Game 160: Tigers at White Sox

PREGAME: Tonight it will be Javier Vasquez taking on Kenny Rogers.

Vasquez has been on a mission as of late with 33 K’s, and only 3 walk in his last 21 1/3 innings pitched.

Rogers has been solid since returning from the disabled list compiling a 2.96 ERA in 4 September starts. He’s fanned 18 and walked 7 over that span.

Game Time 8:11
DET @ CHW, Friday, September 28, 2007 Game Preview – Baseball-Reference.com

Posted by on September 28, 2007.

Tags: ,

Categories: 2007 Season, Game Post

1. Hey, it’s in the news. Carlos is going to first and we are getting a new SS.

by Kathy on Sep 28, 2007 at 6:34 pm

2. YES!

AROD?

:-)

by Greg on Sep 28, 2007 at 6:42 pm

3. Funny that it should be announced so soon – what’s up, whaddya think?
    Gotta go to a birthday party – hope to be back before the end of the game and chat a bit. GO MAGGS!!!!!

by cib on Sep 28, 2007 at 7:01 pm

4. Maybe just to let everyone know that Casey won’t be our starting first baseman next year, cib. Have no idea who they might be interested in but it certainly is food for thought for the upcoming hot-stove season.

Golly, Grandy hit by a ball already. Gotta go.

by Kathy on Sep 28, 2007 at 8:12 pm

5. Does anyone really believe Kenny won’t be back next year? I just can’t stand thinking about this is his last start.

by Kathy on Sep 28, 2007 at 8:23 pm

6. And it’s kinda sad to watch Sean play knowing he probably won’t be back. I wish there was a way they could sign him but he’s a FA and will probably get a contract somewhere else.

by Kathy on Sep 28, 2007 at 8:36 pm

7. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Sean back in Cinci.

As for kenny, I agree with you Kathy. There is no chance whatsoever he won’t be back. He said he wants to be back. Leyland has said he wants him back.

by Eric Jackson on Sep 28, 2007 at 9:01 pm

8. He sure is having a tough outing tonight. They’ve got Grilli warming up.

by Kathy on Sep 28, 2007 at 9:04 pm

9. Magglio hittin .361.

by Kathy on Sep 28, 2007 at 9:58 pm

10. I’d like Kenny back. Set him as the opening day starter to take some pressure off of Verlander (though we all know JV will be the #1). Tigers are something linke 34-14 in his Kenny’s over the last few years. Just having him around is worth it.

What would you pay to get ARod in here? Do you think it’s even a possibility? It’s fun to think about, but I think I’d be upset if they spent that kind of money on one player.

by Kevin in Austin on Sep 28, 2007 at 9:59 pm

11. Not to change the subject, but the Sox are going to fight us tooth and nail during this series to keep themselves from finishing last in the division.

Honestly, I don’t think there’s a chance in H** that we’ll get A-Rod. Mostly because I think he’ll remain in NY. Maybe Sheff can talk him into it since they’re good friends. It will probably be Renteria or Wilson. Maybe I’m wrong.

by Kathy on Sep 28, 2007 at 10:04 pm

12. Well, poo.

by Kathy on Sep 28, 2007 at 10:52 pm

13. Well, poo.

And that folks, sums up our feelings on the 2007 season.

by Andrew on Sep 28, 2007 at 10:59 pm

14. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Sean back in Cinci.

Cincinnati doesn’t need him, they’ve got a kid, Joey Votto, who’s going to take over everyday there (should’ve been the everyday 1B since July, but they never made a move to deal away Hatteberg at all and Conine until late in the year).

I see no reason why Mike Illitch couldn’t make a reasonable offer. He’s going to get $30 million a year, i don’t doubt that. I see no reason between potentially adding a few hundred more seats, 2 years of sell-outs, and even if the Tigers fall to 3rd in the Division next year (possible, assuming Liriano comes back for the Twins with 75% of what he’s capable of, which will drastically improve that rotation) the fans should, and would, pour in to see A-Rod and Magglio, and Polanco, and Granderson play.

As for the guys that are possible to come back and not, here’s what I think will happen:
    Pudge: Pick up the option, unfortunately.
    Kenny Rogers: Will be back for a 1 year deal.
    Todd Jones: Will be back for 1 year deal with possible option for a 2nd year.
    Sean Casey: Nice guy, thanks for being chatty and the butt end of all the speed jokes, but please find a different team.

by Mike R on Sep 28, 2007 at 11:20 pm

15. I was just watching the Cubs’ division clinching celebration on WGN and the champagne spraying in the locker room made me think back to that afternoon in Kansas City when Detroit clinched a playoff birth.

Well, you can relive it, too. I made a youtube playlist you can watch here and reminisce of that day that feels like years ago already.

by Mike R on Sep 28, 2007 at 11:55 pm

16. Sean Casey, thanks for being so chatty and what a coincidence that your power started dropping off precipitously as MLB strengthened its steroid testing policy.

by Stephen on Sep 29, 2007 at 12:01 am

17. Thanks Mike R. I wonder if it will ever be that good again?

by Kathy on Sep 29, 2007 at 12:03 am

18. I really like Sean Casey, but he is a national League hitter and fits best in a National League line-up.
    I also really hope that Zumaya never becomes our closer. He is best used for killing rallies. He so intimidating when the opposite team has two runners in scoring position with one out and the Tigers are ahead by a run. Leyland come to the mound to take out the pitcher, Voodoo Child starts playing, Zumaya frantically sprints out of the bullpen, and the rally ends(generally).
    He comes out so pumped up and usually ends the others teams chances to win that, that I would hate to see him come out in a semi-calm 9th inning save situation.
    My sisters Finance, who is an Indians fan, says there is nothing more intimidating than Zumaya coming out in the 7th or the 8th to in essence to end the game.
    I think maybe Brydak would be better suited for the closers role, though I hate to lose him as a left handed specialists. Though I am not opposed to Jones coming back, it seems that he wants a two year deal that the Tigers are not willing to offer.

by Shane trapped in Athens, Ohio on Sep 29, 2007 at 1:58 am

19. The Guy on the Brew Crew is pretty good…also a FA

Byrdak and Seay have been very good in what they’ve done, keep em there, just like Zoom should come in to kill a rally in the 7th and do the 8th.

by David on Sep 29, 2007 at 2:56 am

20. Jones is awful, and will turn 40 at the start of the season.

We can, and should, do better.

by Tram Fan on Sep 29, 2007 at 3:13 am

21. Randolph and Leyland are twins separated at birth. Always politically correct, always professional, never losing their cool. They should go fishing together in the off season.

by ron on Sep 29, 2007 at 11:19 am