle to very buff by season’s end.

Well, I guess we can now look at the remaining games as the “post-season.” We made it!

Sean C. in Illinois June 7, 2008 at 1:50 pm

Who’s this “Toledo” Billfer mentioned? If he’s any good, I say start him Sunday.

Free José Toledo!

Lousy Bonderman. I don’t know why he can’t just pitch through this. What a girly man.

Dave BW June 7, 2008 at 2:09 pm

oh for the love of…

RudeMood19 June 7, 2008 at 2:09 pm

I think this year is a write off. Nothing has gone right, and I don’t expect it to get any better.

Kevin in Austin June 7, 2008 at 2:46 pm

I hope that Leyland doesnt get a pass now.

stephen June 7, 2008 at 3:05 pm

Man the lifeboats! Women and children first!

Keep your eyes peeled for Leyland, he’s the one in the blonde wig and the full length leopard skin coat. His trail of Virginia Slims gives him away.

He gets no seat, but he can be used as an anchor.

Tim in Troy June 7, 2008 at 3:23 pm

I agree with Stephen!

Put Leyland on suicide watch. Poor guy.

DREW June 7, 2008 at 3:26 pm

Time to step up willis

Jeff Molby June 7, 2008 at 4:02 pm

I hope that Leyland doesnt get a pass now.

Why shouldn’t he? Bonderman, Sheffield, Zumaya, Rodney, Willis. There aren’t many teams that can recover from so many major injuries, especially when the rest of the team has regressed a bit.

cib June 7, 2008 at 6:13 pm

Unbelievable. Un Freakin Believable. That JJ for Renteria deal looks sweet now doesn’t it. I’m packing it in. I’ve got tickets for Monday but I can’t even watch anymore. Look for me riding the carousel continuously (can’t stand the ferris wheel, scared of heights).

Joey the K in Portland OR June 7, 2008 at 6:36 pm

Wow. That sucks. Good luck Bondo.

JoJo Sun Devil June 7, 2008 at 10:10 pm

No Bonderman? No more its a bird, its a plane, its a Bonderman. Man, he was my Tiger. This sucks! This season sucks.

But I do like the idea of bringing up those young players who are gonna be playing with more enthusiasm, and may listen to Leyland more.

scotsw June 9, 2008 at 10:12 am

Billfer: Your comments are being spammed by these “Hottags” guys.

Chris in Dallas June 9, 2008 at 10:23 am

Geez. I go out of town for the weekend and come back to find that my life is now Bondo-less. And they took the series from Clevo, so there’s that. At least Freddy Soild apparently brought his cajones to the ballpark, and E-Rent hit a granny in my absence. I should go to Astros games more often if that’s what it takes to get this team on a streak.

Chris in Dallas June 9, 2008 at 10:34 am

Oops. I didn’t realize it was a 4 game series. Once again, I’m an idiot.

tiff June 9, 2008 at 10:37 am

We’re cursed. Locusts, boils, hailstorms!

Sean C. in Illinois June 9, 2008 at 10:50 am

Don’t feel bad, Chris. They only added the 4th game after your comment. You just spoke too soon.

I don’t know how to take tiff’s comment, but it may allude to the weather making it a 3 game series after all, so you might have been right anyway, Chris.

Was there rain at the game yesterday? Plenty here. Still.

Sean C. in Illinois June 9, 2008 at 10:51 am

Oh, I get it. Locusts, boils, losing Bonderman. That’s nothing. The plague of Sheffield is upon us next.

Chris in Dallas June 9, 2008 at 11:10 am

I think I remember reading something about the Plague of Sheffield. Isn’t there something about it in the book of Exodus or something? Anyhoo, I’m glad to see Rapada is back, if only because I’ve long been a fan of lefties with wacky deliveries.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post:

Switch to our mobile site