Bonderman to the DL

Andrew Miller
Andrew Miller – cr. Roger DeWitt

Jeremy Bonderman has been placed on the DL retro to the 9th. Andrew Miller will start on Friday night.

MORE: The first post was brief, because it was from a blackberry. With an actual keyboard at my disposal, I’ll expand a little more.

This DL stint doesn’t worry me greatly. This is a blister issue, which should only need a couple weeks to resolve itself. With it being retroactive to May 9th, Bonderman will be eligible to come off the DL on the 24th. The 24th would be his next turn to start so the damage may be limited to 2 starts.

As for Miller, his numbers are a little more complex than what you see at a first glance. He of course shined in his AA debut last weekend going 8 innings and allowing only an unearned run on 6 hits, 7 K’s, and no walks.

At Lakeland he was a little up and down with walks being his only struggle. He had a 28/15 K/BB ratio in 41 innings. The complexity comes in his 3.48 ERA. By all accounts Lakeland’s infield defense was poor, and Miller is an extreme ground ball pitcher (4.5 ground outs for every air out). With the Tiger defense behind him, he could be fine if he keeps the ball down.

And for those of you worrying about rushing him, I don’t see it as an issue. He already tasted the big leagues last year, and they’re not asking him to join the rotation. This is a spot start (or two) and with make-ups in July this was likely to occur at some point this season.

Posted by on May 16, 2007.

Categories: 2007 Season, Injuries, Roster Management

1. I can hardly believe it, but I believe you, Billfer. I thought they said Miller wasn’t ready. And what is with Bondo’s finger? Unfrigging believable.

by Kathy on May 16, 2007 at 6:50 pm

2. This is seriously bad news, and not how I’d been hoping to see Miller brought up. I’d rather he take all the time he needs to work out his stuff in the minors then finally join the club when he just can’t be held back any longer. I’ve been looking forward to seeing him but I don’t want him to be rushed. Ah well, it’s hardly an ideal world.

by Anne on May 16, 2007 at 6:58 pm

3. Hey I couldn’t be happier, I’ll be at the friday game cheering him on with the rest of the stadium. It’ll be interesting to see how he does with a major league defense behind him. *note he’ll be facing major league bats*

by Austin on May 16, 2007 at 7:00 pm

4. That sucks, but what else sucks is the day-night doubleheader tomorrow. Plus I have a feeling Miller will be good vs the Cards.

by Adam on May 16, 2007 at 7:28 pm

5. I’m fine with 1 spot start with Miller.

Adding to his pretty mediocre numbers, I remember Lynne Henning wrote that they were altering his delivery to get him to stop throwing so much across his body, like he did in college. Which I’m sure has effects on him.

Even if he shines in his debut (See: Andy Van Hekken) I want him back in Double-A and I firmly believe he’ll come out a better pitcher with a full year of Double-A baseball under his belt before rejoining Detroit in September.

I’m less concerned with Miller, though, than I am Cameron Maybin and his lack of power/driving the ball.

by Mike R on May 16, 2007 at 7:35 pm

6. Maybin’s isolated power is .176, and his slugging percentage is .481. For a 20-year-old in high A ball, that’s nothing to worry about.

by Jeff on May 16, 2007 at 7:44 pm

7. Maybin’s not driving the baseball. And that slugging’s been plummeting the last 2-3 weeks.

48 ground balls, 7 line drives, 21 flyballs, 1 bunt this year for Maybin. That’s not condusive to hitting for power. Now, whether that’s from him rolling over on pitches trying to hit HR’s or not, I’m not sure. I’m praying it’s the reason.

by Mike R on May 16, 2007 at 8:03 pm

8. I don’t always get why people have an obsession with keeping talent in the minors. The minor leagues isn’t a wine celler, and Miller aint wine. Bondo grew up in the bigs, lets bring Miller on! He ‘s a lefty, throws hard and has funky looking stuff. I bet he baffles those slumping red bird bums.

by Dead Rabbit on May 16, 2007 at 8:20 pm

9. Well, our (injured) pitchers are certainly making Mr. Leyland do a little extra managing and that my friends is not as bad as things could be with someone else managing the Detroit club.

I will stop before saying something stupid like – things could be worse because – they could be. I knew things wouldn’t be a cake walk this season, but who would have thought we would be without the holy trinity of Rogers, Zumaya, and Bonderman at the same time?

But, the boys just keep on battling and Verlander throwing a gem of a game last night certainly didn’t hurt anything, did it?

by Andrew on May 16, 2007 at 8:25 pm

10. That was one of his best starts (Verlander). If anyone had any doubts about him winning the ROY, this game should have put those doubts to rest. He really was spectacular.

As for tomorrow, I’m kinda likin the idea of watching my Tigers from morning til night.

by Kathy on May 16, 2007 at 9:22 pm

11. I’m glad Miller is getting the start. Two starts due to blistering is no biggie.

by Dead Rabbit on May 16, 2007 at 9:33 pm

12. i just spent the last hour watching clips from the final game at Tiger Stadium thanks to clicking on Andrew’s name and taking me to this site: http://www.squidoo.com/tigerstadium/

I really, really wish I could’ve gotten to a game there and that the Tigers would’ve rennovated instead of building a new ballpark.

by Mike R on May 16, 2007 at 9:42 pm

13. i mean…

by Mark S. on May 16, 2007 at 10:26 pm

14. Mike R.,

Thanks for checking out the site. It was a lot of fun to put together.

by Andrew on May 17, 2007 at 9:52 am

15. I visited Andrew’s site, as well. I cried.

by Kathy on May 17, 2007 at 10:28 am

16. I was at the last game at Tiger Stadium. I grabbed perhaps the most unusual souvenir ever…a urinal puck!

That was a great stadium. It was great for the players to play in, it was great for the fans to watch the game. Comerica P!$$3$ me off. It’s bad to watch games, and the players hate the long fences. What’s the good part again?

by Coach Jim on May 17, 2007 at 11:08 am

17. Kathy,

Sorry you cried after visiting my site. Hope it was out of sadness of Tiger Stadium’s passing and not that I did such a bad job on it that it made you cry ;)

Coach Jim – your souvenir mad me chuckle. Did you just grab the urinal cake and put it in your pocket?

Wish I had a urinal trough from Tiger Stadium. I would put it in the yard and turn it into a planter for my wife.

Think she would like it? :)

by Andrew on May 17, 2007 at 11:46 am

18. [...] Jeremy Bonderman has hit the disabled list, thanks to his blister problems. Fortunately the stint is retroactive back to May 9th, meaning Bondo will be able to come off the DL next week Thursday, missing just two starts. In his place, Andrew Miller will start. Tomorrow night against the Cardinals, the Tigers’ sixth overall pick from the 2006 MLB Draft will make his first Major League start after making his first big league appearance late last season against the Yankees. Manager Jim Leyland expects Miller to make just one start before heading back to Double-A Erie, but does not rule out the idea of Miller pitching for the Tigers later in the season — it’s possible, though not guaranteed by any means. [...]

by Around the Bases: Andrew Miller to Make First MLB Start « Detroit Sports Unleashed on May 17, 2007 at 7:56 pm

19. [...] Andrew Miller’s debut is perhaps overshadowing the world series rematch. I’ve written about Miller’s minor league numbers already. So I’ll just say that I hope this goes better than the first starts for Virgil Vasquez, Justin Verlander, Jeremy Bonderman, and Zach Miner. Miller at least has the benefit of having some big league experience. [...]

by The Detroit Tiger Weblog » Blog Archive » Game 41: Cardinals at Tigers on May 18, 2007 at 5:54 pm