links for 2007-09-13

Posted by on September 13, 2007.

Categories: Links

1. Stolen base success rates are way up because emphasis is on offense, not defense. It is cyclic. What I find interesting is that stolen bases are way down compared to the 70s and 80s. Rickey Henderson, Tim Raines, Vince Coleman, where are you? In the 80s it seemed like the Astros and Cardinals were entire teams of lead off men. Nowadays there are hardly 5 in all of baseball.

by Coach Jim on Sep 13, 2007 at 1:30 pm

2. I don’t know why it took so long after the all-star break for Leyland to let Granderson run more.

And that’s an interesting article from Illitch. I said all season with last years attendance spike and this year being 3rd in the AL in attendance there’s no reason to not be spending money if we need someone.

by Mike R on Sep 13, 2007 at 4:12 pm

3. I’ve been all for adding more seats in Comerica ever since it opened. Only I don’t really care about the dugout. Figure out a way to put seats in the two football fields that currently comprise foul territory. I’m still steamed that there was absolutely no consideration given to the fans being used to being on top of the game at Tigers Stadium. The only nod to the old place was that damn flag in center. Forget the flag. Bring the fans closer to the game.

by Joey C. on Sep 14, 2007 at 12:37 am

4. I actually like the foul territory. Everything is geared towards the hitter so I think it’s refreshing to watch the Tigers play in a big ball park with big foul grounds.

by Mike R on Sep 14, 2007 at 1:23 am

5. Not having been to any other ballpark beside Comerica and only seeing other ballparks on TV, I have to agree with Mike R that the outfield is fine. I love seeing opposing OF’s run and scramble around out there and our guys, for the most part, make it look easy. Maybe more seats around the firt base and third base side would be good, but I know nothing about architecture, so don’t know if that is even feasible.

However, they desperately need new vendors and different menus. Different types of food. And it is Mowtown for chrissakes, how bout some different music and sound effects. I like still like the old timey stuff too, but theres plenty of room for improvement and innovation.

by Kathy on Sep 14, 2007 at 11:10 am

6. I agree with Kathy – you can predict what music is going to be play in each inning. Nothing wrong with mixing it up a little bit.

And more food options. Like a La Shish! And more beer options, like Leinenkeugel that they have at the Joe. I love that stuff.

As far as seats by the dugout – it doesn’t matter to me because they’ll be immediately snapped up by Corporate players and I’ll never get to sit in them. Boo.

I’d like more seats by the Pepsi porch… it seems like every time I go to the game those are roped off for a private party.

by tiff on Sep 14, 2007 at 11:18 am