Sheffield finally hits DL, Larish up

by billfer on May 27, 2008 · 17 comments

in 2008 Season,Injuries,Roster Management

Gary Sheffield’s oblique strain suffered in last night’s game has landed him on the disabled list. Jeff Larish has been called up and is jetting to LA for tonight’s game. He won’t be DH’ing though. That role will be reserved for Carlos Guillen tonight. Apparently he is bothered by hemorrhoids which is limiting his mobility. I guess HIPAA doesn’t apply to baseball players.

As for Larish, he’s 25 year old lefty hitting first baseman. He was selected by the Tigers in the 2005 draft and was the runner up for Eastern League player of the year honors last year. He led the AA league in homers and RBI. This year he’s mashing to the tune of 274/369/589 for the Mud Hens.

{ 17 comments }

Dylan May 27, 2008 at 8:48 pm

Is it surprising they called up Larish and not Hessman?

Dave BW May 27, 2008 at 8:53 pm

It seems like I’ve been waiting forever to see Larish make his debut. Sweet. I would guess on Cabrera at third, Larish at first.

Mark in Chicago May 27, 2008 at 9:06 pm

Nice to see Larish get the call, he’s been raking. I’m not surprised they picked him over Hessman, I think you know what you get with Hessman, but Larish is an unknown for the most part. Plus he’s a lefty bat.

I think a lot of folks around here will be pleased to see Guillen DHing for a spell (myself included). Inge, despite all his shortcomings offensively, belong on the field at 3b.

Chris May 27, 2008 at 9:06 pm

“Is it surprising they called up Larish and not Hessman?”

It’s not at all suprising. Larish has been pretty much as hot as Hessman, but the advantage with Larish is that he bats left handed.

If he can somehow light it up like he has for Toledo, it could very well be the spark that gets this offense out of it’s funk. And if that happens, then there is no way Larish goes back down to Toledo… We’ll see

Neal May 27, 2008 at 9:16 pm

This is a move they should have made a while ago.
If Caberra can paly 3rd, then this is fine, but if not, where does Larish fit in if Guillen is DH??
We have kind of plugged the gap in left with Thomas and Joyce in the short term, but what is the long term solution?
How about Hessman at 3rd, Larrish at 1st, and alternate Guillen and Caberra between Left and DH? Can either of them cover enough ground to play out there?

Sean C. in Illinois May 27, 2008 at 9:19 pm

Good news, interesting news. Cabrera at 3B? Hmmm. Is it possible that Larish might not even start? It’s not that I wouldn’t want him to, and I know Inge doesn’t hit Santana, but I’m trying to anticipate the oddball move. Probably after the fact.

Jeff M. May 27, 2008 at 9:28 pm

And the peasants rejoice!!

cib May 27, 2008 at 9:30 pm

Okay, now the award for TOO MUCH INFORMATION (see the Guillen portion of the article)

Jeff May 27, 2008 at 9:37 pm

The Freep just wanted to make it clear which type of ‘roids were affecting Guillen.

Cabrera isn’t going back to 3B. You’ll see Inge in there when Guillen DHs, then Guillen at 3B when Larish DHs. And sometimes Cabrera as DH and Larish at 1B.

Sean C. in Illinois May 27, 2008 at 9:42 pm

“The Freep just wanted to make it clear which type of ‘roids were affecting Guillen”

Ta-dit…tsssssh.

(rimshot and cymbal)

Mike in CT May 27, 2008 at 9:50 pm

Let me be the first to say how much Sheff’s lovable demeanor will be missed.

Sean C. in Illinois May 27, 2008 at 9:53 pm

“In this game, you give 100 percent, but you don’t feel 100 percent every day.”

Sounds like the start of a commercial. The Tigers have been playing with a DH that probably should be lanced.

Neat lineup. Polanco number 3. I like it.

Sean C. in Illinois May 27, 2008 at 10:06 pm

The first 3 words of Billfer’s headline really threw me at first. I was sure it was a hoax.

Jeff M. May 27, 2008 at 10:08 pm

That was good Sean.

Kathy May 27, 2008 at 10:27 pm

Just read this and cib has already expressed my thoughts: TMI. I just cannot believe Leyland would get this detailed about something kinda private. Unbelievable!!!!

Sean C. in Illinois May 28, 2008 at 2:42 am

VOICEOVER:

“In this game, you give 100 percent, but you don’t feel 100 percent every day.”

CUT TO CARLOS GUILLEN IN A PEACEFUL, RUSTIC SETTING

“That’s why I reach for Smoky Jim’s Public Announcement Medicated Pads when I need cooling relief from the painful, burning, damn near maddening itch of… well, I guess he told you all about it already. And speaking of a##ses, my boss is going to have a new one when I’m done telling him how much I appreciate his going on and on in public about mine.’

CUT TO CARLOS AT THE BATTING CAGE (BACKGROUND MUSIC: BOB SEGER’S “THE FIRE DOWN BELOW”)

“Take it from me, folks – you can be a switch hitter, but don’t settle for being a switch sitter. Ask for Smoky Jim’s, and tell ‘em Carlos sent you.”

David May 28, 2008 at 8:32 am

Nearly 2 months after opening day when I said he should be DLed, he is DLed

Oh well =(

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post:

Switch to our mobile site