Game 113: Rays at Tigers

PREGAME: I’ll be heading down to tonight’s game. I actually picked out these tickets prior to the season because tonight is the 25th anniversary of my very first Tigers game. I don’t remember many details about the game, but I do remember that it was a twi-night doubleheader against the Blue Jays and that Kirk Gibson was on the DL with a broken wrist. I remember Gibson not playing because he was sitting in the stands a few rows in front of me. That information was enough for me to id the game on retrosheet.

As for tonight’s game it will be Chad Durbin returning to the rotation. He’ll be taking on James Shields who has been quite good for most of the year and shut down the Tigers in May. However, he has struggled in his last 5 starts posting a 7.39 ERA with batters hitting 322/385/559 against him.

Game Time 7:05

TBD @ DET, Wednesday, August 8, 2007 Game Preview – Baseball-Reference.com

POSTGAME: You know that first doubleheader I went to the Tigers allowed 7 runs in both games. Maybe there is something there.

Posted by on August 8, 2007.

Categories: 2007 Season, Game Post

1. I’ll be looking for you at the game tonight billfer…

Go Tigers!

by Tbone on Aug 8, 2007 at 6:28 pm

2. i’m liking the lineup today: grandy, polanco, sheff, ordonez, guillen, pudge, casey, raburn and inge…tomorrow we should have thames replacing casey and hopefully raburn is still in left field…takes the rally killers out of the bottom of the rotation…hopefully we see some more solid pitching.

by charlie on Aug 8, 2007 at 6:29 pm

3. I have to admit, I checked this site about 7 times today hoping to see a story about how the Tigers DFA’d Jason Grilli.

sigh. Perhaps tomorrow.

Go Tigers.

by Mark in Chicago on Aug 8, 2007 at 7:11 pm

4. Chuck Hernandez must want to rip his hair out right about now

by bob on Aug 8, 2007 at 7:21 pm

5. i hear david wells is going to DFA’d

by charlie on Aug 8, 2007 at 7:27 pm

6. any theories on our starters and the first inning problem?

by charlie on Aug 8, 2007 at 7:33 pm

7. Clearly, Charlie, the problem is the bullpen. :)

by Nate on Aug 8, 2007 at 7:41 pm

8. 25 years ago, Billfer? Man, when do you, and others here, want me to tell you I wasn’t even born then.

by Mike R on Aug 8, 2007 at 7:47 pm

9. Brandon Inge: Destined to kill a rally when Monroe’s not in the game, anyway possible.

by Mike R on Aug 8, 2007 at 7:50 pm

10. I like how MLB.com completely misses Polanco’s home run, comes back for 2 seconds of him rounding the bases and now is going in and out every 5 seconds. Son of aaaaa….

by Ken from Cincinnati on Aug 8, 2007 at 8:05 pm

11. Wow….Yankees are down 8-2 in the 3rd. You gotta love that.

by Ken from Cincinnati on Aug 8, 2007 at 8:11 pm

12. grilli time

by charlie on Aug 8, 2007 at 8:15 pm

13. Oh God! Not McBride. Grilli is Mcbride’s mentor

by Matt in ATL on Aug 8, 2007 at 8:19 pm

14. All things considered, that was not bad work by McBride. Wish he could get that hanging breaking pitch to Young back, tho.

need the offense to get going now

by Mark in Chicago on Aug 8, 2007 at 8:25 pm

15. I thought Leyland was going to go to Miner after Mcbride got Pena out.

by boombotti on Aug 8, 2007 at 8:26 pm

16. Shields missed on that pitch to Pudge pretty bad there.

by Jim on Aug 8, 2007 at 8:28 pm

17. If we didn’t have 3 LH specialists in the bullpen, these last 2 innings would’ve been from an actual reliever who can (1) get RH hitters out, (2) be okay going multiple innings. I think the biggest thing wrong with the bullpen is there are too many guys pitching in roles they shouldn’t be in. Like McBride trying to plow through a multiple inning relief appearance.

by Mike R on Aug 8, 2007 at 8:48 pm

18. Do you believe this?

by Kathy on Aug 8, 2007 at 8:51 pm

19. Do you all hear the boos. Mario completely ignored it.

by boombotti on Aug 8, 2007 at 8:52 pm

20. I wonder what Billfer’s thinking?

by Kathy on Aug 8, 2007 at 8:52 pm

21. Grilli? Unbelievable. Let’s give up I guess.

by JMD on Aug 8, 2007 at 8:53 pm

22. Ha! He deserved it.

by grant on Aug 8, 2007 at 8:55 pm

23. boo you one day and cheer you the next

by Jim on Aug 8, 2007 at 8:57 pm

24. @Mike R.: I couldn’t agree more. Our three lefty bullpen has bewildered me from day one.

by Nate on Aug 8, 2007 at 8:58 pm

25. Why did’t Leyland make that move 3 runs ago, when Young got that RBI single off of Mcbride?

by boombotti on Aug 8, 2007 at 8:58 pm

26. Bobby, that’s a terrible way to talk about the Skipper and teammates.

by Kathy on Aug 8, 2007 at 9:17 pm

27. Yeah Bobby, I have no idea why Leyland’s keeping YOU.

Can’t you Seay?

by Adam on Aug 8, 2007 at 9:27 pm

28. ha ha gascan pen

by Jim on Aug 8, 2007 at 9:33 pm

29. OMG make it stop!

Is anyone going to the game Friday. Prior to the game from 4-6:30, at the Ben & Jerry’s in the Compuware building, the Tiger Wives are going to be the ice cream scoopers for charity. We went last year and it was a lot of fun, I suggest going by there before going to the park.

by cib on Aug 8, 2007 at 9:35 pm

30. well, this is the tigers we got used to over the past couple of weeks…supposing we get through oakland (no slam dunk) we have 11 games vs the tribe and the yankees…thats the season right there…if we come out of that still in contention we have a good chance, if not i’m thinking sept will be moot.

by charlie on Aug 8, 2007 at 9:39 pm

31. Wish I could, cib. Sounds like a great time. Wonder if Pudge’s new wife will be there?

Shields sure had our number tonight.

by Kathy on Aug 8, 2007 at 9:40 pm

32. I’ll have my daughter bring her camera, Kathy, and we’ll see who we can find!

Just one of those nights I guess, I’m going to go watch Rescue Me. ‘Night, all!!

by cib on Aug 8, 2007 at 9:52 pm

33. 10.12 ERA reliever strikes out the Tiger side in the B9th?

Happy 25th Anniversary, Bilfer!

by Tram Fan on Aug 8, 2007 at 10:08 pm

34. On another note: Marcus Thames went 2 for 4 and hit a HR!!!

He’s baaaaack!

by Kathy on Aug 8, 2007 at 10:09 pm

35. I’m not overly disappointed with this game. James Shields has been money for the season despite his recent struggles and we’re continuing with this 3 LH specialist and trying to make them into something they aren’t.

by Mike R on Aug 8, 2007 at 10:11 pm

36. I’m back from the game – what a miserable night. The most fun I had was booing Grilli on his way in and out. Why he is still on the roster is beyond me. Shields was lights-out, but 16 hits for the Rays? The whole pitching staff from top to bottom is stinking the joint out right now.

This does not look like a playoff team.

by Tbone on Aug 8, 2007 at 11:12 pm

37. Oh – and the Tigers are now 1-6 in games I’ve attended this season. I had a better record in ’03!

by Tbone on Aug 8, 2007 at 11:14 pm

38. Please Tbone, stop attending games until ’08.

by Chris on Aug 8, 2007 at 11:49 pm

39. I’ll defend my boos, billfer. I was booing Grilli for his performance last night that I did not witness live and I was booing Leyland for bringing him in and I was booing DD for allowing this guy to still be in the bigs.

That was one economical BOO in my book.

by Tbone on Aug 8, 2007 at 11:50 pm

40. Tbone, if the Tigers make the playoffs,

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO ATTEND!!!

It’s a sacrifice you’ll have to make for good of the team. Also, stop going this year too, thanks!

by Kurt on Aug 9, 2007 at 12:04 am

41. White Sox win, Beat Indians!

by Chris on Aug 9, 2007 at 12:30 am

42. We are still just 1/2 game back ladies and gents. The White Sox were down 4-3 in the 12th and AJ hit a HR off Borowski to tie it, then Uribe hit a 2R HR to win it in the 13th to win 6-4…glad I stayed up to watch it now!

by Chris in Nashville on Aug 9, 2007 at 12:30 am

43. Ha ha go uribe!

I’ll be at the afternoon game tommorw can’t wait! we’re gonna pound kazmir, and if we don’t we’ll beat the bullpen.

I figure if Kazmir strikes out ten of us he’ll still be out by the sixth

by Jim on Aug 9, 2007 at 12:34 am

44. One run. This team is schizoid. Not much emotion. Very bothersome. One step forward, two steps back. It’s as if they can’t stand success.

by ron on Aug 9, 2007 at 2:17 am

45. Uribe had to do something to atone for his mistakes. He dropped a pop-up that allowed the go-ahead run to score before AJ tied it on the HR in the 12th.

Kazmir very well could strike out 10 and be at 80 pitches through 6 innings. That’s what scares me. Especially with a lineup that will probably have Infante and Monroe with Raburn scattered in there and Sheff probably taking the day game after a night game off.

by Mike R on Aug 9, 2007 at 2:37 am

46. this is just modern baseball: you have to out-score your opponent. we didn’t do that and the credit goes to shields

TB put a a-game pitcher in; we didn’t have anyone to counter with and you see the result

I thought Grilli did descent. McBride was shaky

I’m looking forward to the game today because I like what I’m hearing. little clues here and there like Robertson sdaying on pre-game “i’m trying to do too much” like attempting to keep the ball away from the hitter instead of attempting to get the guy to swing at something that has got a little movement to it at the plate. that is the Art of Pitching.

now I heard last night Bondo sez he plans to do better in today’s outing & I’m looking for ward to it cuz right now I have a good feeling about this and that is that hopefully our pitching staff is recognizing that attempting to keep the ball away from the hitter is gonna land you with a 3-0 count and then a home run

inducing the hitter to swing is key and ya do that the pitch NEEDS tio have some LATE MOVEMENT on it unless ya wanna get pounded. It’s a tall order I know buty hey — we are playing MLB– right?

by Bill A \ Kal MI on Aug 9, 2007 at 9:07 am

47. Billfer — make sure you post the “70′s version of Inge from last night too — the male version of the Farrah flip fit quite nicely on him and, almost (unfortunately), made my oldest son want to cut his hair. Also unfortunately, the pictures were pretty much the highlight of the game. Twice this year Tigers have made Shields look like Cy Young.

by SJC in Detroit on Aug 9, 2007 at 9:10 am

48. Bill A. \ Kal MI wrote:

this is just modern baseball: you have to out-score your opponent.

I’m fairly certain that, in every era of baseball, modern or otherwise, outscoring your opponent has been a prerequisite for victory. :)

by Nate on Aug 9, 2007 at 10:35 am

49. Tigers have made Shields look like Cy Young.

yeah yeah yeah the man has 58 K vs 10 BB in his last 10 outings.

he’s good.

by Bill A \ Kal MI on Aug 9, 2007 at 11:29 am

50. Did we sign Royce Clayton yet?

by Coach Jim on Aug 9, 2007 at 1:27 pm

51. [...] where I hand it over to you the readers. Earlier this year I celebrated the 25th anniversary of my first Tigers game. I was able to pinpoint the date by searching through [...]

by The Detroit Tiger Weblog » Blog Archive » Pinch Hitting: First game memories on Oct 3, 2007 at 10:40 pm