Wednesday night the Tigers played their 32nd game of the season. That game is significant in that it basically represents one-fifth of the season. While it is a substantial number of games, you can still get some funny results playing the “on pace for game.”
Using the Baseball Musings day by day database, it’s easy to get the performance over a given time period. The Tigers offensive performances over the first 32 games can be found here.
Below is a spreadsheet with all the counting stats multiplied by 5:
Some things that jumped out at me:
- Magglio Ordonez looking to pick up 90 doubles on the year.
- Gary Sheffield getting plunked 25 times
- Three players with more than 100 runs scores
- Marcus Thames on pace for 10 singles over a full season
- Pudge working toward a 5 walk season.
The pitching table can be found below:
- Mike Maroth and Jeremy Bonderman will post identical 10-0 records despite the fact that Bonderman will:
- Strike out 140 more batters
- Walk 40 fewer batters
- allow 15 fewer home runs
- Todd Jones is in line for 90 appearances – and 65 saves.
- Jason Grilli will surrender 50 runs, and no homers.