Tigers to FM Radio?

It looks like the Tigers might be heading to FM radio. WKRK 97.1, which like WXYT is owned by CBS Radio, let their evening hosts Parker and the Man go. This could mean that the station is vying for the Red Wings and Tigers contracts.

The story in the Freep speculates that the evening games would be simulcast on WKRK as well as 1270. The move would help those in metro Detroit who currently have issues picking up WXYT’s signal as it gets washed out by power lines. But those that are out-state will still be relying on the radio network and partner stations.

1. Matt W.

December 29, 2006 at 3:03 pm

This would be awesome — I hope it actually happens.

2. Eric Jackson

December 29, 2006 at 3:42 pm

Me too, I’m only in Canton but have a hard time getting 1270 often.

3. Angus

December 31, 2006 at 7:37 pm

You are right about one thing. In Ohio we have to rely on the network which stinks down here. 1470 out of Toledo carries Mud Hens games ahead of the Tigers and also gets washed out at night. Hopefully with the solid season that we had equates to more stations picking up the Tigers in 2007.

4. Matt in Toledo

January 2, 2007 at 12:22 pm

Angus — 97.1 out of Archbold/Wauseon is far from perfect, but I can usually pick the games up in Toledo from that station. I don’t know where you are, but that may be an option for you.

5. Matt in Toledo

January 2, 2007 at 8:43 pm

After further review, the fourth preset in my car is 96.1, so the Archbold/Wauseon station is probably at that frequency. You’ll hear more ads for tractor tires and livestock feeds than you will during a normal Tiger broadcast, but it’s the Tigers.

6. Angus

January 3, 2007 at 10:59 am

My problem is that I am about 30 miles further east of Toledo and the I-75 corridor. I have received that station at I-75 but that is about it.

7. adr

January 3, 2007 at 5:38 pm

Does anyone happen to know whether Tiger games on the radio are broadcast over the internet or are those blacked out? Trying to decide whether I need to subscribe to MLB.Com since I live outside the Detroit area.

8. Eric Jackson

January 3, 2007 at 6:07 pm

They are blacked out on the 1270 web site.

9. Jeff M

January 3, 2007 at 8:44 pm

adr, you should sign up for MLB.com audio anyways. It was less than $20 for the year and it was nice because I could listen to the opposition’s broadcast when I wanted a change of pace.

10. Bob S.

January 3, 2007 at 9:30 pm

The Tigers and Red Wings leaving the powerhouse WJR was one of the worst things that could have happened to Detroit sports fans-picking up games while driving outstate(even on the fringes of the Detroit metropolitan area)is an exercise in frustration.Mike Illitch should be embarassed to have his team’s flagship station be the ridiculously underpowered WXYT.

11. Matt

January 4, 2007 at 9:23 pm

I happen to agree, last season all i did was complain about the reception i got from 1270, I’m in Commerce and could almost pickup 1050 out of Ann Arbor better on some nights. I kept on saying that i wanted to see them on FM!

12. Henry Krueger