Game 155: Tigers at Royals

PREGAME: Things were looking good earlier this afternoon. Michigan was beating up on Wisconsin, and the Mariners held a 7-2 lead before a rain delay settled in moments after the 5th inning was completed. While the Wolverines held on, the Mariners collapsed when play resumed and as I write this they are trailing 11-7. So the Tigers will have to wait until at least tomorrow to have a chance to celebrate their first playoff birth since 1987.

Tonight the Tigers will turn to Kenny Rogers to get them one game closer. He’ll be opposed by Mark Redman in a battle of soft tossing lefties.

Game Time 7:10pm

POSTGAME: A certain Tiger returns to the lineup and the bats came alive. Welcome back Chris Shelton! I kid of course, but it was nice to see all the members of the early season lineup swinging the sticks together again. The first inning was, long, fruitful, unreal, fun…Curtis Granderson and Carlos Guillen combined for the cycle in that first inning.

Kenny Rogers did a good job of making sure this game didn’t turn interesting. Really the only downside from the game was Mike Maroth surrendering 3 runs in the 9th inning. In his last 2 outings he’s allowed 3 homers. Now in Maroth’s defense, he’s made 3 appearances spread out over 15 days. For someone used to going out every 5th day it is probably an adjustment, not to mention the fact he is coming off of surgery.

Maroth is teetering on the edge of not making the playoff roster. The Tigers can get by without him, but I’m rooting for Maroth. He endured so much during the 20 loss season and was a sacrificial lamb that season. For what he went through in 2003 and for being an all around good guy, I’d love for him to contribute to a post season run.

1. Kyle J

September 23, 2006 at 6:05 pm

At least the Orioles are giving the Twins an honest fight. 4-4 after 4 innings in Baltimore.

2. Kyle J

September 23, 2006 at 6:37 pm

Polanco’s in the 9 spot. And Chris Shelton has been freed! He’s batting #8.

3. Adam Holwerda

September 23, 2006 at 6:40 pm

Look out…here comes Shelton. And I’m not sure I mean that in a good way.

4. Adam Holwerda

September 23, 2006 at 7:13 pm

Did I mention Granderson’s amazing? I love that kid.

5. Jeff M

September 23, 2006 at 7:22 pm

Man, we gotta stop this first-pitch swinging stuff.

6. Tater

September 23, 2006 at 7:22 pm

What an opportunity for Shelton to get well…

7. Chris Y.

September 23, 2006 at 7:27 pm

PP!!!!

8. Adam Holwerda

September 23, 2006 at 7:28 pm

And Granderson’s batting AGAIN in the first inning…double by Polanco, hit by Shelton…I’m quite encouraged! It’s 6-0 at the moment, by the way.

9. Adam Holwerda

September 23, 2006 at 7:29 pm

Wow. Wow.

10. Pete

September 23, 2006 at 7:31 pm

Has anyone ever hit for the cycle in one inning? Granny just needs a single and a double, and there’s only one out…

11. Adam Holwerda

September 23, 2006 at 7:33 pm

Haha…he might hit for the cycle this game…wouldn’t that be something?

12. Adam Holwerda

September 23, 2006 at 7:34 pm

When’s the last time we had 9 runs in the first inning?

13. Adam Holwerda

September 23, 2006 at 7:41 pm

Well, anyway. This trumps our 8 run inning against the O’s. Which was our biggest inning of the season.

14. Alan

September 23, 2006 at 7:45 pm

Granderson better go for the cycle. He has a HR and a Triple in the first inning. All he needs is a single and a double.

15. Alan

September 23, 2006 at 7:46 pm

How must the Gambler feel. He hasn’t even thrown a pitch and has a 10-0 lead. I sure hope Leyland gives Jones the night off.

16. Steve

September 23, 2006 at 7:59 pm

Pete, Are you comfortable having Neif play tonight so we can increase the number of fan club members ?

For those of you that dont know, Pete is Perezident of the Neifi for Perezident fan club 😉

17. Shawn in Tokyo

September 23, 2006 at 8:42 pm

Dang, I woke up a little late for the game and see those 10 runs! This might be one game I download after it is over…

18. Jeff M

September 23, 2006 at 8:51 pm

Ok, time to get Pudge and Guillen out of there. Let Kenny get his win and then pull him too. Tata, Miller, Grilli and Miner can finish this one up.

19. Steve

September 23, 2006 at 8:57 pm

Jeff, I agree……….. lets keep the guys fresh. Theother guys could use the reps as well, Get Santiago, Wilson etc out there. It would be unfortunate to have some one pull a hammie or get knicked up when its a blow out.

Steve

20. Steve

September 23, 2006 at 9:00 pm

How about Polly, first game back (I know its K/C) 3-4 with 2 RBI’s. Yeah we didnt miss him did we.

21. Jeff M

September 23, 2006 at 9:19 pm

I’m a little bummed to see Rogers out there in the 6th. At only 58 pitches, he could have been ready to go by Wednesday. Would have given Leyland a chance to juggle guys or just give everyone a breather. He probably wouldn’t have done it anyways, but options are always good.

22. Steve

September 23, 2006 at 9:20 pm

Jim Leyland must have this Blog on is wireless dugout laptop. He is doing what we suggested. :0)

23. PHT in HK

September 23, 2006 at 9:58 pm

I agree with Jeff M that there doesn’t seem to be much of a point in leaving Rogers in.

24. Steve

September 23, 2006 at 10:04 pm

Hes at 101 pitches, why not keep him frsh for next week againt Toronto?

25. Jeff M

September 23, 2006 at 10:11 pm

LOL, a complete game? Are you kidding me? I’d love to hear the rationale.

26. Patrick

September 23, 2006 at 10:53 pm

I don’t have too much of a problem letting Rogers go as long as he did. If it was a younger guy, then you probably pull him earlier. Plus Rogers didn’t exactly work so hard today. Maybe Rogers felt more comfortable pitching a normal game. You don’t really know whats going on down there.

27. Patrick

September 23, 2006 at 10:55 pm

….plus the rotation is set up to have Rogers pitch on tuesday october 3rd on normal 4 days rest after his next start I think.

28. Kurt

September 24, 2006 at 12:09 am

It sounds like backseat driving. I have no problem with it. Rogers can handle it fine and requested it.

From Jason Beck’s gamestory:
    Asked about it afterward, Rogers said with a chuckle, “I was working on talking him into letting me stay out there a little longer. I just felt fine and I just pitched six [innings] last time because I didn’t feel so great. I wanted to go a little longer. That was my goal was to pitch some innings and earn it.”

29. Joey the K

September 24, 2006 at 1:07 am

I”m mad, MLBEI doesn’ have any of the Tigs/KC series on this weekend!

30. Jeff M

September 24, 2006 at 2:03 am

That’s a good explanation, but it still seems like he could have given at least an inning to one of the kids.

31. Jojo SunDevil

September 24, 2006 at 8:53 am

So it appears the tigers are gheadin to the playoffs. Well…the Yankees are a eam that I certainly worry about. But yo, this is exciogting. This is unbelievable.

Sean Casey we need you. You are our difference maker. You can hit a steady consistent 6th, definite. And we got Polanco back.

Ride on Tiges. We can still pull it out this season. We can beat the yankees. BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. Chris Y.

September 24, 2006 at 11:18 am

Bilfer, I too love what Maroth has done for this team. But I just don’t know what he can contribute to a playoff team, unless it’s mopup duty, ala last night.

I’d be real nervous if he came into a tight situation in the playoffs. I just don’t think he’s back to where he needs to be effective. It seems to me that his stuff doesn’t seem to move as much or maybe its just pitch selection. Or maybe he’s holding something back…who knows?

33. T Smith

September 24, 2006 at 12:20 pm

Chris Y, I have to agree. The minute Maroth came in, I had a strong suspection KC was going to start playing long ball. Maybe he can come back to form by next spring, but I would be extremely nervious with him in there during any other role than the one he played last night.