PREGAME: I’ll be heading down to tonight’s game. I actually picked out these tickets prior to the season because tonight is the 25th anniversary of my very first Tigers game. I don’t remember many details about the game, but I do remember that it was a twi-night doubleheader against the Blue Jays and that Kirk Gibson was on the DL with a broken wrist. I remember Gibson not playing because he was sitting in the stands a few rows in front of me. That information was enough for me to id the game on retrosheet.
As for tonight’s game it will be Chad Durbin returning to the rotation. He’ll be taking on James Shields who has been quite good for most of the year and shut down the Tigers in May. However, he has struggled in his last 5 starts posting a 7.39 ERA with batters hitting 322/385/559 against him.
POSTGAME: You know that first doubleheader I went to the Tigers allowed 7 runs in both games. Maybe there is something there.
- I’m a little frustrated with the Tigers offense. When they put runners at first and second with nobody out and a chance to tie the game, or at least get it to one run and ended up going down on 3 straight K’s pretty much sealed the game right there.
- But at the same time Shields is a decent pitcher, and if POlanco strikes out twice in one night, I have to believe the pitcher deserves a little credit.
- And I know the game was out of hand in the 8th, but 4 K’s in 2 innings against that bullpen isn’t acceptable.
- I thought the boos for Grilli were excessive. I’m not saying he’s good, but what was the point when he entered the game tonight. I guess it’s everyone’s right to do what they want, I just don’t get it.
- I agree completely with Mike R’s comment that the bullpen is misconfigured with 3 LOOGYs. McBride was getting rocked in his 2nd inning, but circumstances that necessitate him throwing 31 pitches need to be avoided.
- The top 5 hitters in the Rays order are actually doing quite well this year, so production from the top of their order doesn’t bother me. Zorbrist and Navarro combining to reach base 5 times tonight though just can’t happen.
- On a lighter note, with it being 70′s night they doctored the photos that are displayed of the players while at-bat. These were quite amusing, and I hope to post a couple in the next couple days. But let me just say that Pudge with a full head of wavy black hair is the spitting image of Erik Estrada.