Magglio Ordonez is Mr. August

by billfer on September 4, 2007 · 6 comments

in 2007 Season,Players

Magglio Ordonez was named player of the month for August as he finished first in RBI (31), tied for first with homers (10), and third with a .393 batting average. Considering that Gary Sheffield missed the bulk of the month either on the DL, or just being ineffective, it was a particularly impressive feat with the cast of characters in the #3 spot in the order. For the month Tigers 3 hole hitters combined for a 221/275/361 line making the 31 RBI remarkable to say the least.

Magg’s is the first Tiger to win the award since Pudge hit .500 in June 2004

{ 6 comments }

Chris M September 4, 2007 at 9:27 pm

For the season batting 3rd:

Sheffield – .278/.383/.498
Rest of team – .252/.288/.429

OPS+ vs. AL average of hitters batting 3rd:

Sheffield: OPS+ 110
Rest of team: OPS+ 70

Steve September 5, 2007 at 10:10 am

Great achievement by Maggs. With out him this year we may have been behind K/C. Lets hope they can put the foot on the gas and come up with a wild card spot by the end of the month. We have the talent ,,,,, but do we have the time

Steve

David September 5, 2007 at 1:16 pm

When Shef returns for thursdays finale against the chi sox I’d say we have to win 6/8 on the remaining homestand.

I think he and Kenny if both do what they are capable of doing will breath life into this team and we will start rolling.

I think the magic # for this team is 90-91 wins which means at the most they can only lose 7 more games out of the remaining 24.

17-7…

Bondlander and Robertson have looked good btw hopefully it continues.

freetz September 5, 2007 at 2:11 pm

Props to El Big Tilde. Seems like CW is 17-7 or bust, so no lollygagging, y’all.

Slashpyne September 5, 2007 at 2:20 pm

If there is any justice, he should be the AL MVP. I still have not recovered from Tram not winning in ’87

Kyle J September 5, 2007 at 4:07 pm

In 1990, I wrote a persuasive paper for my 10th grade English class on why Cecil Fielder should have won the AL MVP over Rickey Henderson. Sadly, I failed to save a copy of the paper, as it was (at least as I recall it) one of the finest written works I’ve ever produced.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post:

Switch to our mobile site