Programming note

by billfer on April 25, 2008 · 10 comments

in Site News

WDFNI’ll be on WDFN this morning at 10:35 this morning talking Tigers with host Sean Baligian. So if you’re in the Detroit area tune into 1130 AM. If you’re any place you can listen to the stream on WDFN.com. If you miss it the audio will be posted both here, and on the WDFN podcast page this afternoon.

UPDATE: Here’s the noise. Thanks as always to Sean for the opportunity.

{ 10 comments }

Adam April 25, 2008 at 11:00 am

I just caught the tail end, Billfer, but you sounded good. Good on ya.

Mike P. April 25, 2008 at 12:02 pm

I hope this stays a regular thing. You are one of the best guests that Sean has on.

cib April 25, 2008 at 1:24 pm

Amen Billfer, you should just take over the show -

tiff April 25, 2008 at 1:55 pm

Great stuff billfer!

David April 25, 2008 at 2:54 pm

Good stuff, I just have one bone to pick

“Once the ball is put in play, pitchers have really no control over where it goes” – if it is turned into an out

We could get really technical, but from what I’ve read in this Bill James and in the past

If a hitter hits ~ all grounders his BA should be ~ .200, all fly balls ~ .400 and all line drives ~ .800
And of course it varies by hitter, where their sweet spots are, what type of pitches they hit, what the situation is etc.

BUT, guys who can pitch on the corners ie soft tossers (Kenny Rogers, Tom Glavine, Jamie Moyer etc.), or keep the ball low/downward movement ie groundballers (Chien Ming Wang, Fausto Carmona, Brandon Webb etc.) or guys who have a combo of elite control, and elite stuff (ie Jake Peavy, Johan Santana) have control on where the ball goes

Hitters (exclusion Vlad/Yogi/Poli) on average punish mistakes – ie over the heart of the plate

Guys like Bonderman was pitching yesterday, Daniel Cabrera, Edwin Jackson, Dtrain b4 he got injured really do have no idea where the ball is going, due to a lack of control

Anyways I’m sure you know this, just something I thought I’d point out

I really wish that AM1270, or FM97.1 the ticket would offer to interview you weekly as well

I’ve always listen to them (even though most are lacking in brain function when it comes to the tigers – exclusion Caputo, he is really good IMO)

Never really listened to WDFN b4 you went on

Sean seems to be a much more laid back guy than Valente and therefore easier to talk to

rich April 25, 2008 at 3:25 pm

i’ve known sean 20 yrs,egad that makes me old lol.he’s the same he has always been on air or off,just a great guy to talk to.to me he’s about the best overall host but i’m biased.bilfer i had sent sean your weblog when i discovered it because i know his boy loves the tigers,i in fact make it my morning ritual.you sound great and your passion for the tigers is evident as is your knowledge.keep up the good work.btw anthony tomey is my employer,so i need to know my stuff when i talk with him.

Shirell April 25, 2008 at 10:16 pm

Bill ~

Sean referred to you as astute, and I can say I have always known you to be so. This whole endeavor of yours is a real phenom…you are a bone fide 21st century man. Don’t know how you do it all, when do you sleep?

As an aside, the Detroit Tigers and Briggs Stadium were the one and only passtime/entertainment venue I experienced as a child. Bleacher seats were the standard and only peanuts to sustain us through the game, but on occasion we got to sit behind the plate! Big thrill for my brother and myself!

Ray Narleski lived around the block from us, so I felt famous! Rocky Colavito (sp?) was my favorite Tiger, next to Al Kaline!! So, I know nothing of the sophistication of your weblog and your keen eye and mind for baseball, but I do know of the love of the sport and that can be our bond.
Love you always Bill and I am proud of you like another mother! Nice to hear your voice on the radio.
Shirell

Mike R April 25, 2008 at 11:31 pm

Loving this radio stuff, Bill. I’d like to hear a Tigers Bloggers like … roundtable to be recorded or something around the half way point and at the end of the year. That’d be awesome.

billfer April 25, 2008 at 11:31 pm

Thanks for the notes. Sean is great to talk to and he makes it very easy. I do better with the low-key conversational approach that both he and Jamie Samuelson use on their shows.

And Rich, is Tomey a good boss?

Sean McDonnell April 26, 2008 at 8:45 am

For a guy who spent more time in calculus playing “mental bowling” instead of paying attention, Bill’s pretty impressive.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post:

Switch to our mobile site