Tigers Minor League Wrap 7/22/07

by billfer on July 22, 2007 · 14 comments

in 2007 Season,Minors

Toledo 6 Richmond 0
This game was suspended after 5 innings and I’m not sure why. Virgil Vasquez was slated to start today but didn’t, which makes me think we’ll see him in Chicago on Tuesday. Anastacio Martinez started instead and pitched 2 hit ball (with 4 walks) for 5 innings. Andres Torres had 2 hits.

Erie 0 Bowie 2
Wilkin Ramirez has 3 hits and a walk. Mike Hollimon struck out his first 4 times up. Eddie Bonine allowed 2 runs on 5 hits, 2 walks, and 5 K’s in 6 innings.

Tampa 4 Lakeland 0
Yeah, they were no hit today. Jose Veras and Daniel McCutchen combined for the no-no, but it was of the 7 inning variety. Angel Castro allowed all 4 runs working 6 innings and allowing 7 hits.

Tampa 4 Lakeland 3
Michael Hernandez had 2 hits and a walk. Kyle Sleeth allowed all 4 runs in 4 2/3 innings of work. He allowed 6 hits, 2 walks, and fanned 4.

West Michigan 5 Burlington 3
Joe Tucker went 2 for 4. Ryan Strieby doubled and drove in 3. Brennan Boesch drew 3 walks. Jonah Nickerson allowed 2 runs on 7 hits, 1 walk, and 5 K’s in 6 innings. Brett Jensen picked up his 19th save allowing one hit.

Oneonta 4 Mahoning Valley 0
Justin Henry, Cory Middleton, and Ronnie Bourquin each had 2 hits. Sean Finefrock pitched a 1 hitter over 8 innings while fanning 3 and walking 1.

{ 14 comments }

Chief July 22, 2007 at 11:01 pm

Isn’t that Toledo game the one from last night that got suspended b/c of the Bomb threat?

Kathy July 22, 2007 at 11:02 pm
Kathy July 22, 2007 at 11:03 pm

I just had to know why!

Nate July 23, 2007 at 9:00 am

If Vasquez does pitch in the double-header, I’m pretty sure Dead Rabbit owes Mark S. some beer:

[blockquote]Mark S. if he starts another game and does not let up 4 or more runs meet me at a game of your choice and you will have a ticket and all the beer you can drink on me. You won’t even have to hang out with me. Just go to my section for your beverages.[/blockquote]

Coach Jim July 23, 2007 at 11:43 am
cib July 23, 2007 at 11:55 am

What a horrible accident. So much for all of our moaning and groaning about 2 losses to KC.

Keith G. July 23, 2007 at 1:59 pm

This is sad news, but I don’t get the “one of our own” comment. How is he termed as “one of our own”? By “our” I guess I mean the Tiger organization.

T Smith July 23, 2007 at 2:07 pm

I think Coach Jim is talking, in general, about the greater fraternity of baseball — but of course, Coach Jim is actually a coach, so the comment makes perfect sense to me.

In any case, my thoughts go out to his family.

tiff July 23, 2007 at 3:10 pm

It seems the Tigers have brought up Hessman, and sent Timo Perez down back to Toledo.

New rule: No more Perez’s play for the Tigers.

T Smith July 23, 2007 at 3:43 pm

Hmmm. I’ve said it before, based on nothing but pure speculation (which was quickly debunked by Billfer and the more versed at DTW) that the Tigers were trying to deal Hessman. Although it seems just as easy to showcase him from Toledo, if we all of a sudden see scouts from Houston peeking about, I foresee a possible Hessman-plus-prospects package for Lidge ?? Maybe the Astos what to see how he looks at this level?

Of course there is the more sensible explanation that Hessman is coming up to platoon with/back up Casey at first… but do we really need that role filled, given Guillen can fill the backup role, if need be, until Thames returns, with Infante filling the void?

Kyle J July 23, 2007 at 4:52 pm

Tigers website confirms Hessman move:

Could just be that Monroe’s OK now so they can live with four outfielders (including Sheffield).

More pessimistic outlook is that Thames’ prognosis has worsened and they want a clear first base alternative on the roster.

Hopefully, Mr. Smith is correct in his speculation and we can get some value for Hessman in a trade.

Mike R July 23, 2007 at 8:27 pm

If Hessman and a prospect brings back Brad Lidge, I am buying the Astros and firing everyone ever involved in that organization just purely for the sake of their fans’ sanity.

Matt in Toledo July 23, 2007 at 10:57 pm

Considering Hessman has been a minor league free agent every offseason since 2004, the team that trades for him now should have to wear the “World’s Stupidest GM” cap for the rest of the season.

Stephen July 23, 2007 at 11:02 pm

If Hessman and a prospect bring back the bones of Aurelio Lopez i will be shocked.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post:

Switch to our mobile site