links for 2007-07-30

1. Mike R

July 30, 2007 at 3:32 pm

Oh god no. What need does Jack Wilson address? Another dead bat in the lineup? Inge/Monroe not a good enough combo of guys that are overpaid and not hitting so we look to add Jack Wilson? are you kidding me? If that happens this season is terribly lost.

07 salary: $5.25
    08: $6.5
    09: $7.25
    $8.4 million club option in 2010.

No thanks. Not even if Pittsburgh foots 100% of the bill.

2. Jeff

July 30, 2007 at 4:10 pm

Agree with you completely about Jack Wilson, Mike. What a bizarre idea. Even if he came cheap I wouldn’t like it. He’s less of an offensive presence than Sean Casey, so if you shift Guillen to first and put Wilson at short, you’ve just weakened your offense. And he’s more expensive than Casey too.

I don’t get this love affair with weak-hitting shortstops. The Tigers spent 15 years having a love affair with fast but weak-hitting center fielders and look what that got them.

3. Ian C.

July 30, 2007 at 4:17 pm

Not to overreact, but I think you’re right about not being able to count in Miller in September. So is starting pitching suddenly a concern on this team? Hopefully, Kenny Rogers is back by then. But Nate Robertson has been a question mark all season long. So that leaves two dependable starters?

I’m getting light-headed over here.

4. Mike R

July 30, 2007 at 4:38 pm

And the Braves are literally cleaning out their farm system. The Teixeira trade shipped out their 3 best prospects, and 2 more of their top 10 + Kyle Davies could be on the way to KC for Dotel. It’s still a rumor, but if it happens, the Braves system went for solid to one of the worst in the majors.

5. Ryan

July 30, 2007 at 4:53 pm

I think the point of Jack Wilson is to take over Neifi’s old spot. If Pittsburgh picks up enough salary to get him down to 2 mill or less, he would certainly be a welcome replacement for Neifi as a backup defense-first middle infielder.

6. billfer

July 30, 2007 at 7:58 pm

Ian – it’ll help that in September the Tigers can load the roster and have Tatas, and Vasquezs, and Bazardos make some starts instead of Miller.

Yes, Jack Wilson is awful. He’s like a more expensive version of Neifi Perez without the ability to even steal a base (0 for 3 this year). That the Tigers would give up anything for him would be sheer idiocy. He will be placed on waivers after July 31st and will go unclaimed.

7. Shane trapped in Athens, Ohio

July 30, 2007 at 8:32 pm

I guess I was always under the impression the the Tigers would shut down Miller some time in August and bring back Durbin. Does the organization think differently? I really do not think that his arm will last more than a few more weeks. Does anybody know their plans?

8. Jeff

July 30, 2007 at 8:44 pm

By September the Tigers can bring up a number of minor league starters to fill any gaps, so “replacing” starters at that point is less of an issue. Remember 1984, the two wins leading to the division title were started by O’Neal and Mason, two rookies.

9. T Smith

July 30, 2007 at 8:59 pm

Jeff:

Yeah I remember. The difference being, in 1984, the Tigers were umpteen games ahead of the pack and could afford to lose those games and rest the starters.

10. Mike R

July 30, 2007 at 9:25 pm

Yeah. I’m just going to pre-emptively voice my displeasure for Jordan Tata if he’s starting any crucial game after tonight for the Tigers.