Miguel Cabrera in 150 words or less

by billfer on May 12, 2008 · 19 comments

in 2008 Season,Players

In case you hadn’t heard the Tigers traded for Miguel Cabrera this off season. They then signed him to a record contract. Cabrera then felt a lot of pressure to perform, but started to hit better when Jim Leyland told him to relax.

While he hit better his defense was a concern so the Tigers moved him over to first base. A position that is a natural fit for him, but Leyland is personally working with him to make sure it’s a smooth transition.

Meanwhile, his offense was coming around when Leyland said Cabrera could be even better if he focused on every at-bat. Since being challenged Cabrera has gone 161/235/161. The slump has columnists calling him a slug and a bust and Cabrera went on the record as missing his Marlins days. But fear not because it smells like he’s on the verge of breaking out of it.

{ 19 comments }

Mike R May 12, 2008 at 11:10 pm

Jim Leyland needs to stop talking.

JML May 12, 2008 at 11:21 pm

Apparently some people rise to a challenge while others crack or resent it. Or just don’t care.

cib May 12, 2008 at 11:29 pm

Uh, oh, we got the WRONG CABRERA! (See Indians triple play by A. Cabrera this evening – - – )

Don’t worry Tiff, just kidding, I’m getting to love Miggy at first and the bat will come around.

Dave BW May 12, 2008 at 11:30 pm

I don’t blame him for missing the Marlins. The booing at Comerica has been ridiculous since around August of last year.

Shane Temporarily in Toledo May 12, 2008 at 11:35 pm

His slump is the least of the Tigers concerns right now.

jason May 12, 2008 at 11:41 pm

Of course he misses them, the Marlins were the best team in the majors, when i looked this morning.

Vince in MN May 12, 2008 at 11:52 pm

Leyland will never shut up, he wouldn’t know what to do with himself (well, maybe smoke more.) Besides, isn’t that why they hired him – because he talks such a good game?

Chris May 13, 2008 at 12:14 am

Cabrera is a bust… He will be out of baseball in two years…..

Steve in Kzoo May 13, 2008 at 4:17 am

Thats a little harsh and rediculous Chris. The guy barely plays a month in AL and in the pressures of Detroit and you say he’s a bust. I will say he is a bust if he hits below or at mendoza for 3 years straight. Then I will say he is until then I will say he is a hall of famer in waiting and an all star calibur player.

Kyle J May 13, 2008 at 8:28 am

Chris, you’ve officially entered full-out troll territory.

T Smith May 13, 2008 at 9:33 am

Miguel Cabrera will be fine. He has classic Expectation Pressing Syndrome:

1. Huge contract = overly conscious of preformances
2. Team struggles = see # 1 above. One player, who’s supposed to be a the star, who’s paid to be the star, takes on too much.

As long as one guy, be it Cabrera, Ordonez, Sheff — whomever — assumes the subconscious role to save this team from itself, the team is doomed. Miguel Cabrera is not the problem. Starting pitching is the problem.

Dave BW May 13, 2008 at 11:25 am

“Chris, you’ve officially entered full-out troll territory.”

Agreed. Responding at this point would be counterproductive.

tiff May 13, 2008 at 11:59 am

he’ll come around. He loves baseball too much. And I’ve grown too accustomed to him in the home whites.

Sean C. in Illinois May 13, 2008 at 12:04 pm

tiff

Are you talking about Cabrera or Chris? (hehe)

greg May 13, 2008 at 12:21 pm

I find it difficult to take anyone who says Cabrera is a bust seriously. Actually, I think it might be impossible to take such comments seriously. Even Hall of Famers, most of them had slumps, even numerous slumps.

Long term, I’m not worried about him at all, in fact, I think with the adjustment to AL pitching, this shouldn’t be a surprise. I think things will pick up for him by the ASB once he gets more familiar with the pitchers.

Cabrera, who knows, maybe he is pressing. If he is, I don’t have it in me to believe its from the contract. I don’t see how having money guaranteed creates pressure. He could strike out 550 consecutive times for 8 straight years, he still gets his money. If that’s how you define pressure, man, I’d love to have that kind of pressure. I call that ultimate relaxation. In fact, if that doesn’t relax you, I’m not sure what would.

But I’m not worried about him. His numbers will be there.

I agree with Tsmith that the greater concern is pitching

Chris in Dallas May 13, 2008 at 12:34 pm

You can’t call anyone a bust after less than 40 games. It’s not like Cabrera has been *entirely* unproductive anyway. He’ll get locked in at some point and everyone will be singing his praises. The only thing I don’t like is that he seems a bit too Lasseiz-faire out there. He will not be confused with Pete Rose any time soon. Unless he develops a gambling problem and bad hair.

tiff May 13, 2008 at 2:03 pm

ha, Sean! I thought we had invoked the ignore-Chris-as-a-troll policy :)

tiff May 13, 2008 at 2:32 pm

someone just linked to the Boston Herald story about Miggy missing the Marlins… but in that story he talks about being booed in Detroit his first series home. Don’t be fickle, Detroit.

Chris in Dallas May 13, 2008 at 3:46 pm

Woah. I’d like to clarify that I am a different Chris than that Chris. I think Cabrera will be out of baseball by Memorial Day. (JK :) )

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post:

Switch to our mobile site