PREGAME: First of all Memorial Day wishes go out to everyone. And for those of you who are veterans or are currently serving…Thank You for all you do.
The Tigers head west for 9 games starting off with the Angels. Maybe the schedule makers did the Tigers a small favor. The Angels were in Chicago for Sunday Night Baseball last night so they probably got in about 5 hours after the Tigers did last night.
As for the game itself, it will be Kenny Rogers against Jon Garland.
Garland has been pitching to contact as evidenced by the 14 strikeouts he’s amassed in 64.1 innings. But he’s been on a roll his last 4 starts with a 2.25 ERA in 28 innings of work with opponents only mustering a .543 OPS against.
Rogers has been the weak link the last 2 times through the rotation only making it through 9.1 innings in his last 2 starts combined while allowing 19 hits, 3 for home runs. He hasn’t faced the Angels since September 2006 when he pitched 7 innings of 4-hit, shut out ball.
DET @ LAA, Monday, May 26, 2008 Game Preview – Baseball-Reference.com
Game Time 9:05
POSTGAME: Why does this team hate us fans so?
- Garland who doesn’t strike out anyone fanned 5.
- Kenny Rogers was awesome going 7 strong innings. Now all the Tigers starters have ERAs under 6!
- Freddy Dolsi showed me something tonight. He fanned Vlad Guerrero which is impressive in its own right. But when everyone failed to call time and Torri Hunter alertly took 2nd base, and during the subsequent intentional walk Dolsi threw a ball away, he didn’t get rattled. His next 2 pitches were strikes, the 2nd resulting in a bouncer to first base.
- Carlos Guillen with 2 more errors, and some excellent at-bats.
- Gary Sheffield is out with an oblique/back thingy.
- Ryan Raburn fanned twice and popped out in his place.
- A 4 pitch walk is no way to end this game. Especially to someone who doesn’t really walk. Only one of the pitches was close, and to be fair the Tigers took a ton of close pitches that went as balls. I have no problem with the calls in that at-bat. You have to put it near the plate.
- The Tigers have 11 bases loaded walks now this year. They had 9 all of last year.