PREGAME: So the Tigers are playing good. We’ve seen this a couple times before where they swept a team, only to slide backwards. What’s different this time is that the Tigers aren’t playing the Twins immediately following said sweep.
The Tigers welcome in the Dodgers and Derek Lowe tonight. The Tigers as a group have pretty limited experience against Lowe, but it hasn’t been good. Lowe has only allowed 6 runs in the 29 innings spanning his last 4 starts. He’s struck out 17 and walked 7 over that time with only 2 homers allowed.
Taking the mound for Detroit is Armando Galarraga. Galarraga defeated the Indians his last time out.
It looks like we’ll have some weather tonight so hopefully they can get this one in amidst the storms.
LAD @ DET, Friday, June 13, 2008 Game Preview – Baseball-Reference.com
POSTGAME: Hey all, it’s a 4 game winning streak. Your 2008 Detroit Tigers first shut out of the year came via Armando Galarraga and Freddy Dolsi. Just like Dave Dombrowski drew it up I’m sure.
- Galarraga was awesome. Yes, I was the dumb blogger that said he’s the guy that had to come out of the rotation. Just ignore me. The guy has to be in the mix for AL Rookie of the Year.
- And how ’bout that defense behind him? Marcus Thames makes a sweet play at the fence. And Carlos Guillen was pickin’ it at third base all night.
- After the Tigers had hit several balls hard, but right at Juan Pierre I mentioned to my buddy Russ that they just need to get one over everyone’s head. Thames obliged with a missile in to the visitors bullpen.
- Mike Hollimon is still looking for his first hit, but he got that first RBI out of the way with a sac fly.
- On that weird first inning play with Carlos Guillen, it was actually pretty heads up running. The Dodgers just went unconventional. If Maggs beats out that chopper, and it was going to be close, Guillen would have been safe at home. He got a great jump running. But who expects the opposition to come home with 2 outs.
- As for the emptying of benches and who the Tigers will drill tomorrow? I don’t see it happening. Not with a rookie on the mound making his debut. Maggs offered up his own payback with a 2 run homer.
- And I couldn’t let the postgame go by without mentioning Sexy Freddy Solid pitched 2 perfect innings earning a save.
Happy times at the ballpark tonight. If Detroit can get 1 of the next 2 I think you have to call it a successful homestand.