Game 85: Red Sox at Tigers
PREGAME: The Tigers look to extend their winning streak to 4 games tonight and they’ll send Jeremy Bonderman to the mound to do it.
Bonderman is coming off the stellar 8 inning shut out performance from Sunday night. He hasn’t faced Boston this year, but he did out duel Curt Schilling last year in Boston. It was a great win, but also the game that cost the Tigers Placido Polanco.
Kason Gabbard will be making his 3rd start of the season. He has struck out more than a batter an inning in that sting, but he has also walked 10 in his last 2 starts.
Game Time 7:05pm
POSTGAME Didn’t it have to be number 7 Pudge Rodriguez with the walk off double on 7/7/07? Just a tremendous game tonight, and unlike the extra innings Cleveland game the good guys won.
- It’s pretty remarkable that the Tigers held the Red Sox scoreless for 12 innings. Bonderman and the Tigers bullpen turned in an incredible effort. If it weren’t for that pesky first inning.
- Although it’s hard to comment too much on it because we didn’t see it. Instead we were held captive by Fox’s national coverage.
- I’m tickled for Craig Monroe. He picked up Marcus Thames and knocked in 2 runs. He also laid down a nice sacrifice bunt in the 10th inning. Sure he popped up in the 11th with the bases loaded, but he was hardly alone.
- I was really rooting for the Tigers to score the winner off of Okajima. The symmetry of the Tigers cashing in on the guy that kept Bondo out of the All Star game on a night when Bondo started would have been sweet. Oh well. I guess we’ll just have to settle for scoring off of Jonathan Papelbon instead.
- The Tigers were flirting with disaster walking Ortiz to get to Manny that many times, but it paid off.
- Big time props to the whole cast of characters in the pen. Todd Jones has been great on this homestand and even had success in the 2nd inning of work tonight.
- The only downside is that the Tigers will trot out the B lineup tomorrow. Pudge will certainly get the day off, and Placido Polanco is day to day with an oblique issue. At least they’ve already taken the series.
Tigers 3, Red Sox 2