PREGAME: Danny Haren and Justin Verlander.
OAK @ DET, Saturday, August 11, 2007 Game Preview – Baseball-Reference.com
POSTGAME: Nice win tonight, and don’t look now but the Tigers are 3-3 in their last 6 games. Umm, yeah. But still, a really nice win with enough offense against a tough pitcher, enough out of Justin Verlander when he didn’t have his best stuff, and a lock down effort by the pen.
- More on the pen, 9 batters faced, 9 batters retired. Four of those came via the punch-out. The biggest of course being the combined effort of Bobby Seay and Aquilino Lopez who wiggled out of a first and second, no out jam in the seventh. If you were wondering the run expectancy in that situation is about 1.5. With a 1 run lead at that point, that is why Seay and Lopez combined for more WPA points than Magglio Ordonez.
- And Fernando Rodney is looking very 2006, and that’s a very fine vintage. Even being squeezed on the corners, he wasn’t rattled and picked up 2 K’s.
- Some insurance runs made it an easy night for Todd Jones, who has been quite effective for about 6 weeks now.
- Magglio Ordonez had his 2nd straight 3 hit night. I, like many, expected him to fade from a batting average stand point and finish out of the running for the batting title. Of course there is plenty of time for that to happen, but it is mid August now and he seems to have shaken off that July funk and is driving the ball again. Just an incredible season and a joy to watch.
- And if you were wondering about the brevity of the pregame tonight, it actually had less to do with my frustrations with the team(which are present, believe me), and more to do with that’s what the bosses (my kids) would allow me to get done. But with the results, expect another short one tomorrow.
Tigers 5 A’s 2