Game 48: Indians at Tigers

PREGAME: The Tigers are on pseudo national TV today. It’s one of Fox’s games of the week, but once again it is the 3rd game on the schedule. It’s really ashame when there are 2 very good teams and a very good pitching match-up with C.C. Sabathia and Justin Verlander going at it.

The weather has been sketchy today, so hopefully they can get it in.

Game Time 3:55pm

POSTGAME: Ugh. Not so much the final outcome, but the fact that the injury count for the day matched the runs on the board. I guess in some warped way it’s a good thing the Tigers didn’t score more. The rest of the day is just so much more frustrating than the final score in this one.

Posted by on May 26, 2007.

Categories: 2007 Season, Game Post

1. Looks the tarp is off the field and the players are getting into position. Guess we’ll be underway on time today, yay. Eat’em up TIgers!

by Anne on May 26, 2007 at 3:51 pm

2. I want Rod and Mario back.

by Mark S. on May 26, 2007 at 3:58 pm

3. Another shakey first inning for a Tiger starter. We need a ground ball.

by West Coast Tiger on May 26, 2007 at 4:01 pm

4. My husband just made the observation that Trot Nixon wears his mascara a little heavy. :)

by Anne on May 26, 2007 at 4:05 pm

5. Verlander needs to come inside some. Robertson didn’t do it at all yesterday.

by billfer on May 26, 2007 at 4:06 pm

6. A little shaky, true, but we got out of it. Not too bad.

by Anne on May 26, 2007 at 4:06 pm

7. Just so you all know, Jim Price and Dan Dickerson just reported that the team was not able to take batting or fielding practice before the game.

by Kathy on May 26, 2007 at 4:21 pm

8. It didn’t seem to hurt Thames. How often do you see a broken-bat homer? Woot!

by Anne on May 26, 2007 at 4:26 pm

9. Jim Price compared him to Alice Cooper.

by Mike F on May 26, 2007 at 4:45 pm

10. I don’t know why Leyland did’nt have Omar bunt in this tight game.

by West Coast Tiger on May 26, 2007 at 5:19 pm

11. didn’t

by West Coast Tiger on May 26, 2007 at 5:20 pm

12. Time to get somthing goin, Poly.

by Kathy on May 26, 2007 at 5:35 pm

13. That should be the last of Verlander tonight.

by West Coast Tiger on May 26, 2007 at 5:36 pm

14. Mags time

by West Coast Tiger on May 26, 2007 at 5:39 pm

15. Glad to see Grandy out in center again.

by Kathy on May 26, 2007 at 5:48 pm

16. I missed the last inning, why did Leyland pull Verlander?

by Kevin in Austin on May 26, 2007 at 5:56 pm

17. He’d thrown 105 pitches.

by Nate on May 26, 2007 at 5:57 pm

18. High pitch count.

by Kathy on May 26, 2007 at 5:57 pm

19. Seay the man. OK need two runs here and we are out

by Steve on May 26, 2007 at 6:01 pm

20. What happened to Polanco? Gameday is reporting that he was injured.

by Nate on May 26, 2007 at 6:06 pm

21. This would be a great time for Brandon to get out of his funk.

by Kathy on May 26, 2007 at 6:07 pm

22. Polanco left with a strained oblique muscle. Not a good thing!!

by West Coast Tiger on May 26, 2007 at 6:08 pm

23. If Pudge’s eyes are bugging out, he’ll get a hit.

by Kathy on May 26, 2007 at 6:09 pm

24. COME ON TIGS.

by Adam on May 26, 2007 at 6:11 pm

25. Here’s what happened to Pujols when that happened to him: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/.....id=2469450

by Adam on May 26, 2007 at 6:14 pm

26. What a game! If we lose, I’ll be sick.

by Kathy on May 26, 2007 at 6:15 pm

27. Oh, Adam. I don’t want to know. I hope he’s not injured that bad.

by Kathy on May 26, 2007 at 6:16 pm

28. Strained Oblique, because it is on the side and front of the abdomen is used every time you rotate or bend the spine forward is very painful and generally takes several weeks to heal. Albert Pujols was sidelined on the DL all of last June I believe.

Let’skeep are fingers crossed.

by West Coast Tiger on May 26, 2007 at 6:16 pm

29. This bullpen makes me sick!

by West Coast Tiger on May 26, 2007 at 6:18 pm

30. Prepare to be sick.

by Adam on May 26, 2007 at 6:19 pm

31. Falling apart!!!!!1

by Kathy on May 26, 2007 at 6:19 pm

32. Grilli’s hurt now too? What’s the deal with “Injury Delay” on Gameday?

by Adam on May 26, 2007 at 6:21 pm

33. It may be Miller Time.

by West Coast Tiger on May 26, 2007 at 6:21 pm

34. I wonder if Poly has been hurting previous to today. He hasn’t been his usual self at the plate, although he did hit the double.

by Kathy on May 26, 2007 at 6:22 pm

35. This game can bite my butt.

by Adam on May 26, 2007 at 6:25 pm

36. This is officially a disaster.

by Ali on May 26, 2007 at 6:26 pm

37. Can we just let them have this game before someone else gets injured?

by billfer on May 26, 2007 at 6:26 pm

38. Jim Leyland looks sick. Good pitching beats good hitting every time.

by Kathy on May 26, 2007 at 6:27 pm

39. I think Leyland’s going to have to start biting the bullet and letting his starters throw more pitches. This bullpen freaking stinks!

by Ali on May 26, 2007 at 6:28 pm

40. I hope Grilli is OK, but I don’t see anything from him so far this season.

by West Coast Tiger on May 26, 2007 at 6:30 pm

41. The Polanco injury would explain a lot. He has not been his usual self at the plate over the last few games.

by Kevin in Austin on May 26, 2007 at 6:31 pm

42. I could say something about Cleveland possible doing us a favor but I won’t. Bad girl!!!!

by Kathy on May 26, 2007 at 6:32 pm

43. Sheff is do for a long ball

by West Coast Tiger on May 26, 2007 at 6:34 pm

44. The irony is painful: This year’s Tigers are last year’s Indians. Lots of talent, lots of expectations, lots of injuries.

by Erik in CA on May 26, 2007 at 6:35 pm

45. Cleveland has a great team and they’re healthy. We have a great team, but we’re not healthy. The Polonco injury worries me the most.

by Kathy on May 26, 2007 at 6:50 pm

46. Well, they gave it their best shot. The error by Infante hurt us, too.

by Kathy on May 26, 2007 at 7:00 pm

47. We could not hold the lead today. We get 1 in the bottom of the 2nd. The Tribe gets 2 in the top of the 3rd. We go up 3-2 in the bottom of the 6th and the Tribe ties it in the top of the 7th and goes on to score 3 more for the win in the 8th.

How many guys did we leave in scoring position? It seemed like there were about 3 innings in a row where we stranded someone in scoring position.

I knew with Verlander’s high pitch count that he wouldn’t be going 7 or 8 innings and with our beleaguered bullpen we would need every run we could manage to push across the plate.

Grr! Frustrating game especially with Girlie Grilli giving up the two-run shot and then getting whacked in the knee for his troubles by the next batter.

by Andrew on May 26, 2007 at 7:37 pm

48. This is going to be a long couple of weeks. I know we all get on people like Mesa and Grilli, etc, but that is because they’re failing in the positions we expected them to pitch in (6th-ish innings) and now they’re going to be the bridge to Jones. Yikes.

It’s important to just weather the storm right now. Hopefully the offense doesn’t slump (Magg’s is due to slow down) during this stretch.

And Monroe and Inge are killing the bottom of the order. I’d rather see Verlander bat for himself half the time.

by Mike R on May 26, 2007 at 9:30 pm

49. I was thinking about this tonight, and I really think to save the bullpen, the Tigers should strongly consider moving Chad Durbin into the ‘pen.

Early in the season I was tough on Durbin and wanted him removed from the starting rotation, but he’s impressed me his last few outings. So much so that he is actually one of the only pitchers I would trust in the bullpen. As I wrote tonight, I would shift Durbin to the pen to strengthen it, and as soon as Roman Colon is ready after rehabbing his surgically repaired neck, I’d move him back up as well. With Durbin, Miner, and potentially Colon in the bullpen, it has a new look, a nice mix of hard and soft tossers, and can help the Tigers get by until Rodney and Zumaya return.

As for Durbin’s spot in the rotation, move in Andrew Miller. You don’t lose much strength in the rotation and the Tigers bullpen is instantly stronger.

-Scott

by Scott Warheit on May 26, 2007 at 10:59 pm

50. I like Scott’s idea, does anyone know Roman Colon’s status?

Also, “Detroit its ninth blown save of the season, tied for the American League lead pending Saturday night’s games.”

Very discouraging, if this doesn’t change the tigers may become last years White Sox or Indians.

by boombotti on May 27, 2007 at 1:09 am

51. You bring up a good point on Infante’s play in CF, scored a triple.
    In many cases, the scoring has been veeery generous as Monroe, Guillen & Inge (2 in BoSox series) have also received some favorable scoring decisions in recent weeks. I was watching the Cubs game in LA late Friday night, and Soriano butchered a ball in left, but did not receive an error (scored a double).
    These are anecdotal, of course, but also suspicious.
    Is there any way to research whether scoring has become more favorable to fielders / i.e.: less likely to award an error??

by Rings on May 27, 2007 at 10:31 am

52. It’s good that Sean Casey’s still wasting at bats so we can keep Thames out of the lineup. At least he’s a “nice guy”.

by KS on May 27, 2007 at 10:36 am

53. I don’t think Colon’s close to coming back. 2) Anderw Miller is not MLB ready. I don’t want him up and getting shelled against the AL. Let’s not forget he faced the Cardinals, who, at the time, were last in the MLB runs scored. Not exactly the ’27 Yankees he faced.

by Mike R on May 27, 2007 at 8:41 pm