Game 128: Yankees at Tigers

PREGAME: The Tigers take another crack at Roger Clemens who they had no trouble hitting last week, they just had trouble scoring. The Tigers mustered 10 hits in 6 innings, but only 2 runs thanks to 8 strikeouts which all seemed to come with guys on base.

For the Tigers it will be Andrew Miller making his fast start since going on the DL on August 4th. Despite the great stuff, Miller struggles a little to put guys away and his lack of command can lead to hefty pitch counts. He hasn’t recorded an out after the 5th inning since July 6th.

I’ll be heading down to this game, and hopefully the result will be similar to when I saw Clemens pitch against the Tigers last year.

Who’s your Tiger tonight? I’m going out on a limb and going with Brandon Inge.

Game Time 7:05
NYY @ DET, Friday, August 24, 2007 Game Preview – Baseball-Reference.com

POSTGAME: You know you got your money’s worth when on the way home from a game you start to ponder where it ranks in terms of the greatest games you’ve ever witnessed live. When you’re doing at at 4:00am, you know it’s a special situation.

First things first, thanks to all of you for the awesome comments throughout the game last night. I was reading them on my Blackberry throughout the night and was amazed so many of us were toughing it out together.

On to the game, I made several good decisions last night. First, I had an unused ticket and was really debating taking my 6 year old son. I ended up not doing it, because while I love him to death and love going to games with him, this was the first time since Opening Day I had plans to go with my friends and I just didn’t want to be a dad that night. Second, we took a couple cars to the game because one friend had commitments in the morning and we didn’t know how late he’d want to stay. Worked out great with the one friend being able to leave at 8:30 when he recognized any baseball would be way late. So those staying were happy to be stayinig, and no one had to leave prematurely.

The theme for the night was pretty much, “there’s weird s*** happening tonight” and that held up throughout the game. Witness:

So there we were at 2:30 in the morning concocting the most improbable ways for the Tigers to pull this off. Like having the Tigers load the bases against Mariano Rivera and then have Inge come through. Well, that one got half way there, and only some bad luck kept it from coming through.

Still the crowd stayed, and sure it was whittled down after a while. After that 10th inning the numbers really dwindled and I said to the usher, this place looks like 2003 right now. But it sounded much louder. And at that point everyone had formed this big kind of friendship, the kind of friendship that can only come from staying at a ballpark until ridiculous hours of the morning as everyone individually questions their sanity for staying and yet being too afraid to leave and miss something. It was kind of like one of those West Coast Red Wing playoff games that goes into OT, and you think to yourself “I can’t quit now, I’ve made it this far.”

Fortunately for those who stayed, they got the pay off. After a nice walk by Polanco it looked like a hit and run sign was missed with Sean Casey up and Polanco was picked off. And the Tigers went from a runner on 1 out situation to a 2 out none on situation. As so often is the case, the next batter gets a single after the runner is wiped off the bases.

I was imploring Leyland to pinch run for Casey, figuring that a gapper would go to waste with Casey on the basepaths. Instead Leyland stuck with Casey who managed to go first to third with relative ease on a blooper. Setting the stage for the Carlos Guillen. When he hit it I didn’t know if it was gone. I just new it was well hit and I didn’t care if it were a homer, I just wanted it to get over Matsui’s head. When it landed on the roof of the bullpen it was euphoria, it was relief, it was “I get to go home now, but I’m not tired anymore,” it was so worth it all.

I know the above thoughts are incoherent, but I’m working on a couple hours of sleep right now. For the bullets:

I don’t know if this win will be the start of something or not. No matter how exciting last night was, the team could still very well be gassed tonight and have a hangover. Regardless, the hometown team gave the hometown fans a memory for a lifetime on a stormy August night. The nice thing is that because they won we can debate signature wins and such, instead of lamenting “why did they even start that game and do that to the fans.” Funny how one swing can totally change your feelings about an evening.

Posted by on August 24, 2007.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Categories: 2007 Season, Game Post

1. I’ll take a Miller for my Tiger tonight.

by Joe in Montgomery on Aug 24, 2007 at 4:38 pm

2. I will need several Millers if he doesn’t do well tonight!

by Chris in Nashville on Aug 24, 2007 at 4:56 pm

3. I’m going with Pudge. Pudge will walk tonight and have at least 1 RBI. No passed balls.

by Ken in Cincinnati on Aug 24, 2007 at 5:03 pm

4. I’m also going with me. I’ll down 15 beers, 5 shots, and have at least one lengthy conversation with a mediocre looking girl. No hangover.

by Ken in Cincinnati on Aug 24, 2007 at 5:05 pm

5. Enjoy the game Bilfer and don’t worry too much about the pitch counts – remember, they’re not that important. And while you are out on that limb, take Mr. Inge with you. Please.
    ;-)

by Vince in MN on Aug 24, 2007 at 5:08 pm

6. Ken, if you can pull all of that off….you will be my “Tiger” hero for sure!

by Chris in Nashville on Aug 24, 2007 at 5:14 pm

7. A few open ended questions for conversation starters. . . Who is the leader of this team? What is going on inside the locker room? Are things blowing up in there yet? Seems like every article I read has the same tone, that we’re a good team and things will turn around. All in a very calm tone, not worried, no need to change anything. Someone in that locker room (not Leyland) needs to light some serious fire under these guys, tell them to play with some passion.

by Joe in Montgomery on Aug 24, 2007 at 5:21 pm

8. brandon inge is definitely *not* my tiger tonight. he has slowly but surely eroded my confidence in him.

i’m going with maglio.

by tiger fan in DC on Aug 24, 2007 at 5:22 pm

9. Might see a game delay due to the stormy weather heading east towards Detroit. We had a quite a downpour about an hour ago and its still extremely cloudy.

by Kathy on Aug 24, 2007 at 5:23 pm

10. I think I’ve gotta go with Leyland. He’s gotta be well rested after the nap last night, so his moves should be better today. I see Casey and Maybin (assuming they play) coming through tonight on the field.

by NR on Aug 24, 2007 at 5:23 pm

11. Marcus Thames, of course.

by Kathy on Aug 24, 2007 at 5:25 pm

12. Sun just came out. Bet game won’t start until 8:00. We’ll see.

by Kathy on Aug 24, 2007 at 6:00 pm

13. My Tiger is Bob Wickman! He was DFA’d by the Braves. Let’s do the same to Grilli and swap bad relievers!

by Mike R on Aug 24, 2007 at 6:45 pm

14. I second that!

by NR on Aug 24, 2007 at 6:56 pm

15. Polly is my Tiger tonight!

by Joey the K on Aug 24, 2007 at 6:58 pm

16. I went to post this but since I put links in, it’s requiring moderation so it won’t post until when Billfer moderates it, which is after the game. So…

Also, don’t know if anyone wants to know this but I’ll post it anyways.

Baseball Prospectus’ Playoff Odds reports have us at the following percentages:

The Original odds forumla has us at 27.82% to win the division, 3.76% to win the Wildcard, 31.58% to make the playoffs.

The Pecota Adjusted odds have us at 26.28% to win the division, 3.99% to win the wildcard, 30.27 to make the playoffs.

The ELO version odds has us at 25.28% to win the division, 1.42 to win the wildcard, 26.70 to make the playoffs.

Let the optimism reign down. I need a win tonight.

by Mike R on Aug 24, 2007 at 7:05 pm

17. What is the word on the weather situation? When did Rod and Mario say that they’d be underway?

by grant on Aug 24, 2007 at 7:07 pm

18. Danny Knobler says that Thames is hitting 3rd since Casey wasn’t working out there.

Lineup:
    CF: Granderson
    2B: Polanco
    1B: Thames
    DH: Magglio
    SS: Guillen
    C: Pudge
    RF: Raburn
    3B: Inge
    LF: Maybin

by Mike R on Aug 24, 2007 at 7:21 pm

19. As posted earlier it will probably be around 8:00 or so, BTW, Rod isn’t feeling well and Mario and some other guy are doing the broadcast. Guess yesterday’s game was too much for him to take.

by Kathy on Aug 24, 2007 at 7:31 pm

20. Well, if they can’t get up for Roger Clemens and the Yankees, they have no business playing this game. I say this is the night that everything gets turned around. From now on all our starters turn into aces, the bullpen becomes unhittable, Maggs stays Maggs, Polly stays Polly, Guillen turns it up a notch, Thames hits a HR every other game, Granderson learns how to hit lefties, Casey hits another HR, Rodriguez takes a walk, and Inge even finds a way to contribute. Leyland unscrambles his brain and pushes all the right buttons, the Tigers win their last 35 games and cruise into the playoffs. How’s that for optimism?

by Vince in MN on Aug 24, 2007 at 7:55 pm

21. Watching on MLB Extra Innings. It looks like we’ll get the Yankee broadcast crew on the Extra Innings package instead of Mario and Rod Allen’s fill-in. I followed yesterday’s game on ESPN Gamecast at work. Let’s hope for a much better result tonight. My brother in MI went to the game yesterday. He watched Inge closely and said the guy is losing interest in playing. He said the Tigers were pull-happy hitter hitters and that Zum’s fastball did not get over 95. If the rains stops, we’ll find out a lot about the Tigers tonight.

by Paul in CA on Aug 24, 2007 at 8:05 pm

22. Mario just said he’s hopful the game will start shortly. It’s still raining lightly, however.

by Kathy on Aug 24, 2007 at 8:09 pm

23. Is it still raining?

by West Coast Tiger on Aug 24, 2007 at 8:10 pm

24. Kathy answered my question before I asked it.

by West Coast Tiger on Aug 24, 2007 at 8:11 pm

25. Raburn is my Tiger for tonight. Or tomorrow. Or whenever this game gets played…

by Tbone on Aug 24, 2007 at 8:29 pm

26. Rod must have been sickened by yesterday as much as we were.
    Still looks like it’s raining pretty hard. yankees broadcasters suggesting at least 30 minutes away.

by Stephen on Aug 24, 2007 at 8:31 pm

27. OK, the grounds crew is out on the field.

by Kathy on Aug 24, 2007 at 8:38 pm

28. It was raining sideways in Ferndale for a bit…jebus

by Jim on Aug 24, 2007 at 8:48 pm

29. Kathy is the grounds crew taking the tarps off or putting them back on? MLB Xtra Innings is not very good about updating the situation at all.

by West Coast Tiger on Aug 24, 2007 at 8:55 pm

30. Taking them off.

by Kathy on Aug 24, 2007 at 9:00 pm

31. The crowd that’s left is probably crocked. Course, Billfer wouldn’t do that. C’mon already.

by Kathy on Aug 24, 2007 at 9:09 pm

32. Mario says between 9:30 and 10:00. The tarps are off.

by Kathy on Aug 24, 2007 at 9:10 pm

33. Mario says the game will start sometime between 9:30 amd 10.

by Tbone on Aug 24, 2007 at 9:10 pm

34. Tarp is back on and it is sprinkling. Yankees are mulling in the dugout. No Tigers to be seen.

by billfer on Aug 24, 2007 at 9:32 pm

35. Looking at the radar, I don’t think they’re playing tonight.

DH tomorrow?

by Tbone on Aug 24, 2007 at 9:45 pm

36. At least the Tigers found a way not to lose tonight…(I’m feeling rather cynical)

by Cameron in Singapore on Aug 24, 2007 at 9:54 pm

37. At least the fans can have fun for a change!

by Kathy on Aug 24, 2007 at 9:57 pm

38. Any word?

by Jim on Aug 24, 2007 at 10:00 pm

39. “Oh my goodness! We got a natural disaster!”
    Crash Davis
    Bull Durham
    1988

by Paul in CA on Aug 24, 2007 at 10:08 pm

40. It would be a real shame to call this game and take it from the fans.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 24, 2007 at 10:10 pm

41. Any fans left there? ha ha

by Jim on Aug 24, 2007 at 10:23 pm

42. It hasn’t been raining for the last 10 minutes. The tarp is still on the field. I can’t believe they aren’t making a decision one way or another.

by billfer on Aug 24, 2007 at 10:25 pm

43. Certainly the team has bonded by now.

by Kathy on Aug 24, 2007 at 10:27 pm

44. Tarp is coming off now.

by billfer on Aug 24, 2007 at 10:28 pm

45. WXYT said 11:00pm start.

by Shane trapped in Athens, Ohio on Aug 24, 2007 at 10:30 pm

46. 1105 start time. I’m thinking we’re going to see a big strike zone tonight. Can’t wait for post game fireworks.

by billfer on Aug 24, 2007 at 10:30 pm

47. wowoo is there anyone left?

by Jim on Aug 24, 2007 at 10:34 pm

48. Paul in Ca had it right…….well played…I came home from an extended post work happy hour thinking I missed the game…and low and behold…I have a WHOLE LIVE GAME TO WATCH……we better win now

by Chris in Nashville on Aug 24, 2007 at 10:35 pm

49. Gotto be worst grounds crew i have ever seen

by Jack smiller on Aug 24, 2007 at 10:40 pm

50. I just started thinking….what was the last extended rain delay when playing the Yanks? After Game 1 of the ALDS….we were down 1-0, had lost 5 straight to blow the AL Central…….maybe this little rain delay while playing the Yankees can get us going again like it did then!

by Chris in Nashville on Aug 24, 2007 at 10:41 pm

51. CHris I was thinking the exact same thing!

by Jim on Aug 24, 2007 at 10:42 pm

52. Still quite a few fans here considering. I’d say 15k. Just spoke with an usher who said they can’t start an inning after 1AM. This is teetering on the ridiculous.

by billfer on Aug 24, 2007 at 10:43 pm

53. Where are you, Billfer. Wave at the camera, so we all can see you.
    Please!

by Kathy on Aug 24, 2007 at 10:44 pm

54. Great minds think alike Jim! If they can’t start an inning after 1AM, why the hell are they doing starting the game? Might as well play a DH tomorrow, they basically are now anyway.

by Chris in Nashville on Aug 24, 2007 at 10:55 pm

55. 4 hours of watching Jim Leyland, Dave Dombrowski, Kenny Rogers life stories. I’ve almost got them memorized.

by Kathy on Aug 24, 2007 at 10:56 pm

56. Now they’re showing Bondo’s story. and umm, umm, umm.

by Kathy on Aug 24, 2007 at 10:58 pm

57. K.C. just won. Tonight is our night!

by Shane trapped in Athens, Ohio on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:00 pm

58. And the futility of our offense shows…I wonder when was the last time we scored more than five runs in two consecutive games :\. This is about as bad as I’ve seen the Indians play recently, with opportunity after opportunity gone by the boards. Any time we got a runner on third base, the next batter immediately either popped the ball up or struck out on three straight pitches. I’ve never seen anything like this in my life…two months of baseball in which you average like 3 runs per game. I’m amazed we’re still even above .500.

by punisher2006 the indians fan on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:10 pm

59. Ouch. Clearly an out on the replay.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:10 pm

60. Stellar start to this game.

by Dylan on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:11 pm

61. Well, friends, my daughter and I went down there, stupidly I saw the clouds but did NOT go into the little burger pub on Woodward and Grand Circus at 6:40, no we went into the park and ended up having to stand WAY TOO CLOSE to lots of strange people for a very long time. (Hey Billfer was that you? LOL)
    Finally stayed long enough to get into our seats, thought maybe a 9:30 start would be reasonable, but then they re-covered the mound and it started to rain again and I just could not do it. Every Yankees series there is a monsoon on the night I have tickets. I think this is really unsafe for the players, and unfair to fans. They could have played two on Sunday or Monday.
    Kathy, I had to laugh, I was on the phone with my parents letting them know we were safe, and getting updates from them, and my mom told me that they were watching a “very interesting program about Dave Dombrowski!!”

by cib on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:11 pm

62. Maybe the Skipper should make a visit to the 3rd base.

by Kathy on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:14 pm

63. Polly’s streak is over – bummer!

Nice toss by Pudge and Miller looked good in the 1st. The crowd that’s left sounds loud, too.

by Tbone on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:16 pm

64. Sloppy first. For once they don’t take advantage of Tiger’s miscues.

by T Smith on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:18 pm

65. No Kathy. Hernandez should go out to 3rd first. If Leyland comes out, Inge would have to leave.

by Paul in CA on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:19 pm

66. call it wishful thinking, call it blind optimism, call it whatever you want, but I have a feeling about the way this game is setting up… that come Sept/Oct, we’re going to be talking about that night late in August when we played till 2 or 3 in the morning, and the energy turned the season around. Of course we still have a game to win, but it just feels right

by Jason from Somewhere on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:19 pm

67. Way to go Mags!!!!!!! 2-run dinger.

by Paul in CA on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:23 pm

68. The whole game is going to be sloppy. Too late, rhythm off, tired, it will be a miracle if there are no injuries incurred. I’m really kinda angry, there was no way I was going to sit there til 2 AM or more with a 13 year old, after having been at the office all day to start with. I feel as if they owe me a game, I’m a supportive fan and they are going to be accruing interest on my playoff ticket money for a month too!! Between yesterday and this evening, ugh.

by cib on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:23 pm

69. just got home; sorry you guys been waiting around, but now i get to watch whole game. sweeet. maggs!

by Stephen on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:24 pm

70. Heads up play, Paul. You’re right.

I think Billfer was standing next to that Asian girl who caught the ball.

by Kathy on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:24 pm

71. Well, that’s it. I need to stay away from the ballpark I guess!! I can’t stay up, thank goodness for Tivo.

by cib on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:27 pm

72. I’m still upset about the Polanco error. Clearly an out.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:29 pm

73. Inge is my Tiger!

by Stephen on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:29 pm

74. Seriously, this is last chanceville. You look at who the Royals were sending out a rehabbing starter–a guy with about a 60 pitch count–and beats Sabathia. We have to take advantage!

by Stephen on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:30 pm

75. Night, cib. You deserve a good night’s sleep.

by Kathy on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:33 pm

76. Nice swing Pudge, we really don’t want to get to 3-0.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:41 pm

77. Count should be 4-1 thus far.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:41 pm

78. 3-2! expect a miracle!!

by Stephen on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:42 pm

79. I know this is a family website, but what the hell!!? He swung at ball six. Can we not give him the take sign? It’s just beyond ridiculous.

by Stephen on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:43 pm

80. Clemens threw 8 pitches to I-Rod – 7 of them were balls. I am so sick of that guy flailing away at whatever is dished up there.

by Vince in MN on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:44 pm

81. Man, that half inning was a microcosm of the second half of this bloody season.

by Stephen on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:46 pm

82. Sweet double play. Needed it bad.

by Paul in CA on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:49 pm

83. Nice! Polanco!

by Stephen on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:50 pm

84. Could almost see that one coming from A-Rod…

by Tbone on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:55 pm

85. 2-out walks seem to always make us pay this year. We also seem to give up 2-out walks much more this year as well.

by Eric Jackson on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:55 pm

86. Two walks, two runs.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:55 pm

87. Here we go again. Stephen’s microcosm continues into this inning.

by Paul in CA on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:55 pm

88. Okay A-Rod is just…ridiculous…how on earth did he hit that one out??

by punisher2006 the indians fan on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:57 pm

89. Going to get my 2nd drink (it’s only 11p in Austin).

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:58 pm

90. Agreed on Pudge, totally changes the complexion of the inning. If Pudge would just take the walk he KNOWS he can get easily. They’d have one on and nobody out. Clemens would have to pitch from the stretch, maybe they start a rally. But heaven forbid he take a walk, get on base, and actually see a good pitch to hit in the next at bat.

Pudge is costing the Tigers runs, almost every single game. The frustrating thing is, in his case, its something he has control over, something he can easily change. But he chooses not to. I bet his approach at the plate has cost the Tigers at least 10 games this year.

I think Pudge would rather have the Tigers lose, than have the Tigers win whilst he takes a walk.

by Greg on Aug 24, 2007 at 11:59 pm

91. I agree about Pudge too…imagine how many more scoring opportunities the Tigers would have if he took a walk every now and then? That forces the starter to make more pitches too. Instead, though, Pudge strikes out and Clemens saves at least three or four pitches.

by punisher2006 the indians fan on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:02 am

92. Helluva at-bat!!!!

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:09 am

93. Nice AB by Curtis. Oh, to have a righty on the mound!

by Tbone on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:10 am

94. (Borat voice) “Niiiiiiiiiiice!”

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:10 am

95. All right Curtis! Now that was an at bat!

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:11 am

96. Great at bat by Curtis. Double and a triple already today.

by Dylan on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:11 am

97. See, that’s all i want from my team. Quality at-bats.

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:12 am

98. Great job Maybin(hey Ivan, did you see that?….. learn anything?), Cameron refrains from swinging at pitches outside of the strike zone, which leads to a walk, which leads to Clemens pitching from the stretch, and Curtis has a great AB, tripling home Maybin! A rally has commenced!

Ahh…and Polance hits to the right side of the infield for an RBI….nice!

That’s the way its done

by Greg on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:14 am

99. Clemens pitch count getting up there. So far, so good.

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:14 am

100. Let’s hang on to a lead for a bit, what do you say?

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:17 am

101. Dude, we have got to attack Lefties. I’m sure that’s what Chuck H is saying right now.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:19 am

102. Miller got tired of the two-out walk and decided to get right down to business this inning with a lead-off walk.

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:19 am

103. Miller showing his potential and his maddening weaknesses.
    How great would it be to enter playoffs with TJ-Zoom-Rodney 7 thru 9 innings and Miller as lefty specialist?
    Miner or Durbin as the long man.
    11th slot goes to Seay.
    No Cheeseman.
    Of course, that would involve Rogers getting healthy.

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:24 am

104. GOT to get the lefty here.

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:25 am

105. Grilli up in the pen. Miller stop walking matsui.

by billfer on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:26 am

106. Cheeseman warming up. God no.

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:26 am

107. Last batter for Miller either way.

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:28 am

108. Wow. How Damon and the Ump held off on that one is beyond me.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:28 am

109. Damon having better at bat, then Pudge has had all second half.

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:29 am

110. Ok, I’m not an early hook guy and I’m a big Miller fan, but you gotta pull him here because a). he hasn’t pitched in the majors in 20 days b). he’s a kid c). it’s the yankees.

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:31 am

111. Stephen – I’m with you, as long as the right is anyone other than Queso man. B/c we all know it’s not, I’m for Miller in the 5th.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:34 am

112. OMG!!!!

He didn’t swing…

by Tbone on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:34 am

113. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:35 am

114. Oh *&$%, I’m about to be struck by lightning.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:35 am

115. Well hell… if Pudge can get a walk, we can get a win.

(knocks on wood)

by Steve on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:36 am

116. It’s raining frogs… Pudge at first base via a ball four pitch he didn’t swing at.. amazing

by T Smith on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:36 am

117. Wow!

Irod walked!

WOOHOO!!

by Greg on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:36 am

118. As Jack Buck said, ‘I don’t believe what i just saw.’

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:36 am

119. I was reading the earlier posts about Pudge not walking just as he took that walk.

OH THE IRONY!!!

by Ryan S on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:37 am

120. Pudge walks!…..Pudge walks!…..

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:37 am

121. Whatever else happens tonight, we shall mark this miracle sight of Pudge standing at 1st courtesy of a good, old fashioned base-on-balls.

by Tbone on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:37 am

122. If Inge gets a hit, well…

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:38 am

123. Pudge gets a walk on the same night that Polanco makes an error? Weird stuff is going down tonight.

by billfer on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:38 am

124. BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

:-o

by Steve on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:39 am

125. OMG, i’m going to my roof and jumping off. I think tonight i might be able to fly.

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:39 am

126. If Maybin bunts for a hit, I’m going to streak thru Brooklyn.

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:41 am

127. Drink #3. Cheers to Inge.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:41 am

128. LOL! …Stephen

and Inge follows up with a free pass of his own……

and the earth didn’t rotate off of its axis?!?!

by Greg on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:42 am

129. Uh, can anyone say season-turning inning?!

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:44 am

130. Two Trips!!!

by Ryan S on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:44 am

131. Yes!

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:45 am

132. %&*# Yeah!

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:45 am

133. Wow!!!!!!!!!!!

GRANDERSON!!

by Steve on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:45 am

134. Now the big question. Will JL have Miller start the 5th?

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:46 am

135. I can’t believe that I’m about to type this….

Those 2 runs wouldn’t have without Pudge’s (and Inge’s) patience at the plate. The inning would have already been over.

Nice work.

by Greg on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:47 am

136. Okay – I guess I’ll have to change my pick, Granderson is now my Tiger. Amazing what a walk can do for team, Pudge…

by Tbone on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:47 am

137. anyone but Grilli, for the love of all things good in the world, anyone but Grilli…

by Steve in OH on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:47 am

138. The rain is looking like its coming back….

by Dylan on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:47 am

139. Granderson’s been my Tiger for a while now… we’re lucky to have him.

by Steve in OH on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:48 am

140. If we have the lead, the rain is our friend.

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:49 am

141. Once the game is official, they will call this game over in a hurry if the rain is falling.

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:50 am

142. Maybin might have some speed. Holy Moses.

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:51 am

143. aargh.

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:52 am

144. These games are going to be the end of me. Can we keep a lead for at least one-half inning? Is that too much to ask?

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:53 am

145. Dear god, it’s me a tiger fan. please give us a double play.

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:53 am

146. I don’t know how you let this kid throw 100 pitches.

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:55 am

147. Why is Raburn diving for that ball with a three-run lead! What the $#$%#$%#$%

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:55 am

148. Oh the Tigers pitching staff…

by Steve in OH on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:56 am

149. #4

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:57 am

150. thanks posada for dogging it.

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:57 am

151. man that delay was just too much for me tonight… here’s to hoping i wake up to pleasant news and a box score that makes me happy

by Steve in OH on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:58 am

152. BLAH. that sucks.

by Dylan on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:59 am

153. and i just threw up in my mouth.

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:59 am

154. I give up

by Cameron in Singapore on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:59 am

155. Pathetic…truly pathetic….can’t even turn an easy DP.

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:01 am

156. Now, does Byrdak go into the dugout and think “I really did a good job there!” ?

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:01 am

157. Also, Santiago saw that Guillen throw and upgraded to the suite at the Mariott. “Hey Mom, go ahead and send me all of the boxes. Yeah, I’ll be here for a while.”

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:02 am

158. Hey, at least we’re not down a few runs. (I am trying to stay positive….not really).

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:02 am

159. Wow, that 10 minute window when we had a three run lead was the best fun I’ve had in a while.

by Ryan S on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:03 am

160. And Thames swings at first pitch. Tigers last half inning already forgotten, much like season 7 of Dallas where it all turned out to be a Bobby Ewing dream.

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:04 am

161. We will always have 12:48 to 12:58 a.m.!

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:05 am

162. You know, I always wondered who buys the $2 necklaces being hawked on the beach in Cancun.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:07 am

163. Hey, I’m running to the store for reinforcements? Beef jerky, Cap’n Crunch, and maybe some Diet Mountain Dew. Anyone need anything? Maybe a difribillator?

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:09 am

164. Depends.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:10 am

165. I’m kind of tired watching the Tiger batters head drop after popping up after swinging on the first pitch.

by Eric Jackson on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:10 am

166. OK,

I have resolved this in my mind. Even if this team loses every game the rest of the year, They have still had a nice run over the last 2 years.

In addition, Dombo is building a heck of an organization. The best days are still to come.

It is still a heck of a lot better than 2003.

by Sam on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:10 am

167. This was the night we turned it all around…for 10 minutes…

by Ryan S on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:10 am

168. Pudge for DH!!! Not…

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:11 am

169. My MLB.tv keeps shutting off, anyone else having this problem? I restart and it’s fine.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:12 am

170. Tiger bully vs. Yankee bully. Whose your $ on??

by Tbone on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:13 am

171. I’m taking a friend from England to his first baseball game Monday. Man, I hope the Tigers can at least make a good show of it for him…

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:13 am

172. Who is the Tiger bully? Paws?

Okay, I’ll be the bookie. Line is NYY -1 for the rest of the game. Who’s in and for how much?

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:15 am

173. Tbone – I’m just excited to see Chamberlain.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:16 am

174. No Joba tonight. He pitched an inning their last game. According to the Yankees, for every inning he pitches, he gets a game off. I’m sure we’ll enjoy him tomorrow and Monday.

by Ryan S on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:20 am

175. The Tigers website says Rick Porcello arrived Friday and will be with the team this weekend. Rick only started watching Tiger games this summer and his dad is/was a Yankee fan.

I give up. Maybe if I don’t watch, they’ll win.

by Kathy on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:21 am

176. Roger, thanks for the info. With the new info I’m moving the line to even. I’ll bet a cold Lone Star beer on the Tigers.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:22 am

177. Solid AB, nice approach Inge

by Greg on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:25 am

178. Nice AB Inge

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:25 am

179. Blackbeard’sGhost! Inge walks again

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:25 am

180. Pudge AND Brandon talking walks. Wow! Soooo sad that that’s all it takes to excite me from those two…

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:25 am

181. How about a single here and a hr in the 8th. we all deserve a little cycle in our lives.

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:28 am

182. Ohhhhh, the Look of Death from Torre to Jorge!

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:28 am

183. Or not. I swear to God if they lose this game by one run at 240 am i’m gonna go mental.

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:29 am

184. Do we lead the Majors in men stranded in scoring position? We must!

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:30 am

185. Oh gawd. Grilli. I might just go to bed…

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:31 am

186. Oh god…. The Cheese Man.

by Dylan on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:31 am

187. And they’re bringing in the Wild Thing…Wild Thing, you make my heart sing, you blow everything

by punisher2006 the indians fan on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:31 am

188. And the Tigers are bringing in the Wild Thing…Wild Thing, you make my heart sing, you blow everything

by punisher2006 the indians fan on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:32 am

189. What??? Where is Rodney?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:32 am

190. Grilli:

I’m scared. Is Jimmy betting on these games?

by T Smith on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:32 am

191. #5. Line just moved to Yankees -7.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:32 am

192. That’s all they really need, AB’s like that, the rest will fall into place if they just continue a balanced, patient approach. Make the pitchers throw a pitch you can drive every once in awhile. They’ve got skills. Keep this up, and the runs(and subsequently, wins) will come in bunches.

by Greg on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:33 am

193. The Cheeseman – doesn’t that automatically change the odds Kevin?

by Tbone on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:33 am

194. JML…don’t worry…my Indians lead the Majors in that undesirable category…every time we get RISP, we 1. pop the ball straight up 2. strike out on three pitches :D

by punisher2006 the indians fan on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:33 am

195. Grilli against the Heart of the Yankees line-up at home, do you believe in Miracles??

by Sam on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:33 am

196. I sure hope this works out ’cause neither leyland or cheddar are getting out alive if it doesn’t.

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:34 am

197. Yankees -6

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:34 am

198. -7?!

Give me the Stankees.

by Tbone on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:35 am

199. my kingdom for two warning track outs!

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:35 am

200. Anyone else hear the fan yelling “sellout” in the background? Genius. That guy is my Tiger.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:35 am

201. I don’t know Stephen, unless you are in Park Slope, I may not take that bet.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:37 am

202. U gotta love Granderson going “Kelly Leak” a la Bad News Bears on Raburn with that fly ball.

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:38 am

203. Oh Grilli, the two out honeymoon is over.

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:38 am

204. You knew Grilli couldn’t get through it without at least one 4 pitch walk.

by Ryan S on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:39 am

205. Ball 4

by punisher2006 the indians fan on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:39 am

206. THE CHEESE MAN!!!!

by Dylan on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:41 am

207. I think we’ve just witnessed history, folks.

by punisher2006 the indians fan on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:41 am

208. My, Grilli sure is impressed with himself.

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:41 am

209. Grandy has to run off the other guys; he playing outfield with lupus on one side and tanner on the other.

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:41 am

210. It’s 6 to 6 in the 7th. Even giving up a lot of runs; they look like our Tigers. I’m happy. Joe in Montgomery- I could not agree more.

by ron on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:41 am

211. Holy @#$%! did you see Grilli after that inning! I like this guy a lot better now, because I think he might be crazy!

by Ryan S on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:42 am

212. Oh man! Grilli is pumped!

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:42 am

213. Wow. There actualy are a few good innings with Grilli Cheeseman

by Chris on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:42 am

214. Blind squirrel meet Mr. Nut.

Pass me a slice of that Gouda!

by Tbone on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:42 am

215. Add it to the list of strange events tonight: Grilli does not give up a run!!

by Shane trapped in Athens, Ohio on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:42 am

216. omelettes for all!

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:42 am

217. Nice….

although that will just reinforce Leyland’s delusion that Grilli is an effective pitcher(no offense Jimmy, you’re still the best!)

by Greg on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:43 am

218. OK Jason,

Settle down a little bit.

by Sam on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:44 am

219. Hm, Zumaya II is here. Hope he does as well as The Real Zumaya last night :-P

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:44 am

220. Nice play Stephen on the Lupus and Tanner references. Nice.

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:44 am

221. Grilli is our Joba Chamberlin

by Chris on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:44 am

222. Fast Fwd to the 8th

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:44 am

223. THE MEGA CHEESE MAN! Here comes the fireballer

by punisher2006 the indians fan on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:45 am

224. Is Torre breaking the Joba rules?

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:45 am

225. Guess I was wrong about Joba. I forgot that the Yanks were off yesterday.

by Ryan S on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:45 am

226. This guy has some seriously spicy cheese

by punisher2006 the indians fan on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:48 am

227. Thames and Pudge in death struggle to see who can have crappiest OBA in entire American League. Uh, this is why Thames doesn’t play every day.

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:48 am

228. A little disparity between the stadium radar gun and the Gameday radar gun. 101 on the stadium/TV one cmompared to 98 for Gameday.

by punisher2006 the indians fan on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:49 am

229. I’m still awake Stephen. Quit talking bout my Tiger.

by Kathy on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:49 am

230. Oh well, things could be worse. We could be Cleveland Indian fans who haven’t won a title since 1492. Jose Mesa, I love you!

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:49 am

231. Joba really does look like Babe Ruth.

by ron on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:50 am

232. When my two year son woke up a few minutes ago and was confused why I was watching the “GoTigers” in the middle of the night, that was my cue to pack it in.

It’s been a fun night, even if we end up blowing yet another one.

by Ryan S on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:50 am

233. Fast Fwd to “Game Over, Yankees Win”

by Chris on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:50 am

234. Sorry Kathy. Nice to know you’re still awake. I’m trying to keep the faith.

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:51 am

235. Still no Rodney…this is an interesting move. Maybe Leyland wants Seay to take care of Cano and Abreu?

by punisher2006 the indians fan on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:51 am

236. Well said, Chris

by Cameron in Singapore on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:51 am

237. AB of the game, gotta get Abreu. He’s been killing us.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:55 am

238. Someone extend Inge’s contract!

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:55 am

239. Inge, Superman.

by ron on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:55 am

240. Maybe Billfer was right…is Inge your tiger now?

by punisher2006 the indians fan on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:56 am

241. HUGE.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:56 am

242. C’mon Damon. You got millions, a hot wife, a ring, and a sex swing in your apartment, give us an out; it matters more to us.

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:56 am

243. What time is it in Detroit? 5am?

by Chris on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:57 am

244. Um…bullpen goood…not..used…to…this…

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:59 am

245. Damon with the hat trick

by punisher2006 the indians fan on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:59 am

246. I’m loving the emo relievers with all their screaming. nice to see some passion.

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:59 am

247. Here we go boys, we owe the pen.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 1:59 am

248. Oh yeah! Bobby was so excited he started to go “Grilli” on his way to the dugout.

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:00 am

249. That’s the most emotion I’ve seen in a month. You go Bobby.

by ron on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:01 am

250. I must have fallen asleep and am dreaming…

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:01 am

251. Good morning from Germany (8.a.m here)

Ryan S wrote ” When my two year son woke up a few minutes ago and was confused why I was watching the “GoTigers” in the middle of the night, that was my cue to pack it in.”

:D

That’s my usual gametime watching here in Germany.

Just get out of bed and my first look was, if the Tigers game was played after this long delay…..very astonished that they are still playing.

Huge out and Damon strucks out. Great. Come on Tigers, please, make it.

by Dirk on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:02 am

252. 1 run for us + three outs for them = 1.5 games back

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:03 am

253. Good news is that we won’t see Joba until Sunday.. Joba rule…

Come on, get a run.

by Chris on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:03 am

254. Rodney better be pitching.

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:06 am

255. That was some nasty stuff

by punisher2006 the indians fan on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:07 am

256. Okay, we can do this. Let’s take it one at a time. Have got to get Cabrera.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:07 am

257. Guys,

I just found this, for all of you looking forward to the Lions season, check it out.

They compare NFL teams to Characters from Star Wars.

by Sam on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:08 am

258. Is there a curfew or do they get to play until the sun comes up?

by Tbone on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:08 am

259. That was quick

by punisher2006 the indians fan on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:09 am

260. Awww hell. Jeter scares the crap out of me. Need a K here. Come on Rodney.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:10 am

261. Yanks announcers on MLB Xtra Innings said that the curfew no longer exists.

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:12 am

262. so i’m not the only one up this later. Wow, there’s a lot of comments

by Kurt on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:12 am

263. Nice piece of hitting by Melky. Please Fernando, field this ball.

by Sam on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:12 am

264. Rodney, if you get three outs I won’t ridicule you for the idiotic way you wear your cap…

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:13 am

265. Pudge in pain

by punisher2006 the indians fan on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:18 am

266. crInge hit better when injured, perhaps Pudge will too. :-P

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:20 am

267. Man,….

Melky is gonna take 3rd

by Greg on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:20 am

268. Call a pitch out here Jimmy. I don’t mind pitching around ARod.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:21 am

269. Just flashed stat AROD 18-25 with 8 hr’s in ninth inning.

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:22 am

270. 18-35, sorry

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:22 am

271. Oh yeah, only 18-35, that’s a relief.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:23 am

272. 18-36! one more out and one run pleaaaassssee!!!

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:23 am

273. Atta boy Rodney! Toss him.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:26 am

274. Heh, Jorge managed to get put out twice in one at-bat ;-)

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:26 am

275. one run, what i can offer the gods in exchange for one run?

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:26 am

276. According to Gameday, Posada may have a legitimate beef

by punisher2006 the indians fan on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:27 am

277. The Gods like Vodka. #6.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:27 am

278. Davidson runs Posada for arguing strikes! Sweet! (BTW Posada had a point. Davidson’s strike zone has moved all night. I have no idea what he will call)

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:27 am

279. Best game of the season.

by ron on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:27 am

280. That strike 3 was a ball when Miller was throwing.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:28 am

281. Extra innings would be rather annoying tonight…

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:28 am

282. Ok,

How about a bomb by Maybin??

by Sam on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:28 am

283. He may have a beef on the second strike, but the third; he did that himself.

by Eric Jackson on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:28 am

284. Kevin exactly. Miller has had many problems this year, but part of it is he ain’t getting the calls, which happens with a rookie.

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:29 am

285. Keep walking crInge, he’s Babe Ruth-like after all!

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:29 am

286. My Tigers tonight:
    1) Bill Davidson
    2) Heckler behind home plate
    3) Paws
    4) Detroit Tiber Weblog – approaching 300 comments

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:29 am

287. Inge, god this would make up for a lot, wouldn’t it?

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:30 am

288. Yeah,

Why watch anything close on the 3rd strike??

by Sam on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:30 am

289. My Tigers tonight:
    1) Bill Davidson
    2) Heckler behind home plate
    3) Paws
    4) Detroit Tiger Weblog – approaching 300 comments

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:30 am

290. Interesting they didn’t send Melky, I wonder if it would have violated ‘the code’ since Jeter clearly was at fault there for not getting out of Pudge’s way.

by Greg on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:31 am

291. Inge. What a joke.

by JMD on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:32 am

292. Walk off homer by Maybin.

by PHT in HK on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:32 am

293. And here comes the rain again!

Someone needs to end this, I seriously need to go to bed…

by Tbone on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:33 am

294. Time for Maybin to come through in the clutch.

by Eric Jackson on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:33 am

295. I’m teeing off at 9am tommorrow. (and going down to the game tommorrow night) Come-on Tigers!

by Sam on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:35 am

296. That’s ok Inge, 0 for 2, but 2 walks, that’s .500 OBP, I’ll take that any night from my #8 hitter.

by Greg on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:35 am

297. What? Was that anywhere near the zone? Oh goodness.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:36 am

298. Maybin’s gotta swing at that. It’s been a strike all night.

by Sam on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:37 am

299. Davidson returns the favor.

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:37 am

300. C’mon Placido, you are overdue!

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:37 am

301. Just get on base Polly.

by Eric Jackson on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:38 am

302. Maybin may have a legit beef too

by punisher2006 the indians fan on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:38 am

303. Come on Placido!

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:38 am

304. RISP!

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:39 am

305. Base hit = win! Come on!!!!!

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:39 am

306. Who else would you rather have in this situation than Polanco

by punisher2006 the indians fan on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:40 am

307. like inge, casey: much forgiven if you get a hit here..

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:42 am

308. Whew… Close there Polanco.

Casey, hit the gap.

by Eric Jackson on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:42 am

309. Oh Sean, get a hit, please.

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:42 am

310. Well, not Casey. But all we need is a single. We’ve got a 3/10 chance here.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:42 am

311. Might have got a break there on the no swing. Will take it. Go Casey.

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:43 am

312. FREE CHRIS SHELTON!!!

by Sam on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:43 am

313. I am going to kick a puppy…

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:43 am

314. I hope this is allowed because it’s 245. Casey: Kiss my ass.

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:43 am

315. A rare Casey popup.. Shucks.

by Eric Jackson on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:43 am

316. Wowie zowie another extra innings affair

by punisher2006 the indians fan on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:43 am

317. That’s all for me….hope to see good news in the morning!

by Tbone on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:44 am

318. That is unbelievable. What a choke artist. I sure hope Casey enjoys the next month or so, cause he ain’t getting on any major league charters next year.

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:44 am

319. 1-2-3 inning here Rodney.

by Eric Jackson on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:45 am

320. Hmm didn’t Casey pop one up in the same type of situation the other day against the Indians? And to the same spot in right field too?

by punisher2006 the indians fan on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:47 am

321. Rodney looks out of synche – get Chuck out there!!

by Sam on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:48 am

322. hallelujah!

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:49 am

323. Cool

DP right as I hit submit ;-). I’ll stop posting

by Sam on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:49 am

324. We have to get Phillips. No Abreu, please.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:51 am

325. Nice gun Guillen. Come on boys.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:52 am

326. Rodney is officially BACK. I’m convinced. Joel, please follow suit. And now, time to face their closer. Gosh, thanks Sean…

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:52 am

327. Enter the Sandman.

by Sam on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:54 am

328. Mad, mad props to the fans at Comerica tonight.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:54 am

329. Mariano has been banged up a bit this year; they can get to him.

by Eric Jackson on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:55 am

330. Was that a rally shirt?

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:57 am

331. MAGGS!!! OK, I’m wearing my shirt that way now, too!

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:57 am

332. Way to go Mags.

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:58 am

333. I’ve got my shirt up over my head now. Hard to type.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:58 am

334. Bunt?

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:58 am

335. Come on Pudge! get it out of the infield.

by Eric Jackson on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:59 am

336. Rally shirt working thus far.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:59 am

337. 2 walks for Pudge in the same night!!

It will be up to Inge.

by Sam on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:59 am

338. Just as good

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:59 am

339. That guy looks like a Weeble, and now he’s famous. Ah, what sleep deprivation will do to ya!

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:00 am

340. Rayburn, please

by ron on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:00 am

341. give us a fly ball

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:00 am

342. Are we going to have to wear our shirts like that at the games now?? I may not go tommorrow night ;-)

by Sam on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:01 am

343. Gee, the word is out on crInge. Pinch hit Omar! Oh wait…

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:01 am

344. Make them pay Inge..

He’s got to come through sometime.

by Eric Jackson on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:01 am

345. Ted Williams, Babe Ruth

by ron on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:01 am

346. Sam – just do it.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:02 am

347. Bunt!!

by Sam on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:02 am

348. Can he pull off a sac-fly?!?! Cripes, just fly out to the outfiled, man!

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:02 am

349. Should of bunted to A-Rod, but good AB by Inge, just hti it at them.

by Sam on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:04 am

350. I am labeling my voodoo doll… Phillips…

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:04 am

351. MLB Xtra innings just cut out on me. Any west coasters experience the same thing? Happened at Midnight my time.

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:04 am

352. :-O

by punisher2006 the indians fan on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:04 am

353. It’s okay, I’ve got faith in the Rally Shirt

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:04 am

354. Not Good.

by Eric Jackson on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:05 am

355. This is ridiculous

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:05 am

356. I hate baseball.

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:06 am

357. Unbelievable

by punisher2006 the indians fan on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:06 am

358. Ok,

We don’t have to wear our shirts that way now. That was just plain stupid ;-)

by Sam on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:06 am

359. Imagine if Sheff were healthy..we’d all have a good hour’s sleep under our belts by now. Sigh.

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:07 am

360. Chad Durbin???? WTF??

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:07 am

361. Props to Inge, smacked that ball hard, just unlucky it was right at someone. Those will usually find a hole.

by Greg on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:08 am

362. Mario sounded disgusted when he said Durbin’s name.

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:08 am

363. Just went to my lucky charm. This one is in the bag.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:08 am

364. You got a guy out of Single A facing the Hall of Fame reliever and then you bring in your mop up guy?

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:09 am

365. No walks Chad.

by Eric Jackson on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:09 am

366. What time does McDonalds open?

by ron on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:09 am

367. Seriously, where is Jones?

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:09 am

368. Abreu is gone. Thank goodness.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:09 am

369. I sure hope Monday’s game isn’t like this, my buddy the Brit will hate me forever! What’s the weather forecast? :-P

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:10 am

370. Stephen (hearts) Jones.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:11 am

371. I just don’t heart a guy with a 5.78 career ERA pitching the most crucial inning of the season.

I hope I’m wrong!!!!!

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:13 am

372. When are they going to suspend this barn burner?

by PHT in HK on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:13 am

373. Yeah, all the people living downtown must be sick of all the lights and noise! Oh, on the other hand…

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:14 am

374. Ok.. this inning. Henn a ham and egger, we’re getting it done…

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:15 am

375. Somebody pinch me

by punisher2006 the indians fan on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:15 am

376. Wow,

Was I glad to get through that .5 inning. I actually like Durbin. He has been yanked around this year (rotation-pen-rotation-pen), but has pitched decent.

by Sam on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:16 am

377. Well, at least the Yankees won’t be so well rested after tonight.

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:17 am

378. granderson versus the lefty… hr for cycle??

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:17 am

379. Rain? Well, please let it mean slippery surface for the Yankee fielders and an assist from nature!

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:19 am

380. On Gamecast now. *&(*(^^%((($$$ MLB XTRA Innings went out at Midnight my time. I’ll follow along here as well.

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:19 am

381. Look on the bright side, the pen seems to be in top form tonight/this morning.

by PHT in HK on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:20 am

382. I feel a gap double from Sean. :)

by Eric Jackson on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:23 am

383. Oh Placido…

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:23 am

384. Casey Missed the F*in sign

by Sam on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:23 am

385. Good thing we have such a swift runner on first….

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:24 am

386. That hit makes the missed hit-and-run absolutely huge.

by Eric Jackson on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:24 am

387. You can tell by his reaction after the single.

FREE CHRIS SHELTON.

He should PR for Casey

by Sam on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:25 am

388. Pinch run Santiago? Move Guillen to 1st.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:25 am

389. Double OH! How do you get caught leaning the wrong way in a situation like that?

by PHT in HK on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:26 am

390. That was a kind of … cute… swing

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:27 am

391. I’m not sure Shelton is who I’d want up there in these situations, or everyday, either.

Bring ‘em home Guillen!

by Eric Jackson on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:27 am

392. I’ll take it. Come on Guillen. This is going our way.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:27 am

393. They’ll walk (unintentionally) Guillen to face Pudge

by Sam on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:27 am

394. I’d love to have Santiago on 3rd right now, in case of a PB.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:28 am

395. Yes!!!!!!

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:30 am

396. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:30 am

397. THANK YOU!!!!!

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:31 am

398. Huge win!

by Eric Jackson on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:31 am

399. YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:31 am

400. Ok,

That was cool!!! I may have to employe Rally Shirt tommorrow night ;-)

by Sam on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:31 am

401. CARLOS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

by Dirk on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:31 am

402. How did he get to that ball? Mad, mad props to the fans still at Comerica.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:31 am

403. From this day to the ending of the world,
    But we in it shall be remembered-
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition;
    And gentlemen in Detroit now-a-bed
    Shall think themselves accurs’d they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon Saint Guillen’s Day.

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:32 am

404. Wow. Joe Torre has been a genius all night long. Why in the world he would pitch to Guillen instead of Pudge is beyond me. That’s just nuts. We’re playing at least twelve innings if he just walks Carlos.

I’ll take it.

by T Smith on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:33 am

405. Man, the fans at the park DESERVED that!

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:33 am

406. That was one of the best games I’ve “watched” on gameday before.

Was the home run a no doubter?

by Boombotti on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:33 am

407. Wow… They won…. and now we are only an hour away from first pitch of game two.

by Chris on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:34 am

408. I’m having a BEER.

by Sam on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:34 am

409. Proud to be commenter #410.

by Bobby on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:35 am

410. 406 comments and counting!!

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:35 am

411. Where’s Billfer???

Wuss!

by Sam on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:36 am

412. Awesome.
    Biggest/hugest/most epic win in awhile….

by Tram Fan on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:36 am

413. “Mad props” to The Detroit Tigers Weblog! 400 + posts. Damn nice to know ya. What a game.

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:36 am

414. WOOOO! go tigers! (see comment from 11:19pm)

by Jason from Somewhere on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:36 am

415. I’m having more beer!

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:37 am

416. The homerun went into the Tigers bullpen area, but you could tell it was out the moment it left the bat.

I was tired but now not sure I can sleep :)

by Eric Jackson on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:37 am

417. Doing a shot of Jack and dancing about…

by Stephen on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:39 am

418. Jason from Somewhere: man that was creepy. You called it.

by Paul in CA on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:39 am

419. Great post Stephen.

Sam – I’ll be looking for you. Shirt over the head.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:40 am

420. I wonder if I can get the Brit to put his shirt over his head. I’ll just tell him its a long-standing tradition… ;-)

by JML on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:43 am

421. This year instead of gum time it can be Cornholio time.

Great win.

by Jeff on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:44 am

422. That was fun. The fans were tremendous. If this doesn’t inspire the players, than nothing will. And how about that pitching. What a relief. we didn’t use Zoom or Jones. Unbelievable.

by ron on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:58 am

423. Thank goodness that pick on Polly did not effect the outcome of the game. You could tell he was real upset in the dugout. I particularly enjoyed the F-bomb Pudge dropped when he smacked his hand on Jeter’s bat. He gutted it out and stayed in the game. That a boy, Pudge.

by ron on Aug 25, 2007 at 4:11 am

424. Just got back from the game, now is 4:50 in the morning…..man was it worth it! Was so cool to see that many fans there that late, it felt like the good old days when the real Tiger fans were the ones that showed up at the ballpark (aka, pre-last year)……

What a game! Now lets take this series!

by Kevin on Aug 25, 2007 at 4:52 am

425. JML wrote “I wonder if I can get the Brit to put his shirt over his head. I’ll just tell him its a long-standing tradition…”

Brit. Soccer Fans don’t wear Shirts :lol: (please, send him (my) greetings from Britains best (soccer-) friends, the Germans ;)

Ah, just forgot: Thx to the Royals. Althoug CC pitched a complete Game they won.

by Dirk on Aug 25, 2007 at 5:04 am

426. Great win and outstanding performance by the pen. Let’s hope that this gives the guys some momentum to start a good streak.

by PHT in HK on Aug 25, 2007 at 6:23 am

427. And there IS good news in the morning!

See, I just needed to go to bed for all this to happen.

by Tbone on Aug 25, 2007 at 8:14 am

428. OMG, we won? At 3:00 I took a couple zanax and konked out. It was still the 9th inning. OMG, we really won. In extra innings?
    Did Billfer stay and watch the fireworks show or was it too early….sun starting to come up.

by Kathy on Aug 25, 2007 at 8:28 am

429. Kathy,

You missed a couple nail-bitting innings ladden with missed opportunities… but in the end, we prevailed.

by T Smith on Aug 25, 2007 at 8:49 am

430. Today Jim Leyland should rally this team around the dedication of those diehard fans in attendance till the end. They believed…. Comerica nearly FULL at 3:30 A.M. in the morning. Children sleeping in their parents arms, fans weathering a multitude of rain waves at all hours, and yet they stayed. Since 7:00 pm. They all believed…

If that’s not a dedicated fan base, I don’t know what is. Do you honestly think the Oakland Coliseum would be full at 3:30 in the morning?

I hope Jason from Somewhere is right. This could be a win we could build off of.

by T Smith on Aug 25, 2007 at 8:56 am

431. Just enjoyed the game on Tivo, if I were younger and didn’t have a million Mom-responsibilities this weekend I would have loved to have stuck it out. Billfer, per your comments I am never taking my daughter to another ball game. lol. go tigers!!

by cib on Aug 25, 2007 at 9:53 am

432. I thought for sure they were canceling the game so I went out at 10 pm and missed it all. I’m bummed. But watching highlights + comments here + Billfer’s wrapup and I feel like I watched it.

Huge, huge win. Please win tonight so at the least, the season’s not over even without playing Sunday/Monday’s games.

Told you there’s still hope!

by Mike R on Aug 25, 2007 at 10:15 am

433. T Smith is right. The team should use the fan dedication and rally.

by Kevin in Austin on Aug 25, 2007 at 10:44 am

434. A round of applause for you, Bilfer! Wow!

by Kurt on Aug 25, 2007 at 11:28 am

435. just curious, as I have only been reading for a year or so…what is the record for posts during/after one game?

btw, nice Henry V reference Stephen. clutch performance in the blog’s hour of need.

by William on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:08 pm

436. 434 comments! Wow!

Just woke up about a half hour ago after arriving back in Lansing about 5:45 a.m. after the game.

And my 6-year old and 3-year old sons made it through the whole game–albeit unconsciously for the last 2-3 hours.

Great recap, Bilfer. I’m going to print it off and save it for the scrapbook.

Amazing statistical comparison of the night:

Roger Clemens: 5 IP, 6 H, 3 BB, 6 R, 3 K

Tigers bullpen: 6.2 IP, 3 H, 2 BB, 0 R, 6 K

Will post a few photos later. For now, I have to cram for my fantasy football draft. Luckily, the other owners in my league were all at the game, too.

Go Tigers!

by Kyle J on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:14 pm

437. How about the part where the whole crowd was chanting “Ro-ger, Ro-ger” like he were Patrick Roy at the Joe? Great stuff.

by NR on Aug 25, 2007 at 12:22 pm

438. I love you guys and all these crazy comments — just read through all of them! I fell asleep at the 9th inning, kept dreaming about all the different possible outcomes… of all, I believe this was the best one!

God I wish I was at the ballpark. Going tonight and Sunday, maybe we can do a repeat!

by tiff on Aug 25, 2007 at 2:08 pm

439. WOW that’s alotta comments.

I stayed up and watched it from bed last night almost all the way till 330.

I actually turned it off at 1am since I had to work this morning. 1:30 rolls around…eh if I turn it on I’ll watch till 2am…2:30….3….YES!

Amazing game.

To top it all off, I was late to work this morning because I slept in. HA!

I’m off to tonights game, come on BONDO!

by Jim on Aug 25, 2007 at 4:15 pm

440. What\’s a web surfer to do? I was going along, searching for some info on Girl gone wild beach, and saw a link here. You can bet I\’ll be bookmarking this site TODAY (Wednesday). Great post!

by Girl Gone Wild Beach on Oct 10, 2007 at 5:17 pm