Game 20: Blue Jays at Tigers

by billfer on April 21, 2008 · 88 comments

in 2008 Season,Game Post

PREGAME Armando Galarraga takes on Shawn Marcum as the Tigers look for their first matinee win of the season.

Marcum has been the Jays best pitcher this season with 20 K’s and only 5 walks in 20.2 innings.

Galarraga has been the Tigers best pitcher this season with 6 K’s and no walks in 6.2 innings.

DET @ TOR, Monday, April 21, 2008 Game Preview – Baseball-Reference.com

Game Time 12:37

PREGAME
I was listening to Danny Knobler on WDFN this afternoon and he was talking about how the highs and lows have become so much more pronounced because of the 0-7 start. It’s a pretty astute observation. The Tigers today salvaged a split of the series and a 3-3 road trip which is nothing to sneeze at. Yet the losses of the last two days were such a downer it hardly felt satisfying.

Still, going into the weekend I had said I’d be happy with a split so who am I to complain? The Tigers finally capitalized on walks and miscues to take an early lead which was more than enough for Armando Galarraga. He wasn’t quite as efficient as his 1st start. Only 54% of his pitches went for strikes and he walked 4. Still, he pitched out of his self inflicted jams so there was no damage.

Pudge Rodriguez led off the offensive attack from the 2-hole on a day when Jim Leyland challenged his big boys to step up. But he’s likely to be dropped in the order as the news on Placido Polanco’s back was encouraging and Polanco could return to the lineup tomorrow.

Tigers 5, Blue Jays 1

{ 88 comments }

Brian P April 21, 2008 at 12:29 pm

I’m sick of Pudge and Jones batting above Renteria. It’s nonsense. Galarraga is going to need another spectacular outing for us to squeak out a .500 road trip.

Kevin in Austin April 21, 2008 at 12:46 pm

You guys see those stats on the TV broadcast? 15 walks in 3 games and only one run off of those walks…

Kevin in Austin April 21, 2008 at 12:48 pm

Come on Maggs, just one first inning run…

Kevin in Austin April 21, 2008 at 1:04 pm

Should have sent Cabrera there…

Chris April 21, 2008 at 1:06 pm

Can we have an entire game with the lead for once? That’d be great.

tiff April 21, 2008 at 1:10 pm

Okay I just tuned in and it’s 4-0. Should I tune out?

Kevin in Austin April 21, 2008 at 1:12 pm

A HR here would be such sweet icing.

Dave T. April 21, 2008 at 1:13 pm

I wonder if the ‘regular’ starters get peeved that this ‘rookie’ gets all the run support?

Hmmm April 21, 2008 at 1:21 pm

They shouldn’t considering Galarraga is the only one that can pitch a decent game.

Tbone April 21, 2008 at 1:24 pm

Nice start so far for Gallaraga and the offense.

charlie April 21, 2008 at 1:25 pm

i’m pulling for armando as much as for the tigers…looks great so far.

Dave T. April 21, 2008 at 1:25 pm

Yeah I guess I never thought of that, but couldn’t you say they would be able to relax and pitch better if they knew the offense was behind them?

Sorry I meant to say offence as the game is in Toronto

charlie April 21, 2008 at 1:29 pm

“I want him as a starter and so does everyone else, including him, and that is what we are working toward and we need him there now,” Steinbrenner told the Times. “There is no question about it, you don’t have a guy with a 100-mile-per-hour fastball and keep him as a setup guy. You just don’t do that. You have to be an idiot to do that.”

this is hank steinbrenner talking about joba. i still wonder about zumaya as a starter (if he is ever healthy again).

Mike in CT April 21, 2008 at 1:31 pm

i like galaraga already. he’s barely had any time under Chuck ‘Don’t Throw Strikes’ Hernandez, which is a good thing.

tiff April 21, 2008 at 1:31 pm

if he only wants joba to pitch for a few years, yea start him. I can’t imagine a human arm could sustain throwing 100+ pitches every 4 or 5 days.

Dave T. April 21, 2008 at 1:35 pm

Wouldn’t it be better to have 4-5 days between 100+ fastaballs than 24 hours?

tiff April 21, 2008 at 1:41 pm

24 hours for 1 inning of work, though.

I don’t know, maybe it’s just me? It makes sense. Zumaya is practically Mr. Glass as a setup man, how could he be a starter?

Slashpyne April 21, 2008 at 1:42 pm

Tiff- see Nolan Ryan, HOF

scotsw April 21, 2008 at 1:43 pm

If a guy can hit 100 and has 3-4 pitches, think about starting him. If a guy throws 103 and has 2 pitches, he’s a set-up guy (Zumaya).

To be a starter, Zumaya has to totally change his game. Not saying he can’t do it, but you KNOW he’s capable of throwing 25 pitches every other day.

Galarraga is looking very, very good. Nice movement and location. Throwing strikes and letting his teammates help him get outs.

Mike in CT April 21, 2008 at 1:44 pm

Call me crazy, but from his look on the mound and slow, deliberate delivery, Galaraga reminds me of Chein-Ming Wang. Obviously he doesn’t have the turbo sinker.

Slashpyne April 21, 2008 at 1:45 pm

Tiff,
My response sounds a bit harsh-sorry, I didn’t mean it to be!

Tbone April 21, 2008 at 1:53 pm

Steinbrenner kills me. Always nice to know the Boss is behind you, especially so early in the season.

I always felt that Joba and ZuZu were born to be closers. They are both intimidating in ability and appearance. As it stands now, Joba’s dealing for the Yankees while Joel is busy trying to nail “Through the Fire and the Flames” on GH3.

Sigh.

tiff April 21, 2008 at 1:53 pm

haha no worries! I stand corrected, anyway.

Dave T. April 21, 2008 at 1:59 pm

Any truth to the rumor zuzu hurt his shoulder falling upside down off of a keg?

Hmmm April 21, 2008 at 2:02 pm

Thats a nasty slider.

jason April 21, 2008 at 2:03 pm

Also, look at Randy Johnson and Roger Clemens, they were hard throwers. Roger may have had the benefit of some “B12″, however.

EDIT: There are just as many names that threw hard and never amounted to anything. You can start right in the tigers organization for some. Matt Anderson is the one that I think of first. I still have that guy’s autograph.

charlie April 21, 2008 at 2:04 pm

galarraga just got himself out of a hole…nice job through four

jason April 21, 2008 at 2:05 pm

“Any truth to the rumor zuzu hurt his shoulder falling upside down off of a keg?”

Ha Ha Ha! I had to laugh when I pictured this in my head.

I have a feeling we will never know the truth.

Adam April 21, 2008 at 2:05 pm

Can we call Galarraga “Neo”?

Sure is dodging some bullets.

Tbone April 21, 2008 at 2:14 pm

I believe every ZuZu rumor I read.

Dirt Bikes, keggers, video games, it’s all true!

tiff April 21, 2008 at 2:16 pm

I think billfer posted some pictures where Zuzu (sidenote is that what we’re calling him?) was doing a kegstand and playing Guitar Hero, but no date on when those pictures were taken.

tiff April 21, 2008 at 2:17 pm

(a link to pictures, not the pictures themselves)

scotsw April 21, 2008 at 2:18 pm

Watching Ingey turn that doubleplay, I thought of how quick he got rid of that ball… Cabrera is a hell of a hitter, but man oh man is there a difference playing the corner.

Gallaraga’s still looking pretty good — not wilting when he puts a couple guys on base.

cib April 21, 2008 at 2:20 pm

scotsw I can’t tell you how many times this year I have mumbled under my breath, through my tears: “Brandon would have made that play”

tiff April 21, 2008 at 2:20 pm

These Renteria home runs are a bonus!

Adam April 21, 2008 at 2:21 pm

Grrr “Uncanny Ability.”

Ken from Cincinnati April 21, 2008 at 2:22 pm

Any truth to the rumor that ZuZu injured his shoulder when he unwisely picked a fight at the bar with an Australian soccer player?

cib April 21, 2008 at 2:23 pm

I’ll say it again, we’ve got to send scouts to Venezuela and find more members of the Galarraga family. Brothers, cousins, heck, even sisters! I envision an all-Galarraga rotation.

Adam April 21, 2008 at 2:24 pm

On the three Renteria home-run at-bats, he’s seen a total of four pitches.

scotsw April 21, 2008 at 2:24 pm

Cabrera: Nice arm, good reach. But none of the hand quickness or agility. I’m sure he’s got fair speed over distance, but not the best first step. Looks like a good left fielder to me.

Inge: No shortcomings as a 3B, really.

Somebody explain to me how Jones in left and Cabrera at 3rd is better for the Tigers than Cabrera in left and Inge at 3rd.

Greg April 21, 2008 at 2:27 pm

Remember in ’06 when Maroth went down? Zach Miner took his spot in the rotation and, despite low expectations (I remember saying “who the hell is this?”) was great for 3+ months.

Galarraga is this year’s Zach Miner.

Conversely, it’s looking like Zach Miner is this year’s Jose Mesa.

scotsw April 21, 2008 at 2:27 pm

I’ll add that Cabrera has always looked more at home at first than at third, too. He’s actually looked a lot better there than Guillen.

Tbone April 21, 2008 at 2:30 pm

Ken:

True!

Slashpyne April 21, 2008 at 2:32 pm

Scotsw,
I with you Cab in left and Inge at 3B. Jones in Pawtucket.

I heard Zumaya injured his shoulder when on a secret mission to Afganistan searching for Osama bin Ladin…..

Adam April 21, 2008 at 2:33 pm

Inge won’t bat .220 again this year, if we keep him at 3B full time.

Why? Uh, because he didn’t start the year in an 0-20something slump that got into his head.

I’m gonna go with .260/.265 with 400+ABs. Not bad for a 3B.

Jones, however, I don’t see breaking the Mendoza line. Therefore, SOMEONE has to play left. Uh. Miggy.

Tbone April 21, 2008 at 2:33 pm

I heard Zumaya was seen making out with Britney Spears at Shooters Bar in Fraser…

Steve in Kzoo April 21, 2008 at 2:35 pm

LOL Scotsw,

You want someone who is slow, in LF we need a good defensemen out there not just somebody we dont want at 3B. He is too slow and would be a god aweful LFer. He looks great at 1B give him some time, and he will be good since this is the first time he has ever EVER played 1B. He needs time to adjust to the position. He looks like a natural.

Talking about naturals, Galarraga looks like a natural in there right now. nice 5.1IP. Good game Galarraga, better then I can say for the other pitchers in the rotation god……..

Adam April 21, 2008 at 2:35 pm

Uh…why isn’t ‘Raga pitching the 6th?

JK. Good enough for another win, ‘Raga?

Andrew April 21, 2008 at 2:36 pm

Hmm, is this a bit early to be pulling Armando?

scotsw April 21, 2008 at 2:36 pm

Let’s have a round of applause for Galarraga… Too bad he couldn’t go 6, and get the “quality start.”

If Leyland wants guys to go deeper into games, uh, he has to leave them in.

Wasn’t quite as sharp as last time, but pitched pretty well and painted the corners.

scotsw April 21, 2008 at 2:37 pm

What the heck was that pitch? the UFO?

Kathy April 21, 2008 at 2:38 pm

I could care less about Brandon. He’s a great defensive 3rd baseman. I can’t tell you how many times over the years I’ve called him every name in the book while he stands at homeplate check swinging, k’ing or standing there like a house by the side of the road and watching it go by.

Tbone April 21, 2008 at 2:40 pm

Hmmmm…pitch count was at 81, I thought he had one more inning in him. Bullpen by committee is the call apparently.

charlie April 21, 2008 at 2:49 pm

um…why not clete thomas in left ( he is still hitting over 300 and has good range)…dh/first between cabrera and guillen? thames can back them all up

Adam April 21, 2008 at 3:02 pm

GUILLEN IN LEFT!

Mark in Chicago April 21, 2008 at 3:05 pm

ok, I’m at work and can’t watch the game. Guillen is in left? Galarraga pulled after 85 pitches? Do I have all this correct? Leyland WTF?

Adam April 21, 2008 at 3:08 pm

Lol. No, everyone’s just saying “Let’s put ____ in left.” I voted Guillen, since everyone forgets about him.

tiff April 21, 2008 at 3:10 pm

Dan and Jim said before the game started that the Tigers have the least number of quality starts in the MLB at 2. The next fewest by a team was 8.

Today would’ve been a good day to get the 3rd. But Rapada/Lopez works too.

Kathy April 21, 2008 at 3:11 pm

Bautista off to a rough start. Let’s hope he settles in.

Dave T. April 21, 2008 at 3:19 pm

I wonder if the tigers have been ‘working with the hitting coach’ all of our hits are up the middle and the 2 extra base hits were in the left center power alley

charlie April 21, 2008 at 3:19 pm

bautista 6 strikes, 13 balls…i hope he is not coming apart at the seams

charlie April 21, 2008 at 3:23 pm

good job denny.
all the talk about the pen,always about the pen…that’s not the problem of the day, even miner was good in his last outing. if/when cruceta, zoom, rodney get back we will be trading relievers for starters.

Dave T. April 21, 2008 at 3:24 pm

Bautista didn’t give up a run, they say T. Jones has taken him under his wing, taught him the ‘art of pitching’ and how to get more face time on TV, by unnecessarily extending your time on the mound.

Mark in Chicago April 21, 2008 at 3:26 pm

OK, phew, thanks for clearing that up Adam. I was worried, Leyland lost his mind and put the one guy that can’t run in the outfield.

Looks like Bautista had a rough time in the 8th. It’s hard to criticize too much, he’s been good so far this year.

Let’s get Jones some work in the 9th and come home with a split on the road trip.

Tbone April 21, 2008 at 3:39 pm

Over/Under on # of baserunners TJ puts on = 2

Tbone April 21, 2008 at 3:40 pm

And there’s one…

Mark in Chicago April 21, 2008 at 3:42 pm

Tbone-

I’ll take the under. $500?

tiff April 21, 2008 at 3:43 pm

look ma! a game that featured pitching and timely hitting and some defense!

Mike in CT April 21, 2008 at 3:45 pm

good, solid win. let’s just hope they don’t turn Vicente Padilla into Walter Johnson tomorrow night.

Kathy April 21, 2008 at 3:45 pm

Pudge..player of the game!

Mark in Chicago April 21, 2008 at 3:47 pm

Our team ERA is now 5.45, which is no longer last in MLB thanks to the Cubs putting up 50 on the Pirates over the weekend. We have still allowed more walks than any other staff, however and have a .790 OPS against. So it’s not like we’re good or anything.

Chris April 21, 2008 at 3:47 pm

Holy cow!!! I just cought up with the game on my lunch (here in Venice beach, CA) and what a game by Galarraga. So far, he’s our ace. And way to go Pudge.. I’m pretty pleased to see that we got a split

Andrew April 21, 2008 at 3:51 pm

No, we’re no where near good (yet). I like how the bullpen has come together (for the most part). The hitting still needs to be consistent.

The biggest issue is our starting pitching. They’ve been way worse than anyone could have dreamed (in their nightmares).

Nice to head home from a road trip with a ‘W’

Ryan April 21, 2008 at 3:56 pm

I’ve got it!
Zumaya in left!
Jacque Jones in the bullpen!
Carlos Guillen for state Senate!

Mark in Chicago April 21, 2008 at 3:56 pm

I just came across the following on mlb.com:

Willis’ return would be a major boost for a Tigers starting rotation that has fallen on tough times. Heading into the beginning of the season, the starting staff was supposed to be one of Detroit’s strengths…

I don’t even know where to begin correcting that paragraph.

Chris April 21, 2008 at 4:01 pm

What happens if Armando Galarraga keeps pitching well and Willis is healthy but still has control issues?

Steve in Kzoo April 21, 2008 at 4:10 pm

Its ok Chris because JV or Bondo or Nate will go on the DL for tired arm lol

Mark in Chicago April 21, 2008 at 4:12 pm

Chris,

Good question. Knowing Leyland, Galarraga goes back to Toledo and Willis goes into the rotation until somebody else has to miss a start. That’s my guess anyway. Willis is still at least a week away from returning, which will give Armando another start. He’s been terrific so far, but let’s see how he does once teams get a scouting report on him.

Adam April 21, 2008 at 8:12 pm

We need to beat up on the Rangers this homestand. Verlander needs to step it up.

Rod and Mario were saying he’s going to try throwing from a higher arm slot, which should make him pitch faster.

Whatever.

Kevin in Austin April 21, 2008 at 9:12 pm

Good call Adam, let’s talk about the Rangers. To say they are struggling would be a mighty compliment. Anything less than 2/3 would be a disaster. We’ve got our 1-3 going, and we’ll miss Millwood.

tiff April 21, 2008 at 9:18 pm

it would be nice if we could take advantage of another team’s slump…

Joey C. April 21, 2008 at 9:40 pm

Hey can we go to a one man rotation?

Steve in Kzoo April 21, 2008 at 10:23 pm

Well it doesnt matter if the Rangers are slumping, they are HITTING and we need to win with high scoring, can we do that? We should be able. Will we sweep-no, will we win series – should. will we lose series-possible. it depends on if the offense steps up along with JV being an ACE.

Pimpbot 5000 April 21, 2008 at 11:10 pm

We should win But forgive me don’t we have the SAME record as the Rangers, God i hope Granderson lights a fire under these guys,

Pimpbot 5000 April 21, 2008 at 11:16 pm

Also Remember how every one was saying that we have to get quality starts from the rotation to save the bullpen for the second half, Every thing i have read says we have enough guys coming up from rehab,passport trouble, etc to just replace them when they get tired. replace the starters in the forth let the pen win games? Whatta think :)

Steve in Kzoo April 22, 2008 at 12:24 am

Its a nice short term plan, but it cant keep on going on all season like this the guys in the bullpen WILL get tired. And then its a slippery slope.

ron April 22, 2008 at 2:07 am

I like what Leyland said about the big boys and himself taking responsibility. Watch the Tigers roar now.

cib April 22, 2008 at 8:36 am

Not sure if anyone is still looking at the postings from yesterday’s game but I have an extra seat for Friday night’s game, free to a fellow blogger. cindib@comcast.net

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post:

Switch to our mobile site