PREGAME: The Tigers rap up their road portion of interleague today in San Diego. The pitching match-up will be Justin Verlander and Randy Wolf.
Miguel Cabrera is Hungry Like A Wolf (I know, it’s awful) with 22 career plate appearances, 10 hits, 2 homers, and 3 walks against Randy. Lefties have been hitting Wolf to the rune of a 997 OPS this year so I’d like to see Granderson stay in the lineup. Wolf has been much tougher at Petco with a 2.45 ERA there and a 5.84 everywhere else.
Game Time 4:05
POSTGAME: I like the winning. Justin Verlander had the live fastball thing working with 10 K’s. However he also had 5 walks, 2 of them intentional. That makes for a lot of pitches and he was at 115 when he was lifted with one out in the 6th.
- Very nice job by Bobby Seay coming into a 2 on, 1 out situation and getting out of it unscathed.
- Pudge Rodriguez walked twice and picked up his first unassisted homer of the season. Don’t look now, but his OBP is up to .325.
- Magglio Ordonez found his extra base groove with a double and a homer, following up on his homer last night.
- Granderson hit the ball well again today, with only one hit to show for it. But seeing him take a left hander to the warning track twice was encouraging.
- Joel Zumaya came in with the lead, and left with the lead. But he did allow a walk and a couple hits and had the tying run gunned down (closely) at the plate.
White Sox are down 6 in the 9th as I write this. Assuming the Cubs can hang on, the Tigers are only 5 games back with 87 games left on the schedule. That so seems doable.