Game 71: Tigers at Nationals

PREGAME: The Tigers have a chance to sweep the Nationals tonight. They’ll send Jeremy Bonderman out to the mound. Bonderman has allowed 5 earned runs in 6 innings in each of his last 2 starts. His last time out he allowed 4 homers. But he also got a single so I guess that evens out.

Mike Bacsik starts for the Nationals and he throws lots of pitches. I don’t know about different pitches, just that he’s not terribly efficient. He hasn’t made it to the 6th inning in his last 3 starts.

The Tigers lineup has a different look tonight with Gary Sheffield and Placido Polanco getting the night off. Craig Monroe will bat second and Marcus Thames will hit 3rd and play first base.

For stats and such see: DET @ WSN, Wednesday, June 20, 2007 Game Preview – Baseball-Reference.com

POSTGAME: Here’s hoping that Pudge’s hamstring spasm doesn’t keep him out too long. The off day tomorrow is very fortunate. Nothing against Mike Rabelo, but I’d just assume see the Kenny Rogers-Pudge battery on Friday.

Posted by on June 20, 2007.

Categories: 2007 Season, Game Post

1. I’d rather have Pudge in the 2 hole then Monroe. I don’t get why Leyland insists on hitting him high in the order.

by Mike R on Jun 20, 2007 at 6:54 pm

2. I dont’ get why Monroe get’s to hit that high in the order. I’d rather see Pudge hit 2nd and Monroe hit lower.

by Mike R on Jun 20, 2007 at 6:56 pm

3. Re: Wil Ledezma/Macay Mcbride

It’s a trade of two guys their managers couldn’t stand to look at any more. Ledezma with his dropped ball balk and McBride’s performance on Monday night. He pitched the 9th against the Red Sox in a blowout and gave up a couple hits and a walk that made Cox bring in his closer. It seemed pretty clear Cox wasn’t going to use again. He looked pissed.

by Stephen on Jun 20, 2007 at 6:57 pm

4. Why can i not post? I don’t like Monroe in the 2 spot. I’d rather have pudge there.

by Mike R on Jun 20, 2007 at 7:00 pm

5. Sorry if this results in duplicate post but earlier one didn’t see to go through.

This seems to be the trade of two pitcher who wore out their welcomes with their managers. Ledezma had his dropped ball balk and McKay entered Monday’s game against the Red Sox in the ninth to finish a blowout and promptly gave up a couple of hits and a walk that forced Cox to bring in Wickman. Cox looked annoyed.

by Stephen on Jun 20, 2007 at 7:03 pm

6. I don’t really like Monroe in the 2 spot. I’d prefer someone like Pudge there or something.

by Mike R on Jun 20, 2007 at 7:16 pm

7. Great to see Bondo get through the first inning quickly.

by Kevin in Austin on Jun 20, 2007 at 7:19 pm

8. Whew. Post went through. I thought for a moment I’d been banned for my Maybin heresy.

by Stephen on Jun 20, 2007 at 7:45 pm

9. Haha! One more time Mike R? Who do you want to see batting second?

by Joey C. on Jun 20, 2007 at 7:50 pm

10. Holy crap. I’ve been trying to post on here like 15 times and nothing was working. My fault on all the double posts, hahaha.

by Mike R on Jun 20, 2007 at 7:51 pm

11. In today’s comments lineup, Mike R is hitting in the 1, 2, 4, and 6 hole.

by Jeff on Jun 20, 2007 at 8:04 pm

12. So just in case, who backs up Rabelo if pudge is out?

by Jason on Jun 20, 2007 at 8:14 pm

13. Let’s pray that Pudge is not hurt too seriously.

by West Coast Tiger on Jun 20, 2007 at 8:15 pm

14. Pudge corrals that WP. We’ll see if it makes a difference in the outcome.

What was his injury? I missed it.

by Kevin in Austin on Jun 20, 2007 at 8:15 pm

15. Neifi backs up Rabelo, not Inge as you might expect.

by Ben on Jun 20, 2007 at 8:29 pm

16. Yes, despite him having caught in exactly one game in his career

by Dave Wagner on Jun 20, 2007 at 8:34 pm

17. Why would he sit Bonderman already. Wow.

by Kevin in Austin on Jun 20, 2007 at 8:44 pm

18. Though we are 10-4 in interleague play. I’d just like to see Bondo go a few more innings.

by Kevin in Austin on Jun 20, 2007 at 8:48 pm

19. Ouch, a pop-up for Sheff. You think Bondo is pissed right now?

by Kevin in Austin on Jun 20, 2007 at 8:53 pm

20. I guess Jimmy is confident in our bullpen.

What a dumb move.

by Joey C. on Jun 20, 2007 at 8:57 pm

21. So Maggs is now batting 382. Is that even legal?

by Anne on Jun 20, 2007 at 9:04 pm

22. I think he knows that the only way he’ll win MVP is if he hits .400

by Joey C. on Jun 20, 2007 at 9:09 pm

23. I think I heard somewhere that Ledezma is out of options but McBride is not. Maybe McBride’s main attraction is the ability to be sent to Toledo. Can he be worse than Ledezma?

by Anne on Jun 20, 2007 at 9:19 pm

24. Can we survive both Rodney and Jones tonight with only a 4 run cushion?

by Joey C. on Jun 20, 2007 at 9:55 pm

25. Can you hear the drums, Fernando?

by ABBA on Jun 20, 2007 at 10:02 pm

26. Rodney is injured. That means loss in velocity. That means he overthrows to compensate. What control he has is gone.

Rodney is injured.

by Jim on Jun 20, 2007 at 10:07 pm

27. I’ll take that Jones.

by Kevin in Austin on Jun 20, 2007 at 10:21 pm

28. In Nashville, saddest sight is their ballpark. Decrepit does not do it justice. Highlights: Before referenced Adam Pettyjohn coaching first base and, i kid you not, ‘Skeeter’s Scoops,’ an ice cream stand devoted to legendary Mudhen and Tigers utility man Skeeter Barnes. I’m pretty sure it’s not a franchise. I felt really bad for Tony Gwynn Jr. who got sent down even though he was hitting over .300. He had to leave his beautiful hometown of San Diego for Nashville where literally not one light on the electric guitar scoreboard works.
    Good times.

by Stephen on Jun 20, 2007 at 10:25 pm

29. An eight pitch inning!? Columbus was wrong: the earth is flat. Watch out for flying monkeys and unicorns on the roadway tomorrow during drive time.

by Stephen on Jun 20, 2007 at 10:29 pm

30. I liked Mike R.’s post so much, that I really didn’t mind seeing four times.

by Mark on Jun 20, 2007 at 10:59 pm

31. Billfer.

A grammatical correction, if I may.

“Nothing against Mike Rabelo, but I’d just assume see the Kenny Rogers-Pudge battery on Friday.”

The expression is “I’d just as soon see…” not “I’d just assume see…”

It’s kind of like when people say “for all intensive purposes” instead of “for all intents and purposes”. Or, when people spell definitely, “definently”.

Phonetically yours,

Alex

by Alex on Jun 21, 2007 at 1:16 am

32. Went to the game tonight – quick report:

During the pitching change when Byrdak was lifted, Andy Van Slyke was waving like a mad man to get the attention of the outfielders. Granderson and Monroe were having an animated conversation, and Magglio had his head down. Van Slyke waved his arms during the whole warm up period.

The loudest cheer I heard all night was when a Tigers fan showed off his sign. The sign said “Fire Millen!”

I think the Nats outfielder actually came in at first on Guillen’s homer. I had a lousy vantage point, but it didn’t look like it would be a homer at first.

Man those Nats relievers didn’t look very good in the 6th.

by TC Chris on Jun 21, 2007 at 1:24 am

33. I think pinch hitting for Bondo in the 6th was the right move. With this bullpen and Bondo looking kinda shaky in the fourth and fifth innings, Leyland rightly went for the knockout punch in the sixth by having SHeff pinch hit for Bondo. We need all the runs we can get with this pen, and Leyland took his shot for a big inning. Although Sheff only popped out, we still got our big inning (five runs). I think it was absolutely the right move and also why I hate NL baseball. If this game was played at Comerica, Sheff would’ve DH’d and Bondo would have continued on into the sixth inning.

by Keith G. on Jun 21, 2007 at 2:29 am

34. I keep reading where Leyland wants to put Rogers between Bonderman and Verlander, so there will be a hard thrower, then a soft tosser, then a hard thrower. The idea being that somehow this will be hard for the opponents to adjust to. If that’s the case, then why do batting practice pitchers soft toss? Using the same rationale, wouldn’t that make it hard for batters to adjust when the real pitches come in much harder? Either the rationale is flawed, or we need to get batting practice pitchers that throw smoke.

by tom on Jun 21, 2007 at 9:54 am