Game 90: Tigers at Mariners

PREGAME: The Tigers will try to salvage a split in their first post ASB series. They’ll face Jeff Weaver, who they lit up earlier in the year. Of course at the time Weaver was getting lit up by everyone. However in his last 4 starts he has a 0.98 ERA in 27 1/3 innings. He’s only allowed 1 homer in that time span and opponents are hitting just 208/266/287.

But the Tigers have a pretty good pitcher of their own taking the mound in Justin Verlander. Verlander has turned into a strikeout machine with 47 K’s in his last 41 innings pitched.

Game Time 4:05pm

POSTGAME
That was an interesting game. You had the slugfest thing going on for the Tigers with 3 homers. But there was the small ball thing with 5 stolen bases. Justin Verlander struck out the side in the first inning, but only after 2 hits, a walk, and a wild pitch resulted in a run. It took Verlander 31 pitches to get through that first inning, but he only threw 77 over the next 6 innings.

Three runs scored on wild pitches in the game. Sean Casey stole a base, and without a bobble or bad throw or being on the backend of a double steal. Gary Sheffield even stole home.

In any case, a split is fine. Let’s take on the Twins.

DET @ SEA, Sunday, July 15, 2007 Game Preview – Baseball-Reference.com

Posted by on July 15, 2007.

Categories: 2007 Season, Game Post

1. I was absolutely incensed after watching the noon Baseball Tonight and hearing Steve Phillips and John Kruk add themselves to those screaming that Gary Sheffield is wrong and needs to shut up. I think it’s telling that hours after he made his last round of comments about Torre and the Yankees, Kenny Lofton was backing him up, saying “Gary knows what he’s talking about”. I also think Gary has been in enough places to diagnose one that is abnormally racist. To dismiss his comments out of hand like most of the media has is an absolute travesty, not to mention quite a snobbish, holier-than-thou thing to do. As for the comment about Jeter not being all the way black, I don’t see the issue. It is very germane to his discussion that, despite being half black, he does not look black. Ninety years ago, I believe it was called “passing”. I’m also pretty sure he wasn’t casting aspersions which would imply that his own half black/half white children are somehow inferior to those that are ‘all the way black’; it is just a fact that racism tends to target those that look and sound black rather than those that are black. As everyone knows, the truth tends to lie in the middle. If the truth is in the middle here, the Yankees have a serious problem. Is Gary bitter? Sure. Could he use a year in tact school? Most definitely. But as far as I can tell, besides Jeter, the only American born black player on the Yankees 40-man roster is a backup outfielder. That sort of makes me think that maybe he’s not just being ‘crazy Gary’. Sheff’s not always right. But I’d always rather know more than know less. Does a fear of racism fuel the lack of american blacks in baseball? It’s hard to think that it doesn’t. If Gary is putting his butt on the line to shed a little light on it, he deserves to be celebrated rather than mocked. Sorry to ramble, but like I said, I’m angry.

by Ryan on Jul 15, 2007 at 3:28 pm

2. Buster Olney wrote this:
    Sheffield has his perspective. So does Darryl Strawberry, an African-American who wept on the steps of City Hall after the Yankees won the World Series in 1999 and thanked Torre, in particular, for being there for him. And so does Derek Jeter, who — regardless of how Sheffield defines race — has an African-American father and a white mother, and has always had the highest regard for Torre, as have many other former teammates and friends and players — Paul O’Neill, Bob Gibson, Bernie Williams, Andy Pettitte, Yogi Berra, Roger Clemens, Mariano Rivera. White, black, Latin American. (It must come as a great surprise to the esteemed Charles Jeter, by the way, to hear from Sheffield that his son is not African-American. Derek Jeter “just ain’t all the way black,” Sheffield said.)

by Stephen on Jul 15, 2007 at 3:50 pm

3. Daryl Strawberry is one of those “yes sa, yes boss” types. He wouldn’t have the balls to say what he really felt. If Joe Torre treated his black players like Sheff said, it’s Joe Torre’s problem but I doubt if he’ll ever own it.

by Kathy on Jul 15, 2007 at 4:07 pm

4. What is their dysfunction in Seattle? Why can they not start a baseball game at the correct time? I understand if its 1:06 for a 1:05 game, but this entire series has started atleast 6 or 7 minutes late. Its annoying

by Jason from Somewhere on Jul 15, 2007 at 4:09 pm

5. Wow, you guys are willing to trash Torre’s sterling reputation based on the statements of Sheffield and Lofton, two of baseball’s Hall of Fame malcontents? Between the two of them, I think they’ve been on 12-13 teams. After a while, you gotta look at yourself and take some responsibilty that it might be as much your fault as the boss man.
    And I never ever heard Daryl Strawberry described as a ‘yes sa, yes boss’ type. One of the reasons Strawberry isn’t going to the Hall of Fame is because he never listened to anyone, black or white.

by Stephen on Jul 15, 2007 at 4:12 pm

6. That 1st pitch DP sure was frustrating.

by Kevin in Austin on Jul 15, 2007 at 4:13 pm

7. I see pudge is out today; i know it’s a day game after a night game, but is he serving the suspension?

If not, he should just go get it over with.

by Eric Jackson on Jul 15, 2007 at 4:20 pm

8. Anyone watching this on MLB Extra Innings in NYC? I got a bunch of games but the Tigers game isn’t one of them.

by Stephen on Jul 15, 2007 at 4:24 pm

9. I see the MLB extra innings is still on preview, but I can’t find the Tigers game. Is it some sort of blackout? If anyone knows, post it up.

by Ryan S on Jul 15, 2007 at 4:25 pm

10. Man, i’d be really annoyed if i was paying.

by Stephen on Jul 15, 2007 at 4:26 pm

11. I think the 4:00 games fall under ESPN’s exclusivity rights, because Sunday Night Baseball starts early tonight.

by Nate on Jul 15, 2007 at 4:30 pm

12. Nate, I bet you’re right. That blows and that’s the kind b.s. rights thing that makes me skip out from purchasing these plans. If you can’t watch a game on Sunday afternoon what is the point?

by Stephen on Jul 15, 2007 at 4:49 pm

13. I can’t watch the game because ESPN must show me the scintillating Cards-Phils matchup early so they can show the utterly pointless Jimmy Kimmel hosted ESPYs. Good times.

by Stephen on Jul 15, 2007 at 4:51 pm

14. Honestly, this is the first time that ESPN’s exclusivity has messed with the Tigers. If you were a subscriber, the network that you’d really hate is FOX, because they eliminate almost every Saturday afternoon game. I’ve been stuck with the Cubs almost every weekend.

by Nate on Jul 15, 2007 at 5:02 pm

15. In general, if you’re out of market, I think the package is worth it, assuming you have the money and watch a lot of baseball. I haven’t lost that many games to blackout and have gotten to know a lot of baseball teams that otherwise I wouldn’t have watched much.

by Nate on Jul 15, 2007 at 5:08 pm

16. I am trying to watch on MLB.TV and was able to get the first inning, but now I can’t connect and get the game, neither the TV broadcast or either radio broadcast. Very frustrating. Is anyone else using MLB.TV and having probs?

by Mark in Chicago on Jul 15, 2007 at 5:16 pm

17. Can someone who can actually see the game explain how Casey stole a base?

by Nate on Jul 15, 2007 at 5:20 pm

18. Wait a minute. Did that just happen?

by Kevin in Austin on Jul 15, 2007 at 5:21 pm

19. casey is so fast.

by Stephen on Jul 15, 2007 at 5:21 pm

20. A missed hit and run and casey just beat it.

by billfer on Jul 15, 2007 at 5:22 pm

21. Rabelo missed the hit and run. Casey almost took the bag out of the ground. Awesome.

by boombotti on Jul 15, 2007 at 5:22 pm

22. I’m on MLB.tv. Try logging off and logging back on.

by Kevin in Austin on Jul 15, 2007 at 5:25 pm

23. Casey could have a 30/30…er…03/03 season.

by Nate on Jul 15, 2007 at 5:25 pm

24. Granderson is crushing the ball this series.

by boombotti on Jul 15, 2007 at 5:29 pm

25. I (heart) Granderson.

by Kevin in Austin on Jul 15, 2007 at 5:29 pm

26. I (heart) Thames.

by Kevin in Austin on Jul 15, 2007 at 5:31 pm

27. That’s Mr. Marcus Markley Thames.

by Stephen on Jul 15, 2007 at 5:33 pm

28. can anyone explain to me how thames has trouble getting into the lineup every day…and while we are on the subject why would you ever sit granderson…ever?

by charlie on Jul 15, 2007 at 5:33 pm

29. Extra innings kinda sucks. I’ve been more than satisfied with watching games on my computer for half the price the past 3 seasons.

by Joey C. on Jul 15, 2007 at 5:34 pm

30. granderson is going to be an all-star real soon.

by charlie on Jul 15, 2007 at 5:36 pm

31. I use MLB.tv on my laptop, and then bought for a 22″ LCD monitor – well worth it for when I’m at my desk. But the great thing about MLB.tv is that I can access it on any computer…

Also, you can split the subscription to MLB.tv with a friend…or so I’ve heard.

by Kevin in Austin on Jul 15, 2007 at 5:39 pm

32. charlie:

Granderson is hitting .151 vs lefties.

by Vince in MN on Jul 15, 2007 at 5:39 pm

33. I’m sure that everybody is as sick of Inge striking out as I am and he’s on pace to set a new personal high this year.

by Jonathon on Jul 15, 2007 at 5:39 pm

34. thanks vince. that would be a pretty good reason lol.

by charlie on Jul 15, 2007 at 5:44 pm

35. It took restarting the PC, but I finally got MLB.TV working again. Thanks for the help, Kevin in Austin.

by Mark in Chicago on Jul 15, 2007 at 5:45 pm

36. Jonathan:

Time to get the hammer out.

by Vince in MN on Jul 15, 2007 at 5:46 pm

37. mark

i had a problem also in the third inning but all is ok now

by charlie on Jul 15, 2007 at 5:47 pm

38. So Sheffield will get another HBP? Or will they plunk Granderson who has 3 hits, or Thames who has the homer?

by billfer on Jul 15, 2007 at 5:52 pm

39. I’m thinking Weaver plunks somebody. We all know first hand what a baby that guy can be.

by Mark in Chicago on Jul 15, 2007 at 6:00 pm

40. “I’m sure that everybody is as sick of Inge striking out as I am”

I don’t mind the strikeouts, since he walks enough to maintain a pretty good OBA. The players that irk me are guys like Pudge, who generally has an OBA about ten points higher than his batting average.

by Dave Wagner on Jul 15, 2007 at 6:05 pm

41. 85% chance: FSN will cut to Weaver in the bullpen throwing things

by Dave Wagner on Jul 15, 2007 at 6:06 pm

42. You know, really not that bad of a pitch.

by Kevin in Austin on Jul 15, 2007 at 6:11 pm

43. Now would be a good time for Magglio to get the ball out of the infield for the first time this series.

by billfer on Jul 15, 2007 at 6:12 pm

44. True Dave, it just seems like he K’s at the worst times. The catch from last night though bides him a few weeks of complaints from me.

by Jonathon on Jul 15, 2007 at 6:13 pm

45. Sheff is such a smart baserunner, I had no idea he was this good.

by Mark in Chicago on Jul 15, 2007 at 6:21 pm

46. Sheffield credited with steal of home. That Mariners catcher not have a good day

by Stephen on Jul 15, 2007 at 6:22 pm

47. When was the last time a Tiger stole home?

by Vince in MN on Jul 15, 2007 at 6:24 pm

48. I (heart) Sheffield. Even if he’s nuts.

by Adam on Jul 15, 2007 at 6:24 pm

49. Sheffield’s traditionally not considered a great baserunner. He hasn’t had 20 plus stolen bases since 1990. To his credit, since he’s resting his body by not playing the field, he’s putting a lot of energy and intensity into his baserunning. Which is now awesome.

by Stephen on Jul 15, 2007 at 6:26 pm

50. Damn, sheff stole home? I was out getting a pizza. That sucks I missed that.

by Mike R on Jul 15, 2007 at 6:32 pm

51. I actually hadn’t thought of crediting his improved baserunning to the switch to DH, but it makes sense

by Dave Wagner on Jul 15, 2007 at 6:32 pm

52. And on Sheff’s comments: I 100% back up and thought he was spot on with his comments on blacks vs. latin players. With these comments, I’m not so sure. Some of it may be true, but just because 1 or 2 guys (lofton and Sheffield) felt slighted by the Yankee organization and they thought it was based on race, doesn’t make the Yankees racist. It makes them victims of a bad experience that they are attributing to their race.

by Mike R on Jul 15, 2007 at 6:33 pm

53. OMAR has two hits. Touch ‘em all.

by Adam on Jul 15, 2007 at 6:34 pm

54. infante homers. that’s two amazing events in this game now.

by Dave Wagner on Jul 15, 2007 at 6:35 pm

55. Basically when Casey stole second I knew this was going to be a good day.

by Adam on Jul 15, 2007 at 6:37 pm

56. charlie:

Granderson now hitting .149 vs. lefties with 25 K in 74 AB.

by Vince in MN on Jul 15, 2007 at 6:37 pm

57. Dave: 3 amazing events.

by Adam on Jul 15, 2007 at 6:38 pm

58. btw, the strike call against thames in the 6th was a joke. You know, just so long as I have some officiating to complain about.

by Dave Wagner on Jul 15, 2007 at 6:43 pm

59. I’m glad Leyland left Verlander in there. Those extra runs helped.

by Kevin in Austin on Jul 15, 2007 at 6:47 pm

60. Wow! That first blog was the longest one I ever saw on this site. He was angry!!

by ron on Jul 15, 2007 at 6:50 pm

61. Not only did he just homer, but that was Ordonez’s second hit to the outfield today. This makes me very happy.

by Dave Wagner on Jul 15, 2007 at 6:53 pm

62. nice

by Dead Rabbit on Jul 15, 2007 at 6:54 pm

63. Good to see an XBH from Maggs.

by Kevin in Austin on Jul 15, 2007 at 6:55 pm

64. vince

it just dropped again…good point. guess he will have to learn to hit lefties before he’s an all-star…i do like his d and his work vs righties.

by charlie on Jul 15, 2007 at 7:11 pm

65. charlie:

Granderson kills righties. Here are his splits before today:

Obviously he shouldn’t start against lefties, on turf, during the day
    ;-)

by Vince in MN on Jul 15, 2007 at 7:17 pm

66. Gameday has Zach throwing a 97 mph fastball.

by Dave Wagner on Jul 15, 2007 at 7:17 pm

67. seriously, infante, what the hell

by Dave Wagner on Jul 15, 2007 at 7:23 pm

68. Let the rabble rain down on Sheff… Phillips, Kruk, and anyone else so inclined to expose their bias.

I reserve all judgement; athough I can’t say I take no amusement from all the feathers ruffled from what otherwise should be valid commentary.

by T Smith on Jul 15, 2007 at 7:23 pm

69. Alright, enough screwing around already.

by Vince in MN on Jul 15, 2007 at 7:24 pm

70. Goodness. End this game now, PLEASE.

by Mark in Chicago on Jul 15, 2007 at 7:24 pm

71. they listened to you, Mark

by Dave Wagner on Jul 15, 2007 at 7:25 pm

72. Miner…if you were going to suck, at least you picked today.

Inge is the only infielder worthy of a pat on the back tonight. Inge and Casey. That’s all.

by Adam on Jul 15, 2007 at 7:25 pm

73. That was not pretty. At least it’s a win.

On to Minnesota, hopefully Monroe can bust out of his slump.

by Mark in Chicago on Jul 15, 2007 at 7:27 pm

74. Ryan may be on to something. I’m waiting for Bernie Williams to chime in.If it’s no comment than I’ll take that as pro Sheff. I think Bernie is a descent enough fellow to tell the truth even though he may have an ax to grind with the Yankees himself that has nothing to do with racism [I think].

by ron on Jul 15, 2007 at 7:30 pm

75. Looks like it will be Garza, Baker and Santana for the Twins; Robertson, Miller and Bondo for the Tigs. Gotta take 2 of 3 from the Twins. They swept Oakland this weekend and are on a bit of a roll. The Indians are at home against the WSox, so we won’t get much help there.

by Vince in MN on Jul 15, 2007 at 7:45 pm

76. A couple thoughts from likely the last Tigers series I’ll attend at Safeco, as I’m moving to Braves country on Thursday:

Amazing what a little winning does to crowd composition. If you had asked me what Mariners fans were like, I would have said some of the best in baseball, based on my previous experiences. After this series, now that they are winning a few more games, I would completely rescind that statement. Some real characters out there that made me thankful I didn’t bring my son to any of the games. Joykillers.

As for the games, well you saw em. Officiating was far below the standard sub-par fare doled out this year by the AL officials. Froemming needs to hang it up.

Inge’s play into the stands last night, from behind home plate, was incredible. It looked like he completely disappeared.

Maggs got quite an ovation during BP Sat night as he put 2/3 (maybe 20 of 30) balls into the stands — several in places I’ve never seen balls go in Safeco. Pudge checked Maggs’ bat rather jokingly afterward. Thames spent alot of time with the fans. Still not sure how we didn’t pound Batista; not sure his stuff was any better than Rogers — which was poor.

I wish the Mariners well, but they got a gift Friday and the Tigers should have put a few more runs up on Sat. The Mariners current record is the partial result of playing Texas and Oakland half the time. With their SP and weak DH, 1B (can anyone say Richie Mendoza?) and corner outfield positions, I don’t expect them to stick around much longer. They do have a junior league sked working in their favor, though.

FWIW, the Seattle fans and sports editors all love the Ichiro deal at 18 mil per. May they rest in peace.

by Chris Y. on Jul 15, 2007 at 7:59 pm

77. Chris Y….thank you for sharing you experiences at the game. I love hearing about the details at the game that we can’t see on TV . Now, I know this is a joke to everybody, if I’d known you were there, I would have asked you to look at Pudges left hand and see if he’s wearing a wedding band!!

by Kathy on Jul 15, 2007 at 8:30 pm

78. Sure hope Verlander didn’t break Ichiro’s kneecap! A few milliimeters in a different direction and the Mariners have the baseball equivalent of the Magic’s Grant Hill contract.

by Stephen on Jul 15, 2007 at 9:45 pm

79. Well, we got the split that I was hoping for after Friday’s win. We needed to slow Seattle’s roll a little bit and I think we did that. Thank goodness for Sheff. He’s been way more productive than I had hoped he would be. I was just hoping for about 25 HR (over the full season) and maybe 90 RBI. He’s on pace to blow those numbers out of the water. The real bonus is his baserunning. I had no idea that Sheff could run this well, none at all. Being 38, I thought he’d strictly contribute with his bat instead of his bat and legs. On a side note it was so good to see Maggs driving the ball again. The guy had turned into Ichiro the last month with his hits being almost exclusively singles. When Maggs is driving the ball like he did today, this offense is the best in baseball. When Maggs does not drive the ball for extra bases, this offense becomes a half-step above pedestrian.

by Keith G. on Jul 15, 2007 at 11:01 pm

80. O.K. Granderson is going to pull an Yzerman. I don’t see him in nothing but a Detroit uniform for the next 20 years. He is soooo good.

by ron on Jul 16, 2007 at 12:24 am

81. charlie: Granderson is an All Star this season, just wasn’t on the team. Other than Ichiro, he is the all around best CF in the game.

ron: I hope Granderson does pull an Yzerman.

Working afternoons/evenings sucks. So I missed an Infante homer, a Sheffield steal of home, Maggs ending his XBH drought, AND Casey stole a base!!!! What’s next, I miss Verlander throw a no-no?

And Keith G., you wouldn’t happen to be from Lincoln Park, would you? There can’t be too many Keith G’s out there, but I’m one too.

by Keith on Jul 16, 2007 at 3:01 am

82. Does anyone know when Suzuki switched to CF? I remember going to many Tigers-Mariners games a few years back and he was always in RF.

by Jason on Jul 16, 2007 at 8:48 am

83. He switched to center last year (August 20) and has started there ever since. He had always been in right prior to that.

by Tony P on Jul 16, 2007 at 10:10 am

84. Kathy – I was watching “Detroit Tigers Weekly” and they interviewed the players about going to the all-star game, Ilitch used the plane to get everyone there with their families, and Pudge mentioned his WIFE. So he must have gotten remarried after the infamous divorce that allegedly precipitated all of his issues with Tram a few years ago. Some people never learn!!!

by cib on Jul 16, 2007 at 11:10 am

85. @Ron and Keith: Even in this day and age, it seems improbable that Granderson will play until he’s 46. He’s not as young as he looks. 20 years is probably impossible for him.

by Nate on Jul 16, 2007 at 11:38 am

86. I actually had a dream last night that Granderson was traded mid-season. I don’t remember to who or who we received in return, but it was actually a nightmarish moment of panic. I remember thinking to myself…..”Why would they do this? I mean did they think he had reached his height of potential this year and will sell for more than he’s worth.” This dream signifies that I might need a life outside of watching the tigers and blogging every night. He didn’t get traded did he?

by Ken in Cincinnati on Jul 16, 2007 at 12:08 pm

87. HEY GORDIE HOWE PLAYED HOCKEY IN HIS 50′S. ALL RIGHT GIVE US 15 YEARS.

by ron on Jul 16, 2007 at 12:13 pm

88. There are very few players I would trade for Granderson, straight up. He might be near his peak as a player, but his attitude is exceptional. Right now he’s in the upper echelon of CFs in the majors, and could stay there for the next half-decade.

In the middle of last season you couldn’t really say who in the OF Maybin would eventually replace. Now, its pretty much a guarantee that it will be Monroe/Thames. That, to me, is a credit to Curtis.

by Anthony on Jul 16, 2007 at 1:23 pm

89. cib……..thank you, thank you, thank you. I thought I heard the same thing (and he said it very quitely and you could see the ring on his finger). At first I thought maybe he remarried Maribel. Pudge has a new look to him. He never used to wear his socks up. Whoever she is would have to be good with his kids before he’d ever marry her.

by Kathy on Jul 16, 2007 at 1:36 pm

90. The real sign of his 2nd wife’s influence will be if Pudge starts taking more pitches.

by Stephen on Jul 16, 2007 at 2:53 pm

91. …or how many times he gets thrown out of a game for advancing a non-winnable argument… Some things are just better left “at work.”

by T Smith on Jul 16, 2007 at 4:06 pm

92. I too was at the Series at Safeco. And I also noticed a lot more jerkaholics at the games than usual. It was great to see Casey steal 2nd, the guy next to me said, you don’t have to worry about him running, just pitch the ball. and Boom, he’s off of to the…um well….races.

Grandy was just ON this series. M’s fans were glad when he didnt start game 2. That was the most balls I’ve seen fly out of Safeco during a series.

Another thing I didn’t know, a lot of Tigers were signing autographs sunday, I got Nates and noticed he was writing with his right hand, I said, ‘hey I thought you’re a lefty!’ he laughed and said ‘yeah i’m all messed up.’

Friday I went to Die Hard during the day, I sit down, look over, oh thats Todd Jones next to me!

Froemming – ugh. Being in the stands trying to explain what just happened to Tigs fan from the UK was interesting to say the least!

by Joey the K on Jul 16, 2007 at 7:00 pm

93. Looks like we’ll be one game up.

by ron on Jul 16, 2007 at 9:28 pm

94. [...] Joey the K: I too was at the Series at Safeco. And I also noticed a lot more… [...]

by The Detroit Tiger Weblog » Blog Archive » The DTW West Coast Correspondents on Jul 16, 2007 at 9:41 pm

95. The palehose are going to blow this game. Can we get a little help here.

by ron on Jul 16, 2007 at 10:22 pm

96. I wonder if Joey K had to explain the Infield Fly Rule to the fan from the UK. Now that would be interesting.

Paul M.