Spring Training Game 1: Mets at Tigers

by billfer on February 27, 2008 · 21 comments

in 2008 Season,Game Post,Spring Training

PREGAME: I’m not expecting another 17 runs, but we’ll see what the Tigers lineup can put up against Mike Pelfrey. The Tigers are going with all their regulars save for Gary Sheffield who is busy with that Scott Boras nonsense. Timo Perez will DH in his stead and bat third. Danny Knobler has the lineup, and Jacque Jones is batting 9th with Renteria 7th.

The Tigers send out Jeremy Bonderman.

Game Time 1:05. This one’s on the radio so we can listen along.

POSTGAME: The Tigers prevailed 4-2, but it was a matter of the Tigers bench and minor leaguers knocking off their Mets counterparts. Jeremy Bonderman gave up a run in each of the first two innings. However he was pleased with his performance because there was no pain, and he wasn’t using his trademark slider at all.

The Tigers regular lineup only mustered an infield single. But Marcus Thames, Brandon Inge, and Mike Hessman all contributed to a 7th inning rally.

The Tigers bullpen allowed only 2 hits and a walk over 7 innings.

{ 21 comments }

Sam February 27, 2008 at 12:55 pm

2 lefties and the whole lineup (Jones – Granderson) and Leyland is going to bat them back-to-back???

I really don’t get him sometimes!!

-Sam

Eric Cioe February 27, 2008 at 1:24 pm

Two hits, one run, and no outs. Trade Bondo!

(This post is a joke)

Adam February 27, 2008 at 1:24 pm

Wasn’t Timo Perez left handed? Anyway. I just bought the one month subscription to MLB.TV so I could listen to this game.

Only 14.95 a month…pretty cheap.

Eric Cioe February 27, 2008 at 1:30 pm

The box score on MLB.com has the score tied at 1 after one inning, but the Tigers were retired in order in the first. How is it that a team can be retired in order and also score a run?

EDIT – Ah, they seem to have fixed it. But Bondo let in another run, and hasn’t struck out a guy yet. I wonder if Chuck told him not to use his slider yet? In the video of Chuck, Kenny, Bondo and Nate, Chuck wanted them all to focus on fastball (4-seamer), sinker (2-seamer), changeup. Bang, bang, bang, changeup. He said that Bondo and Nate could “get the sliders going” closer to the start of the season. Hm.

Kurt February 27, 2008 at 1:38 pm

Probably gametracker kinks to be worked out.

Kevin in Austin February 27, 2008 at 1:48 pm

I’d love to see a pitch by pitch on Bondo here. I realize that it would be ridiculous to make any conclusions based on the the second spring training game, but isn’t it ridiculous that I’m even posting on the second spring training game and that you guys are reading?

Kevin in Austin February 27, 2008 at 1:49 pm

Adam – can you listen? I thought that it didn’t start until March 1?

Kevin in Austin February 27, 2008 at 1:49 pm

Ahh, yes you can. Nice. I wonder if it’s on XM as well.

David February 27, 2008 at 3:22 pm

Hmm

Inge had a HR yesterday and a RBI and BB today

Yet a fielding error in CF

Wish I was in Flordia

On a side note – anything to take from Bondos shotty start?

From what I’ve seen in past years pitchers are really trying to use their developing pitches

Maybe he threw exclusively changeups =P ?

Chris in Dallas February 27, 2008 at 3:31 pm

Just thought I’d pass along a tidbit to y’all. Per Jayson Stark’s ESPN blog, Sheffield will bat 3rd, Cabrera 5th this season with Ordonez continuing to hit cleanup. Not sure if you guys had seen that yet…

(subscription only)

charlie February 27, 2008 at 3:54 pm

the good guys won 4-2.

Joey the K in Portland OR February 27, 2008 at 4:39 pm

In Neifi news, the Rox backed out of giving him a minor league contract. Poor little guy. hahaha

A great memory from Lakeland last spring was Neifi hitting a patented weak pop-up and Tiger fan screaming ‘Neifi, you are HORRIBLE!!!!’ Then the fans laughing and cheering. Good times, wish I was there!

Dave BW February 27, 2008 at 5:46 pm

David, you’re actually kind of close. Bondo wasn’t using his slider today, and I imagine his weak changeup is more like a slow fastball than anything else. Hence the large number of hits and lack of strikeouts.

fordfieldrow2 February 27, 2008 at 9:07 pm

Bondo up to his old self. Beware – I hope Mr. D has a backup plan cuz I don’t think Bondo can get the job done.

fordfieldrow2.blogspot.com

Kathy February 27, 2008 at 10:58 pm

fordfieldrow2, you may have a point there!

Brian P February 28, 2008 at 12:20 am

You can’t learn anything about Bonderman from his first spring training game if he was only throwing fast balls. Presumably, as soon as the Mets hitters picked up on this, they could sit on a fastball in their desired location. Frankly, I’m surprised they didn’t score more because of this.

The relievers, who aren’t totally secured a job like Bonderman, were likely using all of their pitches.

Keith in IA February 28, 2008 at 3:21 am

Remember this date in November when the awards are being handed out and Mr. Justin Verlander is collecting his first Cy Young Award. Some guy here in Iowa tried to tell me that JB has better stuff than JV. Granted both guys are incredibly talented, but is there anyone here who thinks that Verlander will NOT win the Cy Young this year?

Chris in Dallas February 28, 2008 at 12:32 pm

I don’t think Verlander will win the CY. Can he? Yes. There’s so much competition in the AL, though. I’d take the field.

Eric Cioe February 28, 2008 at 12:51 pm

Well Chris, one big piece of competition in the AL just walked out the door. Seems to me the field before the season starts looks like this: Beckett (whose last two years weren’t as good as Verlander’s last two years), Sabathia (one wonders whether or not pitching 256 total innings this year will have an effect on him), Lackey (who probably had the best year of his life last year and still didn’t get recognized for it), maybe Kazmir, maybe Bedard, and maybe Carmona.

If Verlander makes 32+ starts next season, I think he’ll be in the race in a big way.

Dave BW February 28, 2008 at 3:57 pm

TWO big pieces of competition are gone — Haren’s in Arizona. I still wouldn’t bet on it, though. Too many freak variables at play.

Ryan February 28, 2008 at 6:28 pm

I’m calling the Cy for Felix Hernandez. I think he’s finally gonna become what everyone expects. If not Felix, I’ve got Roy Halladay. I think I would put JV third after those two. If you want a couple dark, dark horses, consider Liriano and Jon Garland. I can’t say why, but I think Angel Stadium is the perfect place for him. I don’t think Garland will be the AL’s best pitcher, but I can concieve of him having a 23-9 year with an ERA around 3.50, and getting the Cy solely for leading in victories by three or four.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post:

Switch to our mobile site