Game 71: Tigers at Giants

PREGAME: The Tigers will try to embark on a new winning streak with Kenny Rogers taking the mound. Rogers has only allowed 3 earned runs over his last 4 starts. He’s still not striking many out, he only has 34 on the season, but he’s cutting down on the walks which were hurting him early in the season and running up his pitch count.

For the Giants it will be lefty Jonathan Sanchez. Sanchez is another guy fanning a batter an inning, and limiting homers to the tune of 6 in 80.1 innings this year with no one taking him yard since May 16th. In his last start he snapped a string of 5 consecutive quality starts when he was touched for 7 runs in 7 innings.

Your lineup for tonight:

1. Renteria, SS
  2. Polanco, 2B
  3. Guillen, 3B
  4. Ordonez, RF
  5. Cabrera, 1B
  6. Thames, LF
  7. Rodriguez, C
  8. Granderson, CF
  9. Rogers, P

Notice that Pudge is starting for the second game in a row. According to Beck it isn’t the end of the alternating catcher plan, but Leyland thinks Inge is still bothered by the oblique.

DET @ SFG, Tuesday, June 17, 2008 Game Preview – Baseball-Reference.com

Game Time 10:15

POSTGAME: Very nice bounce back win for the boys and combined with a Cleveland loss the Tigers are now tied for 3rd place. Sanchez was some kind of filthy as he fanned 6 in his first time through the lineup. But the Tigers made some adjustments and got to him a little after being no hit for 5 innings.

Posted by on June 17, 2008.

Categories: 2008 Season, Game Post

1. I know I’m a E-Rent defender, but I’m already tired of this nonsense of him leading off ever. What part of his .273/.318/.366 line screams “lead off hitter!” to Uncle Jimmy?

I’m still kind of hesitant about tonight. I think Thames’ HR streak ends tonight.

by Mike R on Jun 17, 2008 at 9:19 pm

2. No way, Thames is continuing!

by jason on Jun 17, 2008 at 9:27 pm

3. Craig was at last night’s game and is heading there tonight. He wanted me to post this about his experience:

A Great Baseball Experience

I disagree with MarkSF, who notes his distaste for Giants fans. I have lived in the Bay area since 1989 and have seen the Giants have their ups and downs. These folks are dedicated baseball fans. They turn out to the games. Monday’s game was freezing, like the old Candlestick and they drew 33,000. The Bay area knows basesball, The Bay area seems to be a natural talent pool for MLB, and game is embraced year round at all levels. Little League is played 12 month a year(Summer Ball, Fall Ball, Winter Ball) families make the annual pilgrimage to Scottsdale in droves for spring training. In addition I would argue that you will find as many fans keeping score at a Giants game as in any ballpark in America. If you ask an older San Franciscan to name the greatest events in the history of the city, you will get one of two answers; the discovery of gold in the foothills, and the Day the Giants moved to San Francisco.

The Ball Park is unbelievable with the Bay beyond the right field wall. Facilities for kids are great. Sure they serve Chardonnay and Starbucks but that’s only marketing to the demographic. They also serve a great hot dog and a reasonably priced beer. Beyond the confines of the Ball Park you have a multitude of good restaurants and pubs to serve you before and after the game. I say this because compared to attending a game in area 51(Oakland Coliseum) this is like Disneyland. I had a great time with the fans. They were awed by Marcus Thames’ monster blasts. One fans comment. “You need to let him out of the house more.” Maybe Mark was sitting in a bad section, or I might be lucky but I had great banter with those around me and I can’t wait to get to the ball park today. I even had a beer bought for me “Because your boys swept the Dodgers”. My girls and I will be sitting in the right field porch Row 2 to cheer on Mags with McCovey Cove at our backs. Go Kenny, Go Tigers, Let’s start a new streak.

by billfer on Jun 17, 2008 at 9:39 pm

4. On Thames homer streak it’s just a matter of time until he hits an 0 for 20 streak with 12 K’s. Not because he sucks, but because that’s baseball. And everyone will blame it on him going for homers all the time and Chris Shelton’s name will be invoked.

by billfer on Jun 17, 2008 at 9:41 pm

5. Thames is a very very good platoon player. His HR/AB ratio over the past 4 years is ridiculous, but Leyland has made all the right calls with this guy.

by Kevin in Austin on Jun 17, 2008 at 9:55 pm

6. I want to see Rodney redeem himself Tonight. I wonder if he’ll be available.

by Chief Monday on Jun 17, 2008 at 10:01 pm

7. I don’t expect an extraordinary amount of production from Marcus just because he’s hot as of late. He will of course regress to the “normal Marcus”, as I believe he’s beyond the age that you break out to show your true potential. However, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the “normal Marcus”. I just always have thought he needed more time as an every day player and it’s great to see him having the time of his career. He just has that mild mannered, friendly giant thing going for him that makes him so likeable. Not to mention he has the humility of Barry Sanders, the power of Cecil Fielder, and the curves of Halle Berry. Wait.

by Ken from Cincinnati on Jun 17, 2008 at 10:02 pm

8. Time to start a new winning streak. I hope Kenny can pitch great again, and actually get the win.

by Brian in Tampa on Jun 17, 2008 at 10:15 pm

9. Kenny gets a ribby today.

by Adam on Jun 17, 2008 at 10:17 pm

10. Similar numbers that apparently scream “pudge at leadoff”, Mike. It’s a joke, just learn to accept it.

by Mark in Chicago on Jun 17, 2008 at 10:19 pm

11. Isn’t it Inge’s turn today? WTF?

by Adam on Jun 17, 2008 at 10:22 pm

12. Billfer: I can’t wait for all the comps to Chris Shelton.

Ken: Pretty spot on. I’m not convinced he’s an everyday player on a club that has world series aspirations, but there’s no better option for the Tigers and I’m anxious to see him prove me wrong the rest of the year. He should be starting in LF 4 out of every 5 games the rest of the way.

Mark: I know it’s a joke, but it’s just so annoying. I’m not asking Leyland to peruse Baseball Prospectus 10 hours a day but, c’mon.

by Mike R on Jun 17, 2008 at 10:25 pm

13. Adam, the answer is in the game post. Leyland feels like Inge’s oblique is still bothering him. I wonder “how can you tell?” since all his check swings and K’s look the same to me whether he’s healthy or not.

by Mike R on Jun 17, 2008 at 10:27 pm

14. Mike, it’s completely annoying. I think Leyland reads this board and does it to screw with us. It’s the only explanation. Even Ozzie Guillen put Swisher in the leadoff spot for a while because of his high OBP.

by Mark in Chicago on Jun 17, 2008 at 10:28 pm

15. Very nice play by Guillen on the short hop. Terrific play, just like a real third baseman!

by Mark in Chicago on Jun 17, 2008 at 10:29 pm

16. Ah, yes. I have a habit of not reading past the lineup unless it’s a big chunk of text.

by Adam on Jun 17, 2008 at 10:30 pm

17. The SF announcers just pointed out that Marcus’ last 7 hits are HR.

Wow

by Mark in Chicago on Jun 17, 2008 at 10:35 pm

18. Everyone strikes out. But Kenny hits a homer.

by Adam on Jun 17, 2008 at 10:36 pm

19. My god, Sanchez is pitching out of his mind right now. I was really dreading this. Hopefully Kenny can blank the Giants tonight.

by Chris on Jun 17, 2008 at 10:37 pm

20. [insert dirty Sanchez joke] is sharp right now, the SF announcers pointed out the tough hitting backdrop behind a lefty pitcher right now.

Hopefully results are better once the sun goes down.

by Mark in Chicago on Jun 17, 2008 at 10:39 pm

21. Sanchez has looked far more impressive than Lincecum did last night.

by billfer on Jun 17, 2008 at 10:41 pm

22. Mike – It’s probably Edgar’s 426 OBP against lefties this year that screams leadoff hitter. It’s not like he does it against righties.

by billfer on Jun 17, 2008 at 10:43 pm

23. Sanchez is dealing, wow. Let’s hope we can squeak something out… Grrr, would be a lot nicer to already have one in this series…

by Dylan on Jun 17, 2008 at 10:48 pm

24. I think this is the game out of this series that we were supposed to have lost.

by Adam on Jun 17, 2008 at 10:48 pm

25. Thanks Bill, I didn’t notice that earlier. It makes some sense, then.

But, still. Comment of the night isn’t coming from this blog, it’s from Rod Allen:

“That just shows you how in-depth this Tigers coaching staff is.”

by Mike R on Jun 17, 2008 at 10:49 pm

26. Sanchez has no-no material tonight. Let’s see what happens the second time through.

by Tbone on Jun 17, 2008 at 10:50 pm

27. Well, maybe Kenny’ll plunk him.

by Adam on Jun 17, 2008 at 10:50 pm

28. Interesting post from Craig on how experiences at the same game can differ so much.

Ken in Cincy (the only way I dare try to spell it), you’re a funny man.

Keep me posted, please, guys and gals.

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 17, 2008 at 10:53 pm

29. Burris vs. Rogers and Pudge should be fun. That guy can fly.

by Mark in Chicago on Jun 17, 2008 at 10:54 pm

30. Knotted at nuthin through 3.

by Adam on Jun 17, 2008 at 10:59 pm

31. Thank you, Adam. How’s Kenny looking? Like he can last? That guy has quietly put together quite a run.

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:04 pm

32. Tigers need to just try to get Sanchez to spend his pitches tonight. Hopefully Kenny can keep it at 0-0 and the Tigers can get to the SF bullpen.

by Chris on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:05 pm

33. Four innings and no ball out of the infield for the Tigers.

by billfer on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:05 pm

34. Keven – you’re crazy.
    Everyone always accuses Thames of being a part-timer because no one’s given him the job, despite his production. Except he’s been completely consistent his entire career: He’s a .250 +/- guy with high K’s and a HR avery 14-15 ABs. Adam Dunn is making All Star games and Thames is regarded as a “platoon” guy. Same production.

This is one of Leyland’s mistakes, in my opinion: Play Marcus. He’s a good Joe and has historically great power ratios. He’s a huge thread in a lineup that’s too often lacking this season.

To put in in perspective: yesterday, we’d have been entering the 9th facing our 11th shutout, were it not for Thames and blown call at home plate.

by rings on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:05 pm

35. Sanchez unhittable through 4…

by Tbone on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:05 pm

36. “Hey, this guy’s got it goin’ on. Let’s help him out a bit and just swing at the first pitch every time. K?” OK.

by Adam on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:05 pm

37. Rogers has been okay. Throwing strikes. Usually has a guy on base the whole inning though.

by Adam on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:07 pm

38. Did I ever mention I freaking hate the Molinas?

by Adam on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:10 pm

39. I’m really coming around on Ordonez as an above average RFer. (and as I type that the SF color guy says “If Ordonez plays here every day he probably catches that ball).

by Kevin in Austin on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:10 pm

40. rings,

There is one significant difference between Thames and Dunn – Dunn takes a ton of walks. I like Marcus too and think he should get a shot to play every day, but he’s not Adam Dunn.

by Mark in Chicago on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:11 pm

41. Rowand looks so uncomfortable in his batter’s stance. Like he’s got a pole up his…. Sanchez.

by Mark in Chicago on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:12 pm

42. Thames career OBP is 308, Dunn’s is .382. It’s not the same production.

by billfer on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:13 pm

43. Knotted at nada through 4.

by Adam on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:14 pm

44. We can sure use another 14 pitch leadoff walk from Cabrera right now

by Chris on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:14 pm

45. Sanchez – 50 pitches thru 4 – not good

by Brian in Tampa on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:15 pm

46. Sean,

You’re pretty hilarious yourself. (Sean and Ken sittin in a tree….shut up guys) I’m befuddled, however, over your fear of spelling the word Cincinnati considering I’m pretty sure you’re my college English professor guised as some guy from Illinois. Was I sposed ta capitalize English teach?

As to the game, I’m pretty sure I just saw someone accidentally spill their scalding hot Starbucks into their lap and upon jumping up in horror, knocked over a lady’s Merlot onto her white sundress.

by Ken from Cincinnati on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:16 pm

47. Sanchez filthy through five…

by Tbone on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:19 pm

48. Sanchez is at 63 pitches through 5. Yikes. Gotta make him work, boys. It would be nice to at least get a ball out of the infield, much less a hit.

by Mark in Chicago on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:19 pm

49. Sean and Ken – we are in San Fran right now :)

by Brian in Tampa on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:19 pm

50. Being no-hit through 4 1/2. I don’t think Sanchez can do it though, unless he gets his pitch count down a little. He’s already at 63.

by Adam on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:20 pm

51. This series blows…. The Bay area is a hopeless trap of losing for the Tigers…. Can’t leave soon enough.

by Chris on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:21 pm

52. FWIW, Dunn in LF makes Marcus Thames look like a graceful swan.

by greg on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:23 pm

53. I’m sorry, Ken, but I’m already betrothed to Mark in Chicago. Let’s just be friends.

The Tigers got to Lincecum. What’s with this Sanchez guy? What’s he trying to prove? He’s gotta make a mistake soon.

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:23 pm

54. We have to find a way to win this game. White Sox won and Indians lost.

Gotta win, and win tomorrow.

by Adam on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:23 pm

55. Very nice inning by Kenny, he’s definitely doing his part.

by Mark in Chicago on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:24 pm

56. Kenny looks good again (so far). We just have to scratch out a run or two.

by Brian in Tampa on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:24 pm

57. This just feels like one of those games where we all stay up really late and lose a painful 1-0 game in the 13th inning or something…

by Dylan on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:24 pm

58. White Sox didn’t win yet. The Pirates are only down 11 in the 9th.

by greg on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:24 pm

59. This does not look good, Tiger Fans. Every single hitter looks fooled and tied up. Hard to see a win at this point. Tigs just seem to be unable to hit the ball at all.

by Sky on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:25 pm

60. Do not despair, Tiger Fans! Kenny is keeping us in this one!

by Adam on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:26 pm

61. Maybe I’m way off, but it looks like they’re trying to pull Sanchez. I wonder if a little adjustment to go the other way would make any difference.

Have faith, we’ll win this game.

Sean, I always knew you cared.

by Mark in Chicago on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:27 pm

62. Grandy needs to steal.

by Brian in Tampa on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:27 pm

63. Oh yeah he’s hitting 8th. My bad.

by Brian in Tampa on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:28 pm

64. Granderson ends the no-hitter bid. That was the first ball the Tigers hit out of the infield!

by Tbone on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:28 pm

65. “FWIW, Dunn in LF makes Marcus Thames look like a graceful swan.”

I don’t know, Greg. I’m pretty sure a graceful swan would be awful in left field. Probably just hiss at the bullpen and ignore fly balls.

No, I get what you mean. People here in Cincinnati often call for Dunn’s head because of his fielding ability. They don’t care how many home runs he hits. They just look at him as American League trade bait.

by Ken from Cincinnati on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:28 pm

66. Yeah, like that Curtis!

We’re in the ‘H’ column! Now for the ‘R’ column…

by Mark in Chicago on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:28 pm

67. A steal and then a bunt would be a good play, man. But. Gee.

by Adam on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:29 pm

68. Sky the Optimist returns! Hey Sky – the Tigers are going to win this one just for you, just to cheer you up.

Cheer us all up.

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:29 pm

69. Ooh baby we’re in business now, maybe.

by Adam on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:30 pm

70. C’mon, Polly. Fly ball here. Get it out of the infield.

Great play by Burris to save a run, BTW.

by Mark in Chicago on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:30 pm

71. No GIDP please.

by Adam on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:31 pm

72. Oh yeah. There’s the first run. Let’s get some more.

by Brian in Tampa on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:31 pm

73. Yeah!

by Adam on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:31 pm

74. oooooh, a break for the Tigers as Polly’s chopper goes over Aurilia’s head. 1-0

Carlos needs to bust it open here. Something…. extra bases.

by Mark in Chicago on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:32 pm

75. I think they made a dugout group meeting type adjustment.

by Adam on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:32 pm

76. I would take a walk, gladly. Bases loaded for Maggs might get him out of his slump.

by Adam on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:33 pm

77. Polanco – GIRBI

by greg on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:34 pm

78. Sounds like the Tigers are prying the lid off the can…

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:34 pm

79. That run is just how I drew it up. High chopper over a drawn in 3rd baseman. Classic rocket.

by Mike R on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:35 pm

80. Come on Maggs!

by Adam on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:35 pm

81. Chris in Tampa,

You at the game? Awful far from your neck of the woods.

by Ken from Cincinnati on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:35 pm

82. They’re not so much prying the lid off the can, just kind of poking some tooth picks through the foil on top of the can.

by Mike R on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:36 pm

83. I’m feeling a big hit from Maggs here. A la 2007.

by Kevin in Austin on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:36 pm

84. Okay, okay, well we gained some ground.

Went from being no-hit to being three-hit.

Let’s go Kenny, keep us safe.

by Adam on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:36 pm

85. I’m also feeling a Lakers comeback, so take it for what it’s worth.

by Kevin in Austin on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:37 pm

86. Man, would have liked to have gotten more there. At least they made him throw some pitches.

by Mark in Chicago on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:37 pm

87. I think I get it, Greg. Clever new stat.

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:37 pm

88. 1-0 Tigers going into bottom of 6th seems to always means at least 2-1 for the opposition by the end of the game. I sure hate to make that comment but it has just been that way all year. If we do not have a big lead it is certain to be lost.

by Sky on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:39 pm

89. I’ll take the toothpicks in the foil, Mike. Do they rip the foil off next inning?

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:40 pm

90. Ken

If your asking if I’m at the game. No. Just mentally.

by Brian in Tampa on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:41 pm

91. Sean I hope they blow the entire can up with a package full of bottle rockets.

by Mike R on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:42 pm

92. So far, I like Kenny’s strategy of shutting out the Giants. I hope he sticks to that game plan.

by greg on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:42 pm

93. And I seriously LOATHE the person who taught the FSN Detroit Crew how to use the split screen. If I wanted to watch the game on a screen that’s about 10 inches across, I’d buy a 10 inch television.

by Mike R on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:43 pm

94. Oh no.

by Adam on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:44 pm

95. See, now men on 1st and 2nd no one out for SF. It happens every time and is as certain as rain in Seattle.

by Sky on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:44 pm

96. Frankly, it’s just disgusting it happens so often. They NEVER stop at the critical moment.

by Sky on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:45 pm

97. Look at that swan in LF

by Brian in Tampa on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:45 pm

98. Crap Crap Crap.

by Adam on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:45 pm

99. Rejoice. This is the kind of game Detroit was almost never in earlier in the year. Exciting, nerve-wracking… and a feeling that it’s winnable. At least that’s my feeling.

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:46 pm

100. Well at least he didn’t Rodney one.

by Adam on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:47 pm

101. Sky: Not making this up but Seattle gets less annual rain fall than NYC and Atlanta both. Just thought I’d throw that out there.

by Mike R on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:48 pm

102. That damn walk. They were trying to give you the out Kenny!

by billfer on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:48 pm

103. You know what always happens. A player makes a great defensive play, and then gets a key hit next inning. Country Strong up second.

by Brian in Tampa on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:48 pm

104. I have GOT to learn to stick with the pessimism.

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:48 pm

105. Kevin, did you get your paper turned in ok?

by Sky on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:49 pm

106. Cabrera is really, really good.

by Kevin in Austin on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:50 pm

107. And Miguel Cabrera with a blast of sunshine over Rowand’s head. See, Sky, it doesn’t rain all the time.

by Mike R on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:51 pm

108. I did Sky, many thanks. I emailed it you yesterday if you’d like to see it.

by Kevin in Austin on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:51 pm

109. Pudge is really, really bad (in situations like that).

by David G. on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:52 pm

110. Once again…….stupid baseball…………don’t tell me that truck should even think of going on a hopper to 3rd. Way to really place the ball in a good place Pudge.

by Sky on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:52 pm

111. And then the coaching staff comes in like an Arctic freaking snow storm to just cool off any good thing. Who is sending MIGUEL CABRERA on contact? You don’t send him on contact even if Aurilia is playing in San Diego, let alone, a couple feet behind the cut of the grass.

by Mike R on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:52 pm

112. Blast of sunshine being…?

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:54 pm

113. Has no one on the Detroit staff ever even heard of the suicide squeeze? I mean, I know it is risky but we can not seem to score men on 3rd any other way…..why do they not try it in close games like this?

by Sky on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:54 pm

114. Yep, ladies and gents. A 7 pitch inning.

Wooo.

by Adam on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:54 pm

115. I just found it in my mailbox, Kevin. Thanks!

by Sky on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:56 pm

116. OK, I get it now. And the double is wiped out.

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:56 pm

117. sean: I was playing off the ‘just as certain as rain in Seattle” from Sky when Miggy doubled to lead off the inning.

Seriously, what manager thinks “hey, Miguel Cabrera should come on contact on this play?”

by Mike R on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:56 pm

118. And the score would be…?

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:58 pm

119. I’m travelling without my Univac, so I can’t answer my own questions as usual…but I’m wondering here, has any team had more runners thrown out at home this year than the Tigers?

by Coleman on Jun 17, 2008 at 11:59 pm

120. Mike, i got the reference, just not the double part.

What manager trusts Pudge to hit the ball to the right side when he’s supposed to? Sounds bad all around.

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:00 am

121. Strangely enough I am in Seattle, bitterly, under clear skies…then to San Francisco a few hours after the Tigers game will have ended.

by Coleman on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:01 am

122. OK, I should shut up. I thought Miggy was going to 3rd. He was out going home?

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:02 am

123. FYI – I’m switching from the MLB.tv broadcast to Dan & Jim, that should do it.

by Kevin in Austin on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:02 am

124. The Tigers need to score, and get Kenny a win. He deserves it.

by Brian in Tampa on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:03 am

125. Yes Sean he was out going home

by Sky on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:04 am

126. Coleman, of what possible use to us are you without your Univac/ Be gone, unless you can tell me the score.

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:05 am

127. Sean: Miggy doubled, Thames hit a sac fly to RF to get him to 3rd and then with the infield playing about 3-4 feet behind the cut of the grass (and Rod Allen said “they’re playing there because Cabrera’s not coming home on contact so they don’t have to play as shallow as they would if another runner were on 3rd.”) and pudge grounded to 3rd and Miggy was coming on contact and out at home.

by Mike R on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:05 am

128. Sean C – he tagged from 2nd to 3rd on a flyout to deep right field. Then he was coming home on contact when Pudge bounced out to 3B. 3B Coach should have been in his ear “on contact on the ground, unless right to Aurilia.” Miggy should already know this, but he’s young and has made many baserunning mistakes already this year, so I’ll put that one on Lamont.

by Kevin in Austin on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:05 am

129. Holy Raburn!!!

by Brian in Tampa on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:05 am

130. RABURN!

by Adam on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:05 am

131. He crushed that ball.

by Brian in Tampa on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:06 am

132. Kevin comes through!

Ryan Raburn with a BOMB. Marcus Thames would be jealous of that shot, holy crap.

Rod Allen: “Ry-an Ra-burn, stop it! Stop it!”

by Mike R on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:06 am

133. So who comes in the 8th inning to pitch now? Rodney? Dolsi? Miner? Bautista? Everybody make your pick now so you can second guess later.

by billfer on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:06 am

134. By about 40 feet Sean

by Sky on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:06 am

135. Radio switch is working so far. I’d like to recommend it to all the MLB.tv watchers out there right now (though I’m a bit jealous that I didn’t get to see that bomb, sounds like he drilled it).

by Kevin in Austin on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:06 am

136. Bilfer I want to second guess Rodney on consecutive nights :)

by Brian in Tampa on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:07 am

137. Thank you, Mike (and Sky). Man, they’d better not let this one slip away.

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:08 am

138. I think they’re gonna have to pull him. Yay!

by Adam on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:08 am

139. Well, I am stupid….I missed both Miguel’s double and Rayburn’s HR in my bedroom typing here!

by Sky on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:09 am

140. Billfer, give me Miner since Sexy Freddy and F-Rod pitched last night.

by Mike R on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:09 am

141. I say Miner…

Ryan Raburn? He hasn’t caught up to a fastball in weeks but that was clobbered!

by Tbone on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:09 am

142. Hopefully we’ll score some more runs so it won’t matter. I’m not comfortable with any one of them, if the truth be told.

by T Smith on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:10 am

143. Tack on runs please.

by Brian in Tampa on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:10 am

144. “Everybody make your pick now so you can second guess later”

That would force us to commit to something that might not work. No fair.

I say Miner. Not my choice, just guessing what will be.

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:10 am

145. But if I were to pick, I say Miner.

by T Smith on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:11 am

146. Now, can we just score the guy on 3rd?…If we don’t I will be sick. By the way, my doctor today told me I am a prime candidate for a deadly heart attack. Wish me well boys!

by Sky on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:11 am

147. Nice rip by Polanco to move Renteria from 1st to 3rd with no outs. Takes Mr. Sanchez out of the game. Receives standing ovation and a future loss.

Ken lights a Basic and pours himself a Ginger Ale because he is a 25 year old living in a 60 year old’s body.

by Ken from Cincinnati on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:11 am

148. I know you’re all getting tired of the man on the dark side of the moon here, but… score please?

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:12 am

149. Maybe I shouldn’t watch close games!……and did anyone see Tiger win that US Open…….? What a round of golf that was!

by Sky on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:12 am

150. I’m going with Miner as well. We’re gonna get Jonesy in the 9th, and he got drilled last time up, which means he’s due for a harmless out, single, pop out, K inning.

What I’d like to do is tack on 3 more runs here (more radio switchers please) and then go Miner/Rodney or Bautista, and save Sexy and Jones for tomorrow.

by Kevin in Austin on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:13 am

151. I’m going with Bautista. That’s my choice.

Did you notice on that last hit and run that nobody broke to cover second? Didn’t matter cuz Polanco hit it, but E-Rent would have had himself a steal.

by billfer on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:14 am

152. 3-1 sean, guillen beat out a DP ball — run would’ve scored regardless but now it’s 1 out runner on 1st Tigers up two.

Sky: That was the best round of golf, and most entertaining round, I’ve ever watched. And I’m a big golf fan. Such enthralling tv.

by Mike R on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:16 am

153. Did Maggs get a hair cut? The locks don’t look quite as bushy.

by billfer on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:18 am

154. Thanks, Mike. Tack some on, Tigers.

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:19 am

155. RABURN BLAMO! Sorry, I forgot to post my exclamation when that happened 15 minutes ago. That’s really what we live for on here isn’t it?

by Ken from Cincinnati on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:19 am

156. Billfer: When Magglio hit the deep fly ball the day of miggy’s walk off shot and then hit another one deep but at the warning track on that home stand Rod Allen mentioned he got his hair cut a bit and that “he should grow that back out… regain some power” and then started that little giggle of his. So yeah, he did, apparently.

by Mike R on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:20 am

157. I think Miggy need to knock one out here.

by T Smith on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:21 am

158. Low-flow shower heads, Billfer. Super just installed them.

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:21 am

159. C’mon Marcus. Last chance.

by billfer on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:23 am

160. What the?

by billfer on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:23 am

161. I just do not know what Maggs is doing……he was out at 1st on the throw.(despite a bad call that only serves to fire up the ops!)…….how does that happen to a baserunner ?

by Sky on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:24 am

162. billfer – I thought the exact same thing

“What the?” bad word

by Brian in Tampa on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:25 am

163. Ok, what the f was that? Double steal with Cabrera and Ordonez? Is Jimmy out of his Papa Smurffin mind?? Did Thames miss a hit and run call there?

by Ken from Cincinnati on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:25 am

164. Wow. First sending Miggy on contact from 3rd with less than 2 out and now sending magglio on a steal (hit and run?) after he just busted his butt to get back to first to not get doubled up. Outstanding managing. Seriously, who does that?

P.S. Those watching the FSN Detroit telecast, is it just me or has Rod Allen used “hump” about 8 times tonight? “He had to hump it down the line.” “Tigers had to hump out Sanchez tonight.” Kind of creepy.

by Mike R on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:25 am

165. That double steal was the stupidest thing I ever saw, as well.

by Sky on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:25 am

166. Maggs made 3 outs that inning.

by ron on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:25 am

167. Sometimes I think Leyland is just kinda dumb.

by Sky on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:26 am

168. I second guess Miner first tonight. :)

by Brian in Tampa on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:26 am

169. Sadly, if I had $20.00 to bet on this game I would have to put it on SF.

by Sky on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:27 am

170. The Tigers have been playing very well the last week or so, but Leyland is still an idiot.

by Vince in MN on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:28 am

171. Mike R – LOL on the Rod Allen comments.

by greg on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:28 am

172. Marcus will have his chance to homer in the 9th.

by Adam on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:29 am

173. “Sadly, if I had $20.00 to bet on this game I would have to put it on SF.”

Sad that you would have put money on the opposition or sad that you don’t have $20.00

Well I had $60 to bet on this game and I put it on the Tigs. Bring home the bacon, bullpen.

by Ken from Cincinnati on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:30 am

174. JIM LEYLAND GOT A DECISION RIGHT TONIGHT! HOLY COW!

Or “Hey, Hey!” depending on what famous Cubs call you prefer.

by Mike R on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:30 am

175. I am very glad to report to anyone not seeing it that Miner did not surrender a 2 run homer in the 8th.

Is roller coaster time coming?

by Sky on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:31 am

176. After the play just described (double steal, missed hit and run), the next thing I want and need to read is “Tigers win.” I’ll accept nothing else.

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:31 am

177. Yeah leyland stinks…fortunately baseball managing is the least important coaching function in professional sports

by Forty on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:32 am

178. greg: I wish I was making that stuff up, haha. He’s said some peculiar things. Notably his overuse of the word “hump” in awkward context, saying that the “tigers coaching staff is so in-depth” and “that’s what makes Jim Leyland such a great manager.”

Hysterical.

by Mike R on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:32 am

179. Adam:

I would have been happy with a single from Thames in the 8th, but when the manager takes the bat out of your hands…..

by Vince in MN on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:33 am

180. No second guess. Good call on Miner.

by Brian in Tampa on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:33 am

181. i’m really enjoying the games for the past several weeks. i think it was the sarcasm here that turned things around…miner loked good there but i guess rollercoaster will pitch the 9th.

by charlie on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:33 am

182. Forty, I agree. However, he’s continuing to give away outs and just failing to make the proper decisions. It’s frustrating and just dumb.

by Mike R on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:33 am

183. Thank you for that report, Sky. Keep the good news coming.

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:35 am

184. YES!

by T Smith on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:35 am

185. OH NO HE DIDN’T! OH MY GOD! JIM LEYLAND HAD A METHOD TO HIS MADNESS!!!!!

by Mike R on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:35 am

186. Dude Thames is incredible!!!!!!!!

by Brian in Tampa on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:35 am

187. No f’ing way

by Forty on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:35 am

188. THAMES>…..8 IN A ROW

by Sky on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:35 am

189. Thank goodness the ump called that outside pitch a strike or else Marcus would just be standing on first.

by billfer on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:36 am

190. OH MY FREAKING GOD HE DID IT AGAIN.

by Adam on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:36 am

191. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

by Ken from Cincinnati on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:36 am

192. No freakin way. I’ve really sacrificed a bunch here going radio, I hope that you all appreciate it. Mike R is up next game.

by Kevin in Austin on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:36 am

193. I TOTALLY CALLED IT!!!

by Adam on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:36 am

194. THAT WAS A BOMB!

by Sky on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:36 am

195. i bet Thames was getting nervous that he might not play tomorrow, so he smashed one out for Leyland.

by Brian in Tampa on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:37 am

196. Nice…

by Joel in Seattle on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:37 am

197. Marcus Thames is just crazy right now. Wow.

by Dylan on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:37 am

198. SF announcers say it was 440 feet……………Pudge follows with a single Sean

by Sky on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:37 am

199. I couldn’t live with myself if I bet against any Detroit team. Can’t tell you how much money I’ve lost on the Lions.

by ron on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:37 am

200. Quick stat-check: When’s the last time we’ve scored in the 9th inning on consecutive days?

by Adam on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:38 am

201. By the way, if anyone is interested, Mark McGuire holds the record at 11 consecutive hits for HR. But I believe Marcus Markley Thames would be # 2 at 8.

by T Smith on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:38 am

202. What were we saying about Adam Dunn again?

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:38 am

203. This absolutely ridiculous right now. Holy crap.

by Mike R on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:38 am

204. THAMES FOR OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK! GOTTA BE. HOLY CRAP I CAN’T STOP TYPING IN ALL CAPS!!! EXCLAMATION POINT!!!

by Adam on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:39 am

205. Lol at the bonds comparison by the sf announcers…marcus would be exactly like barry if he played like this for 20 seasons

by Forty on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:39 am

206. So, was there a reason at least approaching sane why two runners were going with a guy at the plate who hasn’t hit anything but a homer in a week last inning?

by Joel in Seattle on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:39 am

207. Wow, that was a really bad run-on. And it’s only 9:30 for me…

by Joel in Seattle on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:40 am

208. What did Rod say?

by T Smith on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:40 am

209. Let’s not waste this homer.

by ron on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:41 am

210. Hell yes tigers

by Forty on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:42 am

211. Larish joins the fun!

by Adam on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:42 am

212. Larish drives in Pudge Sean…5-1, 1 out, Larish at 2nd. Renteria up.

by Sky on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:42 am

213. They should send Larish here…

by Joel in Seattle on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:44 am

214. I honestly don’t even know what Rod said because I was too busy saying a bunch of words that are not allowed on this site out loud, to myself.

hahaha, they’re showing Thames on the bench and Rod goes: “Yup, I used to hit them like that.”

by Mike R on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:44 am

215. Mark McGuire loses 5 off of his record for being a needle butt. That puts the Funk Doctor first all time. (I’m just going to keep force feeding that nickname if I have to)

Good to see Larish get in on the action. We always need a nice cushion for the coaster.

by Ken from Cincinnati on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:44 am

216. I’m sure rod said something about country strong and contact to damage ratio

by Forty on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:45 am

217. Thanks, Sky. Wow wow wow. Keep it going please.

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:45 am

218. Country Funk had better get to play tomorrow.

by Adam on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:46 am

219. Shouldn’t Leyland be pinch-running for Larish here?

by Vince in MN on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:46 am

220. AND WE GOT NO-HIT THROUGH 5!!!

by Adam on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:47 am

221. I can live with that, Adam.

by Ken from Cincinnati on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:47 am

222. PLEASE JONSEY…….DON’T MAKE THIS GAME SEEM CLOSER THAN IT IS……..OR MAKE IT CLOSER THAN IT IS!

by Sky on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:48 am

223. Funk Doctor! I second that emotion, Ken. But you’ve gotta admit, he’s country strong.

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:49 am

224. I’m trying to do a play index list on baseball reference of the most consecutive hits being homers but it’s taking forever to search and just timing out on me. booo.

by Mike R on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:51 am

225. I love it when these outfielders try to throw out a runner at home by bouncing the ball because they have no confidence in their ability to throw it on the fly on a line to the catcher. Is this little league?

by ron on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:51 am

226. I know he’s got the streak going, but Marcus could have helped us out with a walk or a base hit there. I hate rally-killing HRs…

by Joel in Seattle on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:52 am

227. I SPIT ON THE HOUSE OF MOLINA!

by Adam on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:52 am

228. I like Country Funk that Adam is bringing to the table.

by Mike R on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:52 am

229. Hey, I got it from someone here. Don’t look now, but there are two on with no outs.

by Adam on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:53 am

230. This is just stupid.

by Brian in Tampa on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:54 am

231. This is getting scary.

by Ken from Cincinnati on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:54 am

232. Not worried. Todd will get this closed out. Probably something like 5-3.

by Mike R on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:54 am

233. wELL, HERE IT COMES.THE INEVITABLE BLOWN GAME!

by Sky on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:54 am

234. No, no no no no please please no.

by Adam on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:54 am

235. Bases juiced with no outs!!

by Ken from Cincinnati on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:54 am

236. Classic, Joel.

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:55 am

237. Mark? That’s steroid strong not country strong. Strike him and his anabolics from the books.

by ron on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:55 am

238. It’s one thing to have faith in your closer. It’s another thing to be stupid. After 3 straight singles you might want to get someone up. This stubborness drives me crazy.

by billfer on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:55 am

239. Typical Jones in a non-save situation. He should never be allowed to pitch with more than a 3-run lead.

by Vince in MN on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:55 am

240. Thank you Clevlen. Bases loaded 1 out.

by Ken from Cincinnati on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:55 am

241. Buriss then a PH. So as long as Buriss doesn’t park one we should be ok? Please?

by Adam on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:56 am

242. Bring in Rodney, now.

by ron on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:56 am

243. What’s wrong with Jones

by RudeMood19 on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:57 am

244. No, please don’t bring in Rodney.

by Ken from Cincinnati on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:57 am

245. Hail mary, full of grace…

by ron on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:57 am

246. LMAO @ “Bring in Rodney.” I think I woke my parents up.

by Adam on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:58 am

247. He’s not the roller coaster for no reason :-).

by Dylan on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:58 am

248. See. Just got to have faith! (and go against whatever sky says ;-) haha)

by Mike R on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:58 am

249. Bases juiced with 2 outs. I’m fanning myself like a fat lady at church. Oh, lawdy lawdy

by Ken from Cincinnati on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:59 am

250. Good old Jones. Get everyone’s heart racing, and then get 3 straight outs.

by Brian in Tampa on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:59 am

251. JONES, YOU ARE THE LUCKIEST MOTHER IN BASEBALL!!

by Sky on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:59 am

252. Sean: Tigers win. ;)

by Adam on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:59 am

253. LOL TODD JONES

ONLY pitcher in the history of baseball who can give up 3 hits in an innings without giving up a run

by RudeMood19 on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:59 am

254. BUT WELL DONE ANYWAY……..WHY DO YOU HAVE TO DO IT THIS WAY?????

by Sky on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:59 am

255. Hey, Sky, the Tigers won. Maybe it’s time to be happy for once.

by Jeff on Jun 18, 2008 at 1:00 am

256. Great performance from Jones. It’s tough to come in with 3 guys on base and no one out… even if you put them there.

by Joel in Seattle on Jun 18, 2008 at 1:00 am

257. i think jonsey must have shares in companies that sell heart medicine. good win though. let’s take the series tomorrow.

by charlie on Jun 18, 2008 at 1:00 am

258. How can y’all be nervous with Mr. Automatic on the mound?

13/13

:-)

by greg on Jun 18, 2008 at 1:00 am

259. See you all at 4 eastern tomorrow. Time for bed.

by Brian in Tampa on Jun 18, 2008 at 1:01 am

260. McGwire has the most consecutive hits being HRs. It’s either 10 or 11…and I’m fairly sure it’s 11. Thames is now all alone in 2nd place with 8. (a few others had 7 as well)

by Eric W. Kent on Jun 18, 2008 at 1:05 am

261. Joel strikes again.

Thank you Adam.

Thank you, Todd Jones. I think.

You guys think it’s tough WATCHING Jones? Try knowing he’s pitching with bases loaded and none out and then having no idea what was happening for 5 minutes thereafter.

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 18, 2008 at 1:05 am

262. Baseball Tonight said Marcus tied Albert Belle with 8 straight hits being HR’s. McGwire leads it at 11 straight hits are HR’s.

by Mike R on Jun 18, 2008 at 1:42 am

263. GUYS, you know what I didn’t realize. The Texas Rangers, yes those very same Rangers who got annihilated by the Tigers and had Rod Allen mocking their mediocrity calling their pitching minor league material, are 36-36.

That’s shocking. Ron Washington’s doing a great job.

by RudeMood19 on Jun 18, 2008 at 2:05 am

264. I caught some of the postgame radio on the SF station (Jon Miller is absolute greatness), and they were going on and on about Marcus. Specifically about the blast that he hit tonight, but they were singing his praises for a while. It was fun to hear.

I’m really enjoying this stretch by Marcus, we may not see anything like it again for quite some time. Props to you Funky Country.

by Kevin in Austin on Jun 18, 2008 at 2:33 am

265. Great game, fun to watch.
    Thames home run was a Monster, that left everyone in Giant land speechless for a moment. I think it brought back memories of Barry. On to tomorrow.

by West Coast Tiger on Jun 18, 2008 at 3:03 am

266. Just watched the end of the game on Tivo. I went to bed with the score tied 0-0. This mornings Tiger victory was a great early x-mas present.

It looked like Thamas nearly got hurt on a diving play catch. I think it’s only a matter of time before he gets hurt out there.
    Todd Jones got my blood going with his wired performance. That’s what I call a wake up call.

Great game and great poise on behalf of the team. Sanchez looked phenomenal, but we beat him anyway. Earlier this year he would of shut us out.

by Chief Monday on Jun 18, 2008 at 7:10 am

267. I forgot to say Kudos to Rayburn and Larish for their pinch hitting, Roger’s for another excellent pitched game, and of coarse Thames for being the man on this team.

by Chief Monday on Jun 18, 2008 at 7:18 am

268. things we wouldn’t have seen earlier this season
    -adjustment to lights out pitching
    -timely two out hitting
    -marcus thames’ country power
    -maggs or miggs on a hit and run

well the last one we probably shouldn’t see for awhile.

Evidence like this game gives me real hope that they’ve turned the corner. They like to play baseball now!

by tiff on Jun 18, 2008 at 8:07 am

269. Some catch by Thames. How did he hang on to that ball? That might have been bigger than the HR, as Kenny said.

Clevlen’s catch was great, too. Do you get the feeling he might be sticking around?

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 18, 2008 at 9:37 am

270. my favorite quote from the wraps, from Kenny “I told Marcus, if you don’t hit a HR for me, you don’t love me.”

by tiff on Jun 18, 2008 at 9:55 am

271. That is good, tiff.

Well, he’s hit home runs for every starter currently in the rotation. Whole Lotta Love.

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 18, 2008 at 10:20 am

272. I don’t see Clevlen leaving, although he’s a little redundant with Raburn already on the bench. Probably: Sheffield will replace Larish and Santiago will replace Hollimon.

Am I missing anyone?

by Brian P on Jun 18, 2008 at 10:23 am

273. “I told Marcus, if you don’t hit a HR for me, you don’t love me.”

Kenny is awesome.

by Dave BW on Jun 18, 2008 at 10:26 am

274. Unless the Tigers intend to go after Adam Dunn (who strikes out quite a lot more often than Thames), I will take Marcus in LF every time, especially with OF company like Grandy and Maggs.

baseball-reference.com 162 game average for Thames:

470 AB 74 runs 114 hits 24 doubles 1 triple 33 home runs 85 rbi 41 bb 126 k .243/.308/.506 109 OPS+ 6 gdp

I’ll take that from Thames, from Joyce, from Clevlen, from Adam Dunn for that matter. A team with WS aspirations can afford to “carry” a LF like this. A 2006 WS team did carry a 3B not quite this good, in addition to a two-headed version of the same LF.

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 18, 2008 at 10:38 am

275. I guess last night we did to them what they did to us the night before…………….the Clevlen play was the game winner….it got “roller coaster” off his game!!! Jones was so shook up by that catch he got he next two guys out ,….no runs..

by judpma on Jun 18, 2008 at 10:43 am

276. “I don’t see Clevlen leaving, although he’s a little redundant with Raburn on the bench”

Brian, I’m not positive – and I’m not basing this on the catch last night I just watched video of – but I get the impression that Clevlen is the better outfielder of the two, and since it’s hard to believe they’d risk Sheffield in the OF any more, Clevlen is anything but redundant. I only wish Raburn could play a better 3B.

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 18, 2008 at 10:44 am

277. “Jones was so shook up by that catch he got the next two guys out”

Nice. Messed up the plan, for sure.

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 18, 2008 at 10:45 am

278. I like Clevlen’s defense, though Brian brings up a good point about redundancy with Raburn (say THAT five times fast). They’ve got a very similar profile and kinda play the same way (and no, I’m not just saying that because they’re both white), only Raburn can also play IF and thus is more valuable overall.

by Chris in Dallas on Jun 18, 2008 at 10:47 am

279. Clevlen, historically, is a much better outfielder than Raburn. Raburn was a 2B in the minors.

by Dave BW on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:24 pm

280. Clevlen’s excellent defensively, but I wouldn’t say Raburn is like Manny Ramirez or anything with the OF glove either. His versatility makes him the more valuable guy. He’s historically a better hitter than Clevlen, this year notwithstanding. One of the SF papers today called him a “.219 hitting scrub”. Ouch. That smarts.

by Chris in Dallas on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:34 pm

281. Thus, the bench going forward (I hate the term “going forward,” but it’s in vogue in this day of age), pending the return of Shef and Little Shef* and minus the Toledo-bound Larish and Hollimon, is:

Inge/Rodriguez, Clevlen, Raburn, Santiago.

*Similar in terms of 2008 power, but lagging far behind in RK and FRBI. Thus, “Little.”

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:37 pm

282. “One of the SF papers today called him a “.219 hitting scrub”.”

They shoulda read up on his 2 HR, 7 RBI game last year.

by Sean C. in Illinois on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:38 pm

283. Please tell me that we are going to flat pummel Zito today. Please? Absolutely no reason not to…

by David G. on Jun 18, 2008 at 1:08 pm