links for 2008-04-30

1. Chris

April 30, 2008 at 11:11 am

Sending Miner down to Toledo probably makes the most sense. One thing in favor of that is that Miner could and should be groomed to become an emergency starter.

The only thing about losing Miner is that he has been pitching better lately and he does fill the much needed role of long relief (when he isn’t getting hammered). And based on the really poor performance of the starting rotation on this team so far, I think the Tigers may need to keep an effective mop-up guy on the roster.

I wonder about the idea of going to a 13 pitcher roster by adding Cruceta while keeping Miner. I know it greatly weakens our position player reserves, but I think that may be a lesser problem then having a bullpen over worked to the point where this team is getting creamed.

2. Kyle J

April 30, 2008 at 11:20 am

Re: The Samuelson piece.

I can Samuelson’s perspective to a certain extent. But Leyland has also shown a willingness to go with young guys when other might not have: Verlander, Miller, Maybin. You can argue riding out veterans makes sense, since you have a track record to base expectations on.

Should also keep in mind that Miner pitched very, very well when he was first called up as a starter, but eventually fell off. I’d still lean toward finding a way to keep Galarraga in the rotation, but who do you bump? Hopefully, they make sure Willis is really ready, both physically and mentally, when they bring him back.

3. Eric Cioe

April 30, 2008 at 12:39 pm

Chris-

The ‘much needed’ role of long relief? What are you talking about? Lopez can go 4 innings in a pinch. Grilli has a rubber arm. That’s two guys you can count on for multiple innings. I’m sure both of the lefties would go out there for 2 innings if Leyland needed them to eat innings. Cruceta can probably pitch 2 innings.

You don’t keep a not-as-good reliever on the team because he can eat some more innings, especially when there are others on the staff that can fill that role.

4. Ken from Cincinnati

April 30, 2008 at 12:40 pm

Have there ever been instances of teams moving to a 6 pitcher rotation? I’m not sure I’m an advocate of that, but the extra rest certainly wouldn’t hurt a rotation that doesn’t seem to have the stamina or velocity that they once had.

5. tiff

April 30, 2008 at 1:43 pm

Love Curtis’ recognition of the fans, and it’s a pleasure to have him in our city.

6. Eric Cioe

April 30, 2008 at 2:34 pm

Ken,

Why would you go to a 6 man rotation? Everyone is used to having 4 days of rest between starts. I don’t think that throwing less often is going to make anyone any better. If their velocity was on a downward trend start after start, I could see it. But it’s the opposite.

7. yak

April 30, 2008 at 5:33 pm

Grilli gets traded…… Grilli gets traded……. Rejoice……..Rejoice.

8. Brenden

April 30, 2008 at 5:53 pm

That trade was amazingly unexpected. He was pitching better, but who knows how long that would have lasted.

9. Andrew

April 30, 2008 at 5:57 pm

What did we get for him – a box of pencils?