Clete for Clevlen

by billfer on June 18, 2008 · 15 comments

in 2008 Season,Injuries,Roster Management

Clete Thomas has been recalled from his rehab assignment. It has come at the expense of Brent Clevlen. Clevlen didn’t get the bat going, but he did play some slick defense in the outfield. Clevlen and Thomas are probably a push defensively, but Thomas carries a left handed stick which is probably the reason for the move. One would hope that this wouldn’t lead to more platooning of Marcus Thames.

Leyland was encouraged by what he saw from Clevlen saying

“I think Clevlen is really, really close to being a Major League player for sure.”

{ 15 comments }

Chris June 18, 2008 at 10:44 pm

No freaking way you take Marcus Thames out of the everyday lineup.

Dave BW June 18, 2008 at 10:54 pm

That would probably be a lot more flattering if Clevlen wasn’t already 25 years old.

Mike R June 18, 2008 at 10:58 pm

And if Clevlen hadn’t had 1 good year in the minor leagues.

Mark in Chicago June 18, 2008 at 11:00 pm

That’s great Clevlen is close to being a major league player. Where is he gong to play?

It looks like AAA Toledo, along with all the other “almost major-leaguers”. It would not surprise me to see them trade Clevlen as part of a package for pitching, because I just can’t figure out what role he would eventually take on this team.

At least Raburn has some versatility, but the only way Clevlen get into the lineup every day is if Thames gets hurt or goes a game without hitting a HR and Jimmuh benches him for a month. And even then he’s got to compete with Clete (OK, it’s somebody else’s turn to rhyme).

tiff June 18, 2008 at 11:18 pm

I do wonder about the future of the Raburns, Clevlens, Cletes…. we seem so crowded with OFs.

Chief Monday June 19, 2008 at 6:43 am

It doesn’t matter to me who plays the back-up roles. Whether it be Clete, Clevlen, Raburn, Santiago, ect.

I hope the Tigers go after someone like Carlos Beltran to play LF. I’d rather have a complete ball player in LF instead of these filler players.

Kathy June 19, 2008 at 8:21 am

Personally, I like the scrubs!

Sean C. in Illinois June 19, 2008 at 10:33 am

The Tigers do have good scrubs. And except for Santiago this season, I give Leyland good marks on how he’s used his bench throughout his tenure.

Sean C. in Illinois June 19, 2008 at 10:39 am

Cllete Thomas up must have everything to do with exchanging Larish for another LHB. And I’m afraid it will mean another semi-platoon situation in LF before long. Not because I expect Thames to tank, but because I just think this is how Leyland’s mind works.

Dave BW June 19, 2008 at 10:45 am

Yeah, Scrubs is a pretty great show.

Chris in Dallas June 19, 2008 at 10:57 am

They should switch first names. Brent Thomas and Clete Clevlen sounds much better.

Dave BW June 19, 2008 at 11:03 am

Clete Clevlen sounds like a player from our 2006 farm system, where seemingly every player had an all alliteration name

Sean C. in Illinois June 19, 2008 at 11:41 am

All I know is that there’s no way SF should even tried for that DP yesterday. Bowker to Denker is a logical impossibility.

Trade Brent to the Indians already.

judpma June 20, 2008 at 8:52 am

add Freddy Guzman to that list of outfielders in the minors with no place to play….

judpma June 20, 2008 at 8:54 am

Larish needs more minor league time just to get his hat right

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post:

Switch to our mobile site