Game 65: White Sox at Tigers

by billfer on June 11, 2008 · 132 comments

in 2008 Season,Game Post

PREGAME: The Tigers take on Javier Vazquez tonight. You may remember Vazquez from an earlier Tiger debacle this year in which he fanned 9 and walked none in 7 shut out innings. It resulted in the first eruption from Mt Leyland in 2008. The Tigers don’t have his number. In Vazquez’s last 4 outings against Detroit he’s lasted at least 7 innings and not given up more than 3 runs.

Justin Verlander on the other hand has struggled against the White Sox this year. He’s allowed 15 runs in 2 starts with 7 walks and 7 K’s.

Verlander very rarely gets run support this year, and the Tigers track record against Vazquez would indicate a continuation of the trend.

CHW @ DET, Wednesday, June 11, 2008 Game Preview – Baseball-Reference.com

Game Time 7:05

POSTGAME
: Pitchers pitching. Hitters hitting. Fielders fielding. I could get use to this.

• Verlander only fanned 3, but he walked none and picked up an inordinate amount of pop-outs. The result was an easy breezy complete game. The first for the Tigers in 364 days.
  • Miguel Cabrera may have had a game changing walk. He worked a 14 pitch walk leading off the second inning. That inning turned into a Marcus Thames three run jimmy-jack. I’m too lazy to look it up, but I think the 14 pitches were probably more than any inning the last time they faced Vazquez.
  • Again, everybody contributed on offense – for the most part. Jeff Larish continues to struggle and chased a lot of high fastballs.
  • Brent Clevlen made another nice play tonight. And Carlos Guillen has been picking it lately as well.
  • The Tigers themselves were a little jumpy tonight going 8 straight batters at one point swinging at the first pitch. But it works when you get hits and homers.

{ 132 comments }

Chris in Dallas June 11, 2008 at 6:33 pm

Call me crazy, but I sense a reversing of trends for tonight. One JV (Vasquez) will get lit up, while the other JV will be locked in.

Mark in Chicago June 11, 2008 at 6:37 pm

You’re crazy, Chris.

(hey ,you said call you crazy)

Dave BW June 11, 2008 at 7:05 pm

The White Sox shall be destroyed. Javier Vasquez shall be destroyed. Matt Thornton, Nick Masset, Octavio Dotel, Boone Logan, and Scott Linebrink? They shall be destroyed. Chicago shall be a land of tears and broken dreams tonight!

Dave BW June 11, 2008 at 7:10 pm

Verlander mows down the first three batters on 5 pitches.

Dave BW June 11, 2008 at 7:14 pm

Polanco smacks a high fastball to right for the game’s first hit, but it comes to nothing as Guillen and Ordonez fly and ground out respectively. 2nd inning, no score

Dave BW June 11, 2008 at 7:21 pm

Verlander has a subpar inning, needing a staggering 8 pitches to dispatch the Sox in the second. He has no velocity tonight, but that’s compensated for by his terrific location and the ridiculously over-anxious Sox hitters

Mark in Chicago June 11, 2008 at 7:23 pm

Yeah, he really labored there in the second, didn’t he Dave?

Both lineups are uber-aggressive right now.

Adam June 11, 2008 at 7:26 pm

Nice AB, Miguel. How about taking a pitch once in a while?

Mark in Chicago June 11, 2008 at 7:29 pm

Great AB by Cabrera, a 14-pitch walk. Looks like he’s seeing the ball well, and he fouled off a TON of pitches.

Adam June 11, 2008 at 7:29 pm

A 14 pitch walk. Wow, that’s got to feel like suck. For the pitcher.

Dave BW June 11, 2008 at 7:29 pm

Epic 14 pitch AB for Cabrera that results in a walk. Vazquez threw him approximately 300 fastballs low in the zone, each of which Cabrera fouled off. I’m lost as to why he thought that focusing on that location was a good strategy.

Mark in Chicago June 11, 2008 at 7:32 pm

Marcus with a bullet!!! Man, did he smoke that thing.

Adam June 11, 2008 at 7:32 pm

Thamesy baby!

Dave BW June 11, 2008 at 7:32 pm

THAMES HR!!!!! He just clobbered the first pitch he saw, and you could tell it was gone the second he made contact. 3-0 Tigers.

The HR was off a slider right down the middle. Vazquez has made a lot of location mistakes already.

Dave BW June 11, 2008 at 7:34 pm

fyi thames is hitting an HR every 13 AB’s this year

The One June 11, 2008 at 7:38 pm

Jim. This is God. Fetch me my cigarettes.

Wait, no, actually I quit. Just like you need to quit this LF carousel thing you seem to enjoy so much. Thames, he’s a nice guy. Give him a shot for me, eh?

Coleman June 11, 2008 at 7:40 pm

Like night and day…

They were asking for that…letting 2 guys on in front of Thames–in a night game no less!

Today’s fun fact:

Marcus “Night Train” Thames, AB per HR ratio, ’08:

Day games: 1 for 35
Night games: 1 for 10

Dave BW June 11, 2008 at 7:41 pm

Let’s just cancel all further day games for the rest of the year.

Golly, do these White Sox like to swing.

Adam June 11, 2008 at 7:47 pm

What’s the record for induced pop-outs by a pitcher in a game?

Verly has 6 through 3.

Mark in Chicago June 11, 2008 at 7:48 pm

Larish having a tough time laying off the high fastball…

Dave BW June 11, 2008 at 7:48 pm

Another hit for Cabrera. For those of you keeping track, he’s up to .281.

Coleman June 11, 2008 at 7:49 pm

Adam, I bet it’s pretty high…if you think about it pitchers starting against the Tigers in May were getting spotted 2 or 3 by Sheffield alone…

Mark in Chicago June 11, 2008 at 7:52 pm

Goodness, Edgar must have sold his soul to the devil. He gets the gift base hit that should have been scored an error, and now the infield squibber that jumps past Crede.

2 hits that have travelled maybe a total of 200 feet.

billfer June 11, 2008 at 7:52 pm

That can’t be right Dave. Someone told me Cabrera is incapable of hitting .280.

And with that Chris is off of moderation.

Coleman June 11, 2008 at 7:52 pm

Dave: “Another hit for Cabrera. For those of you keeping track, he’s up to .281.”

For those of us who deny the existence of day games, that translates as “for those of you keeping track, he’s up to .327″

Dave BW June 11, 2008 at 7:54 pm

Verlander has broken the 5.00 ERA barrier!!!

billfer June 11, 2008 at 7:55 pm

At one point in this game 8 consecutive Tigers swung at the first pitch. The results were 1 homer, 1 single, 2 walks, and 4 outs.

Dave BW June 11, 2008 at 7:59 pm

O Cabrera scores on A Pierzynski single. Pierzynski decided to go for second for no good reason, though, and was thrown out by Maggs. 3-1 Tigers

Dave BW June 11, 2008 at 8:03 pm

BINGE double! Possibly the grittiest double I’ve ever seen.

Meanwhile, Granderson continues to struggle.

Dave BW June 11, 2008 at 8:10 pm

Rod: “It’s no secret, most Latin players love to eat their rice and beans on a daily basis.”

You can’t make this stuff up.

billfer June 11, 2008 at 8:17 pm

Sorry about a hiccup on the site guys. The database server crapped out.

Adam June 11, 2008 at 8:18 pm

Yeah. Maggs singles Inge in, Miggy pops out in foul territory.

Vasquez at 78 pitches through 4.
Verlander at 37 through 4.

Mark in Chicago June 11, 2008 at 8:19 pm

Verlander needs to show Robertson how to make a good 2-strike pitch like the one he just threw to Crede.

Coleman June 11, 2008 at 8:20 pm

Dave, Inge is the grit that sits in the…no wait, Inge is the straw that stirs the grit into the…oh nevermind.

This messes up my new day/night platoon system though…Inge is on the daylight list.
(Granderson however: still daylight guy).

Adam June 11, 2008 at 8:21 pm

Verlander at 48 through 5.

Coleman June 11, 2008 at 8:23 pm

Wow, I just noticed Verlander’s pitch count. If he stays at this pace he’s good for about 12 innings…

Coleman June 11, 2008 at 8:24 pm

Damn, beat to the punch again! Adam clearly has a faster internet connection…

Dave BW June 11, 2008 at 8:25 pm

Lay off the high ones, Edgar!

Coleman June 11, 2008 at 8:27 pm

Actually those high ones can turn out to be pretty good for that “single to shortstop” thing Edgar has been working on…

Coleman June 11, 2008 at 8:30 pm

“Sorry about a hiccup on the site guys. The database server crapped out.” I think billfer will find when he checks the various logs or whatnot that the “crapout” occurred immediately following this comment from Dave BW:

Not that I’m inferring anything…

Adam June 11, 2008 at 8:32 pm

JV’s pop-out watch: 8

Adam June 11, 2008 at 8:38 pm

I think his control’s starting to go a little.

Anyway, 64 through 6.

Neal June 11, 2008 at 8:41 pm

Do you think Skip is about ready to pull JV? He’s not used to having anyone go more than 6 innings, it might just be reflexive (is that a word?) for Leyland to pull his starter in the 7th.

Coleman June 11, 2008 at 8:43 pm

I don’t know but that pitch Vazquez struck Inge out on was probably his best pitch of the game

Neal June 11, 2008 at 8:44 pm

Why do I suddenly have this urge to have a seven layer burrito and Samba? No particular order. I don’t even known any Latin.

Dave BW June 11, 2008 at 8:44 pm

Guillen triple makes it 5-1 Tigers

Coleman June 11, 2008 at 8:47 pm

Be careful with the burritos the database server is sensitive tonight.

Considering all the balls these guys hit hard right at people when things were at their worst, I think it’s a good sign that they are starting to get the Cue ball in the Corner Pocket Triples, etc.

Chris June 11, 2008 at 8:47 pm

Clutch hits seem to be happening. Polanco’s BA is above .300. Cabrera seems to be seeing the ball well. Could this finaly be the offense whe thought we will see in ’08?

charlie June 11, 2008 at 8:54 pm

nice catch clevlan

Sky June 11, 2008 at 8:54 pm

Cleven has already eared his place these two nights!

Coleman June 11, 2008 at 8:54 pm

“Clutch hits seem to be happening. Polanco’s BA is above .300″

Or as we say in the nighttime utopia where Day Games have been stricken from the land…Polanco’s BA is above .355

Adam June 11, 2008 at 8:56 pm

10 strikeouts against us. If you’d told me we’d strike out this much, I’d have assumed we were going to get shut out again.

Coleman June 11, 2008 at 8:57 pm

“Cleven has already eared his place these two nights!”

Sky I never noticed that, they are kind of odd. Sorta big, but they aren’t huge, it’s more that they are far back on his head or something, and they stick out funny from under his cap.

Neal June 11, 2008 at 8:57 pm

Wow, when did we trade for these guys? Or are they recent call-ups from Toledo?

Sky June 11, 2008 at 8:59 pm

Been a great game so far….but these called 3rd strikes like Cabrera and Larish took this inning do not look good. The pitches were close enough for protecting swings at least.

Sky June 11, 2008 at 9:00 pm

Not worth commenting on Coleman

Adam June 11, 2008 at 9:04 pm

I hope Verlander gets to have a CG today. That would be cool.

Sky June 11, 2008 at 9:04 pm

Verlander is just incredibly good tonight. What a relief to see him get support, because he has definitely thrown better all year than his record shows. One year ago tomorrow he had his no-hitter, and that was the last CG for Tiger pitching since.

Jim June 11, 2008 at 9:04 pm

anyone else’s cable crap out?

Mark in Troy June 11, 2008 at 9:05 pm

was down for a minute

Mark in Chicago June 11, 2008 at 9:07 pm

Man, we’ve struck out a ton tonight. It’s one thing to do it against Vazquez, but Masset and Loaiza?

Coleman June 11, 2008 at 9:09 pm

Sky, I agree about Larish, he’s starting to look like he did his first few games, like he’s overmatched. Hopefully this isn’t a regression, just a bad night (improvement isn’t always a straight line…)

[I couldn’t resist joking on the “eared” typo, since I had actually just realized his ears looked funny in his photo, and there it was!)

Coleman June 11, 2008 at 9:14 pm

“One year ago tomorrow he had his no-hitter, and that was the last CG for Tiger pitching since.” Sky makes a good comment; I hadn’t thought of that, who knows, maybe it’s got Verlander a bit pumped up.

I’m all for the CG though; his pitch count is mid-80′s, and it’s like a little carrot to balance out all the little sticks (grumbling about going deep in counts and getting to the bullpen too soon).

Mark in Chicago June 11, 2008 at 9:17 pm

terrible call right there, Anderson was safe by 2 feet.

oh well, i’ll take it

Mark in Chicago June 11, 2008 at 9:20 pm

ballgame!! awesome win

Dave BW June 11, 2008 at 9:21 pm

You know what that is, kids? That’s a series win!

Sky June 11, 2008 at 9:22 pm

Best overall performance of the team this year!

Coleman June 11, 2008 at 9:25 pm

It was an enjoyable performance on many levels. We might even be developing a bit of that thing…what’s it called again…yeah, momentum! that’s it.

Kathy June 11, 2008 at 9:32 pm

Me likey!!!

Tbone June 11, 2008 at 9:43 pm

I’m feeling maybe like the team fortunes could change for the better now. The Tigers haven’t quite been the same since Verlander’s last complete game, so now maybe the momentum will be reversed.

I’m all about praying to the baseball Gods at this point!

Mike R June 11, 2008 at 9:58 pm

I feel like I’ve passed the great prediction torch off to Chris In Dallas. Kudos to you, good sir. Who’s got the baton tomorrow?

jason June 11, 2008 at 10:06 pm

Wow, impressive game by Verlander, although he is still on pace for 20 loses.

Just when you thought the Tigers would be swept and avoid all further talk of possibly winning the division or postseason hopes, they are on the verge themselves of sweeping the formerly-hot division leaders, putting some decent momentum together, and being back to a single-digit games deficit.

Personally, I am still waiting for the magic .500.

Mike R June 11, 2008 at 10:08 pm

Yeah, so how about Jordan Tata tonight down in High-A Lakeland?

0.2 IP, 0 H, 4 ER, 5 BB, 0 K, 0 BB, 1 WP.

no, I’m not making that line up.

Scroll down to the pitchers.

jason June 11, 2008 at 10:12 pm

Oh, and I like the game time: 2h 13m. If only all games were that fast.

Mark in Chicago June 11, 2008 at 10:36 pm

I refuse to get sucked in. I need to see 10-12 games of consistently good play before that happens.

Ken from Cincinnati June 11, 2008 at 10:48 pm

Mark, you’re already sucked in my friend. All true fans are. You wouldn’t be on this blog night after night if you weren’t. Great win. This is one of the few games I didn’t get to watch and I’m sorry I was absent. It sounds like we finally outplayed a team in all facets.

judpma June 11, 2008 at 11:01 pm

Verlander pitched all nine innings is that “legal”

Mark in Chicago June 11, 2008 at 11:02 pm

I know, Ken. You’re completely right. It was a great win and hopefully the start of a long stretch of solid baseball. We just need a good strech to get back in it.

judpma June 11, 2008 at 11:03 pm

Ken maybe it is you and me ….I haven’t been able to watch either of the last two games….I will be afraid to watch tomorrow…

Mark in Chicago June 11, 2008 at 11:18 pm

Here’s a question:

We are facing a struggling pitcher tomorrow, who also happens to be left-handed.

Tomorrow is a day game.

Coleman, do you start Thames in left tomorrow? I don’t think there’s any question, but you never know with Leyland.

Chris June 11, 2008 at 11:46 pm

I went back on gameday and seen the Cabrera AB, and it was impressive– a grinder-outer if there ever was one.

Mike R June 11, 2008 at 11:47 pm

Clearly the correct move is to bring up Joel Zumaya and start him in Left Field.

Coleman June 11, 2008 at 11:49 pm

I’m trying not to think of tomorrow…why spoil the good mood? And yet in just a few hours an ominous wave of sunshine will roll in to bury the team under daylight…

My first option: rain dance.

The Thames question was already bothering me though. On the one hand: Thames has 7 HR, 5 vs LHP (7.6 AB/HR!) and 2 vs RHP (30 AB/HR). To make it tougher, it’s important when he hits a HR–Tigers are 6 – 0 when he does (he had 2 in one game).

On the other hand, he has 1 HR in the daytime (35 AB/HR) and 6 at night 10.5 AB/HR). Oh, and his daytime HR? in a 3:55 “day” game! So he’s equally bad daytime/vs RHP and equally good nighttime/vs LHP. Hmmm…

Sean C. in Illinois June 11, 2008 at 11:49 pm

Wow. Had to miss this one, but great thread. I feel now almost like I did follow the game.

Dave, love your reporting. Coleman, love your stats. Dallas Chris, love your prediction, though Dave’s was more poetic. Everyone else, I just love you. Group hug.

Two words, young man: Marcus… Thames. Also nice to hear of a Tigers pitcher simply cruising. First time this year, really – right? The Ace. Justin and The Cruisers.

There is wailing and gnashing of teeth going on 60-odd miles to the southeast of me, and I am loving it.

Coleman June 11, 2008 at 11:56 pm

The other thing I wonder…I’m not sure if these guys would even have a concept that they are doing so differently in day vs night games. If not, and someone showed them this–would they suddenly start improving? Or would they feel more pressure during the day games, and play even worse? [This doesn't apply to any of them who are actual vampires, obviously]

Sean C. in Illinois June 12, 2008 at 12:25 am

Coleman – I would guess that some of the players are aware of the day game record, at least in a general sense. I would also guess that Leyland has been made aware of it somehow or just knows it, but I doubt that it’s the sort of thing he would take very seriously.

The only thing I think a manager could do about it, if there’s anything that could be done, would be a simple change of the pregame routine, change for the sake of change, a slight shakeup, nothing major. Just to (maybe) shake off any ruts they might have gotten into.

I dunno. Earlier curfew? I don’t think they have curfews any more, though, do they?

ron June 12, 2008 at 1:36 am

Rice and beans except when the ‘roids erupt . How many more runs do we need for a thousand? We should stick with the Mike and Chris show; they’re unbeaten. It’s your turn Mike R.

Ken from Cincinnati June 12, 2008 at 7:17 am

The 1:00 game today seems unproportianally important to me for several distinct reasons.

1. The day game curse must be put to rest. I don’t like our “creatures of the night” rep. It’s slightly creepy.
2. We need to build on momentum instead of stunting it like we normally do following big wins. No more two steps forward one step back stuff.
3. We need to show the Central Division that we won’t be trampled on any longer. Strike a little fear into them. Only a sweep will really send that message. 2 out of three is forgettable.
4. We drastically need another full game advance in the standings.
5. Player confidence could really be fueled. One more solid game by Thames could cement his presence in the line-up.

Hi, I’m master of the obvious. Nice to meet you. I think I just always wanted to write some form of a list. Albeit generic and uninformative, you still have to concede that it is a list.

judpma June 12, 2008 at 8:01 am

how about a team breakfast and call it dinner so you think you are heading for a night game….maybe play music like Night Fever, Turn out the lights, Into the Night, Good night Irene, and show movies like Nightmare on Elm Street or Night Stalker, or Saturday Night fever……Tape and play the 6:00 pm news……..this should all work shouldn’t it..

Sean C. in Illinois June 12, 2008 at 8:58 am

Ken

1. Nice list.
2. I concede that it is a list.
3. I can see that it is a list.
4. Billfer should make a rule that all posts be in the form of a list.
5. I like lists because… well, I’ll post a list of the reasons later.

It’s hard for me to believe at this point that Thames can possibly do anything to cement his presence in the lineup. I’ve resigned myself to LF by committee. Maybe this will help somehow (my resignation).

Sean C. in Illinois June 12, 2008 at 9:32 am

Who is this Brian Rogers the Tigers have signed to a minor league contract? The RHP the Tigers drafted in 2003 who’s pitched for the Pirates and more recently Indianapolis in the IL?

Chris in Dallas June 12, 2008 at 10:46 am

Reading this entire thread put a smile on my face. You guys are too much. I am going to toot my own horn, though (BTW it’s a french horn) – my JV reversal prediction was very astute. Yay me.

Dave BW June 12, 2008 at 10:50 am

The only good thing about a lineup without Thames is that it prevents us from having to hear Rod tell the story about how Leyland decided to put him on the 06 roster for the millionth time.

And Chris, I’m very proud of our game threads this year — mostly because I get a kick out of reading them weeks or months later.

ron June 12, 2008 at 11:01 am

Some people get lists from other family members when they get up in the morning. I can’t stand lists. Go Tigers.

Chris in Dallas June 12, 2008 at 11:04 am

Dave: our thread chemistry is off the charts. Very gritty. Like a team of 9 David Ecksteins. Or maybe 5 Ecksteins and 4 Darin Erstads.

tiff June 12, 2008 at 11:04 am

Verlander pitched a fast game!
I need to check some highlights of the Gil at bat. Good on ya, Gil.
I’ll be at the game this afternoon, with Kenny on the mound. Every game Kenny game I’ve attended so far has resulted in a W. However, this is my first day game (besides Opening Day).
I second the motion that day games are stricken for the record.
A win today would be huge.

ron June 12, 2008 at 11:12 am

Looking at the schedule til’ the All-Star break, we can definitely begin to motor our way up the standings.

Dave BW June 12, 2008 at 11:19 am

Chris — Holy crap, five Ecksteins and four Erstads! Can you even imagine how great that team would be??!?

Chris in Dallas June 12, 2008 at 11:19 am

14 pitch at bats are always a good thing. Anyone remember the 15 pitch walk that Inge drew against the A’s back in ’06 that led to a late inning comeback? That was sweet. Also, I’m beginning to think that the body double that was taking Verlander’s place early in the year has been replaced with the actual Justin Verlander. That’s good to know.

Dave BW June 12, 2008 at 11:20 am

Oh yes I remember — it was an 18 pitch AB that Leyland referred to as a “Marlboro and a half”, and my brother referred to as “the most boring good baseball moment I’ve ever seen.” Those were heady times, my friends!

Chris in Dallas June 12, 2008 at 11:39 am

I remember that it was a day game and I was following the action online at work. I thought the computer froze up or something. Anyway, I think the most boring good baseball moment has to be an unassisted triple play. There’s really only one way to do it, and it’s over in like .341 seconds before you really knew what happened.

cib June 12, 2008 at 11:40 am

Tiff, I’m headed over, I’m in sec 338 row 15

I am a bit hesitant actually. Due to my cable still being out I have not been able to watch the last two games or be on the blog at the same time. Is my isolation from the outside world what the Tigers have needed? Hope not!

tiff June 12, 2008 at 11:52 am

see ya there!

Sean C. in Illinois June 12, 2008 at 11:52 am

Time for Guess Today’s Lineup. The payoff should be in the millions, because the odds against guessing a Tigers under Jim Leyland lineup correctly on any given day are enornmous. This has the added benefit of being a list, which Ron is on record as liking and wanting more of.

This isn’t a guess, really. It’s what I’d do, and I’ve actually researched it, which is one more reason it will not happen.

CF Granderson
2B Polanco
3B Guillen
RF Ordonez
1B Cabrera
DH Thames
SS Renteria*
C Inge
LF Clevlen

* If Santiago was available I would start him and put him at #9. I’m tempted to start Hollimon just for spite, but there’s no real game advantage to that.

Granderson hits Buerhle pretty well. Polanco has a great career BA against him, and this will be the first time he’s faced him in 2008 (as with Granderson). Buerhle’s line from the April start appears dominant, but as far as I can tell from looking at the pitch by pitch, he didn’t dominate Ordonez and Thames, and I expect Magglio to beat on him.

The key to this game will be keeping Pudge out of the lineup. If he’s in there, Tigers lose. Bank it. Inge can catch 2 games in a row. It’s allowed.

If it’s someone’s day of rest, Guillen maybe, then I won’t have time to rearrange my lineup before the game. It would nice if they could let you know these things.

Carolyn June 12, 2008 at 11:59 am

I think Thames will be third, since there’s a lefty on the mound.

Ryan June 12, 2008 at 12:14 pm

Here goes nothing:

C Rodriguez
3B Raburn
DH Guillen
RF Ordonez
1B Cabrera
SS Renteria
LF Clevlen
2B Hollimon
CF Granderson

And I think I’ve figured out why Larish continues to play. He really makes Sheff seem not so bad, doesn’t he? How many of you thought you’d be rooting for Sheff to get back into the lineup?

Sean C. in Illinois June 12, 2008 at 12:16 pm

I wouldn’t mind Thames batting 3rd. He batted 2nd last time against Buehrle, but Polanco was out.

I really can spell Buehrle, sometimes.

Sean C. in Illinois June 12, 2008 at 12:21 pm

Please, Ryan, I implore you – NO PUDGE. Inge hits Buerhle better, believe it or not. And if it’s Polanco’s day off (against MB? – gak!), I like Raburn at 2B.

Carolyn June 12, 2008 at 12:22 pm

Does anyone know where the starting lineups can be found once they come out just before the game?

Sean C. in Illinois June 12, 2008 at 12:22 pm

Also, Ryan, I would hope it hasn’t come down to Larish vs. Sheffield. There must be less painful alternatives.

Sean C. in Illinois June 12, 2008 at 12:23 pm

I don’t know, Carolyn. They do tend to get posted here pretty quickly, so someone must know.

Ryan June 12, 2008 at 12:27 pm

Sean: Please understand. Not the lineup I want, but what I think I’m gonna get. And of course there are better DH alternatives. We just can’t use them, pursuant to MLB rule 11.5.10 -”DH minimum suck requirements – Tigers”. Believe me, I hate when Sheff and Larish take up valuable Thamesspace, but rules are rules.

Sean C. in Illinois June 12, 2008 at 12:30 pm

You’re right, Ryan. Without rules there would be chaos and anarchy and possibly a Tigers winning season. (sigh)

I should really go to the Tigers website first before I get my hopes up. Pudge is in there, hopefully not leading off (PLEASE!).

And Bonine is starting Saturday. That will be cool.

Ryan June 12, 2008 at 12:31 pm

By the way, anyone have an opinion on Hessman vs. Timo for the roster spot I keep telling myself Larish will lose any day now?

Sean C. in Illinois June 12, 2008 at 12:32 pm

Oh, and it would appear that Maggs is DH. Screws my whole plan up. Crap.

Sean C. in Illinois June 12, 2008 at 12:32 pm

I like Timo but want Hessman, for my own sinister plans.

Sean C. in Illinois June 12, 2008 at 12:34 pm

Valuable Thamesspace

That’s great. Sometimes I read too fast.

Chris in Dallas June 12, 2008 at 12:35 pm

Tigers Stat of the Day: Your 2008 Tigers are 27-3 when scoring 5 or more runs in a game. Also, they are 25-6 when outhitting the opponent.

Chris in Dallas June 12, 2008 at 12:37 pm

Addendum to previous post: The Tigs are 26-0 when leading after the 8th inning. Also they are 28-0 when leading after the 9th inning.

Sean C. in Illinois June 12, 2008 at 12:40 pm

“Also, they are 25-6 when outhitting the opponent.”

I brought that stat out a week ago, and got no recognition. The hurt doesn’t show, but the pain still grows. So I’m refusing to acknowledge you on this one.

Chris in Dallas June 12, 2008 at 12:42 pm

By the way, here’s the actual lineup for today:

Renteria, SS
Polanco, 2B
Guillen, 3B
Ordonez, DH
Cabrera, 1B
Thames, LF
Rodriguez, C
Clevlen, CF
Raburn, RF

Sean C. in Illinois June 12, 2008 at 12:42 pm

“Your 2008 Tigers are 27-3 when scoring 5 or more runs in a game.”

I do like that one.

Chris in Dallas June 12, 2008 at 12:43 pm

Sean: My bad. I didn’t mean to steal your thunder. Also, I just read that Vance Wilson tore his elbow ligament again. He’s attempting to become the first major leaguer to take 7 years to rehab from Tommy John Surgery.

Sean C. in Illinois June 12, 2008 at 12:44 pm

Could you tell Carolyn where you got the lineup, Chris?

Chris in Dallas June 12, 2008 at 12:46 pm

Carolyn: I got the lineup from Jason Beck’s blog on the official team site…

Ryan June 12, 2008 at 12:47 pm

Beat to the lineup by three minutes. Damn my divided attention.
Not sure where Chris’s is from, but I got mine off of MLB Gameday.

Sean C. in Illinois June 12, 2008 at 12:47 pm

Thank you, Chris. Now could you tell me where you got the lineup?

Sean C. in Illinois June 12, 2008 at 12:49 pm

I was going to bat Renteria leadoff! It’s true! I changed my mind when I saw Granderson’s stats against MB.

I hate Jim Leyland. He’s ruined my life.

Sean C. in Illinois June 12, 2008 at 12:49 pm

He gets raised a few rungs in hell for batting Thames #6.

Sean C. in Illinois June 12, 2008 at 12:51 pm

Idle question: Does damning divided attention = dividing damned attention? That’s one of those “commutative” thingys, isn’t it?

Chris in Dallas June 12, 2008 at 12:53 pm

I think the stars may be aligned for young Carlos Guillen today. He sports a .358 home batting average this year, and a .331 batting average against White Sox pitching. This is the last time I will pretend that batting average means anything, I promise.

Chris in Dallas June 12, 2008 at 12:55 pm

This should be a quick game. Buehrle is the anti-Rafael Betancourt when it comes to tempo. Of course it will slow down when the Tigers torch him for 10 first inning runs.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post:

Switch to our mobile site