links for 2007-10-23

Posted by on October 23, 2007.

Categories: Links

1. How can NHL teams not be on the franchise ranking? Disgusting.

by Jason on Oct 23, 2007 at 11:57 am

2. I didn’t even think of Geoff Jenkins as an option, sounds like a pretty good fit to me.

by Matt on Oct 23, 2007 at 1:26 pm

3. That’s actually not a bad article by Henning. I haven’t taken a real close look at potential hole-fillers for the Tigers but I know Gleeman liked Jenkins for the Twins and there’s certainly worse advocates for a player to have in his corner.

by Matt in Toledo on Oct 23, 2007 at 1:40 pm

4. Jason, as popular as the NHL is in “Hockeytown,” – and I like hockey, too – the rest of the nation really doesn’t give a hoot. It’s basically a step above a minor league sport.
    The other of the “big three” are followed throughout the country and are worth – and generate – many time$ what the NHL is worth.
    Thanks for the link, Bilfer…interesting.

by Rings on Oct 23, 2007 at 2:37 pm

5. Jason may still have a point. I mean, hockey isn’t really that big nationwide maybe, but it is still a sport ESPN occasionally notices. Barry Melrose anyway. And all regions of the country have teams in the NHL, AHL and probably ECHL. So I’d say that it’s probably popular enough to still be in the big four and should be represented.

by Kurt on Oct 23, 2007 at 3:44 pm

6. Before I read the article, I figured if he didn’t include hockey, it was probably a good thing because he probably didn’t know enough about it to make a judgment.

But then I saw his system and realized there’s no judgments to be made and thought it was strange he didn’t include it. I wonder if he just didn’t know what to do with the point system hockey uses, which is different from the straight win-loss records of the other sports.

by Matt in Toledo on Oct 23, 2007 at 4:06 pm

7. I duno my list would look like this

Tigers
    my other fav mlb teams
    rest of mlb
    ————–
    football

————–
    every other sport

if he is going off of “wins” like he says MLB should be above everyone else anyways considering most teams that have been around for awhile have at least 8000 wins… ;)

seriously though rating baseball teams against basketball against football is silly enough without forgetting hockey and other team-sports not to mention tennis/golf =P

the great people at ESPN/Yahoo/SI etc. have enough trouble ranking players and doing their “power rankings” year-by-yeaer correctly now we are trying to go across sports?

Ugh. Can you say waste of time?

Yes it’s ironic that I wasted time saying all of this when you probably already know that.

by David on Oct 23, 2007 at 5:36 pm

8. Sad to read that Curtis Granderson isn’t using winter ball to at least learn how to drag bunt against left handers.

by BobS. on Oct 23, 2007 at 7:40 pm

9. Count me out on Geoff Jenkins unless he’s making drastically less then what he was in Milwaukee. I’m talking $3 million or less.

Solid article all around but nothing ground breaking.

by Mike R on Oct 23, 2007 at 9:40 pm

10. I think Jenkins would make a nice platoon partner for Thames, and is generally well regarded defensively. I don’t think you get him for $3 million, but $5-6 million for 1 to 2 years would be palatable.

by billfer on Oct 23, 2007 at 10:11 pm

11. I don’t think he’s worth $5-6 million but I agree, he’d be a solid platooner.

by Mike R on Oct 24, 2007 at 2:06 pm