Game 75: Rangers at Tigers

PREGAME: The Tigers return home for the next couple weeks after getting through a 9 game DH-less stint with an 8-1 record.

The Tigers have struggled in the game after Sunday night games, what with getting in late and quite frankly probably being sleepy. But this time they are coming home, and it was a shorter flight, and they didn’t change time zones. So it might not be so bad.

They’ll face Kameron Loe who they saw a couple weeks ago, and knocked out with 9 runs in 2 2/3 innings. In his next start he threw 8 shutout innings against the Pirates and turned in a quality start in his last turn against the Cubs.

Jeremy Bonderman looks to extend his unbeaten streak. He’s had the benefit of some good offense his last few times out. Bonderman hasn’t recorded an out beyond the 6th inning since his first start back from the DL on May 24th.

The real question though is what Tiger will start padding his resume for player of the week honors. There’s pressure to keep it going with Carlos Guillen being the 3rd Tiger in as many weeks to pick up the award.

For more see: TEX @ DET, Monday, June 25, 2007 Game Preview – Baseball-Reference.com

Game Time 7:05

POSTGAME
: All good things must come to an end, and the winning streak is toast. I’ll give credit to the Rangers, they got in later than the Tigers this morning, and put a thumping on them. The team just looked out of sync all game. There were only a handful of hard hit balls for the Tigers. And early threats were squandered.

Jeremy Bonderman wasn’t sharp. His final numbers look okay, but he was all over with his control, especially on a routine throw to first. Eulogio De La Cruz had even more trouble and turned it into a blow out.

Jim Leyland was overmanaging early on. He had Sean Casey steal with a full count to Monroe. He sac bunted Brandon Inge in the second inning, playing for small ball with a big ball offense.

Alas, the streak is over. But at least Granderson got a triple…

Posted by on June 25, 2007.

Categories: 2007 Season, Game Post

1. Man, is it hot tonight.

by Kathy on Jun 25, 2007 at 7:20 pm

2. Which one of you stat gurus wants to tell me which catchers have caught the most no-hitters in their career? I’m not testing anyone, I just legitimately don’t know but would like to. On another note, I’m very excited about the chance to play the Rangers while the Indians play a series against Oakland. This is our chance to get 1 or 2 more games of separation.

by Ken from Cincinnati on Jun 25, 2007 at 7:21 pm

3. Uhm, er, ah, uhm, AHHHH.

At least it wans’t the first inning this time…?

by Kurt on Jun 25, 2007 at 7:58 pm

4. Exactly. Bonderman’s first inning has gained the ability to insert itself anywhere in the game…

by Ben on Jun 25, 2007 at 8:08 pm

5. C-Mo hitting a dinger would be very appreciated here.

by Walewander on Jun 25, 2007 at 8:12 pm

6. Shoulda seen that coming.

by Walewander on Jun 25, 2007 at 8:13 pm

7. Tigers look lethargic.

by Kathy on Jun 25, 2007 at 8:30 pm

8. Now would be a good time to for a 4 run rally. Not sure how long Bonderman will go tonight, but he is already at 99 pitches.

by PHT in HK on Jun 25, 2007 at 8:43 pm

9. I’ve been switching between this game and Maroth’s start for the Cardinals. I’m actually cheering for the Cardinals, and it’s making me hate myself.

by Dave Wagner on Jun 25, 2007 at 8:44 pm

10. I’ll miss him alot.

by Kathy on Jun 25, 2007 at 9:01 pm

11. C’mon, Poly.

by Kathy on Jun 25, 2007 at 9:05 pm

12. Kind of a different start for Bondo, saving his 1st inning until the 3rd.

Great job by Inge and Granderson there. One thing we’ve seen with this team is they can score runs with 2 outs.

by Anne on Jun 25, 2007 at 9:08 pm

13. Of course I was hoping for more than 1 run, but every little helps.

by Anne on Jun 25, 2007 at 9:09 pm

14. I think I’m feening for NL style ball. It’s ridiculous, but it really does have a different feel to it. I suppose I’ll be alright after a game or two.

by Kathy on Jun 25, 2007 at 9:16 pm

15. fyi Maroth has gone 7 innings with two hits allowed, and he’s still in there. He’s also made a sac bunt, a single, and made two pickoffs… a pretty spectacular debut.

by Dave Wagner on Jun 25, 2007 at 9:33 pm

16. oh yeah, he also stole a base

by Dave Wagner on Jun 25, 2007 at 9:35 pm

17. wow. i am so pissed they traded him. his blog says it all.

by Jason on Jun 25, 2007 at 9:37 pm

18. he was my favorite Tiger… it’s so bizarre to see him in a different uniform.

by Dave Wagner on Jun 25, 2007 at 9:41 pm

19. It’s safe to say the love affair with De La Cruz is officially over.

by Chris in Nashville on Jun 25, 2007 at 9:46 pm

20. I’m so glad to see Maroth do well for the Cards. I like him a lot, but he was the odd man out here and I hope he can make a difference for St Louis.

However, this doesn’t seem to be DLC’s night. Well, you win some you lose some. I guess you could say we were due. Hopefully now we’ll just come back stronger the rest of the week.

by Anne on Jun 25, 2007 at 9:50 pm

21. Here we go. C-Mo needs to step it up a notch. I am starting to like Infante as an everyday LF.

by Angus on Jun 25, 2007 at 9:54 pm

22. Tom Grieve on the Rangers TV broadcast just made a great point. The difference b/w Casey and Monroe is that at 3-1, Casey takes a pitch. Monroe “selfishly” swung at 3-1, even though we are down by 6 runs.

by Kevin in Austin on Jun 25, 2007 at 9:56 pm

23. I guess you can’t win them all.

by PHT in HK on Jun 25, 2007 at 10:02 pm

24. I’d like to thank Billfer for pointing out Maroth had a blog. I wondered what he was thinking and how he felt about the trade. What a beautiful tribute he wrote about Detroit and the fans. He’s the real deal.

by Kathy on Jun 25, 2007 at 10:05 pm

25. His numbers are not cutting it. I would rather see Infante there as an everyday player until we see some noticeable decline in his numbers. He does not have the power of Monroe but at least he puts the ball in play.

by Angus on Jun 25, 2007 at 10:06 pm

26. I know he’s not a Tiger, but on the subject of athlete blogs, I found out John Lackey of the Angels also has a blog while reading mlbtraderumors.com.

by Mike R on Jun 25, 2007 at 10:11 pm

27. I didn’t get the sac bunt in the 2nd inning. We’re facing the league’s worst pitching staff and we’ve got the best offense. no need to sacrifice an out because 9/10 games against Texas we’re going to light up the scoreboard.

by Mike R on Jun 25, 2007 at 10:36 pm

28. I would think we could get a lefty to at least platoon with Monroe in left. How much does Texas want for Lofton?? They are going no where. How about Griffey?

-Sam

by Sam on Jun 25, 2007 at 10:53 pm

29. I’m hoping Craig goes on a tear through July like he normally does and we can offer him up as trade bait. I’m fine with Thames putting up the same numbers for fractions of the cost.

by Mike R on Jun 25, 2007 at 11:25 pm

30. Kenny Lofton? He’s still a great player and he sure doesn’t look or play like he’s 40.

by Kathy on Jun 26, 2007 at 12:06 am

31. I said at the end of last season that they should have dealt Monroe, his value was never going to be higher. They could have ripped someone off. He’s the best fourth outfielder in the majors, a true AAAA All-Star.

by Anthony on Jun 26, 2007 at 12:51 am

32. I heard Griffey wants to go back to Seattle. Ironic if true.

by Anne on Jun 26, 2007 at 10:14 am

33. And on a completely irrelevant personal note, can I just say how much better Bonderman looks now that he’s let some hair grow?

by Anne on Jun 26, 2007 at 10:16 am

34. Mike Maroth pitched a wonderful game for the Cardinals. Good for him, GO CARDS!

(don’t beat me, I coach the Cardinals in 9-10 year old little league.)

by Coach Jim on Jun 26, 2007 at 11:21 am

35. Maybe we can get Mike back later in the year. In 1988 the Tigers picked up Dickie Noles from the Cubs for a player to be named later. He pitched 4 games for us. After the season the player to be named was…Dickie Noles. A couple weeks later the Cubs released him. Wacky.

by Coach Jim on Jun 26, 2007 at 11:23 am

36. The Tigers don’t travel well. The team is 13-13 in the first games of series this season. They are 32-17 in all other games.

by West Coast Tiger on Jun 26, 2007 at 3:50 pm