Polanco out indefinitely

Placido Polanco has a seperated shoulder. In case you didn’t see it, he went back and made a run saving catch in short centerfield. As he tumbled to the ground he tried to brace himself and his left arm/shoulder took the brunt of the impact.

He’ll undergo further tests Wednesday morning.

Of course the Tigers will need another infielder. Ramon Santiago is the least compelling, yet most likely choice due to his position on the major league roster. He is also most suitable equipped to handle both middle infield positions. It will also mark the return of Omar Infante as a regular.

1. Steve

August 15, 2006 at 10:14 pm

Well of all the positions and players this one is the most difficult. He has been steady both at the plate and in the field. Lets hope its nothing major. Maybe Pudge is an option is he can field a bit. Santiagos bat is not really scary.

Good win tonight. It took a break by WMP to help out, but Bondo pitched a dandy. Critical to say the least that when we have opportunities against someone like Schilling we score. We had a couple chances to plate an extra run and kinda scuffed it up. Decent W anyway.

Steve

2. Alan

August 15, 2006 at 10:19 pm

By the looks of this information Shoulder Injuries, hopefully he can get back for the playoffs if it isn’t the most severe kind.

3. Tim D

August 15, 2006 at 10:30 pm

I’d like to see Raburn but it will likely be Santiago. Or even Hooper.

4. Steve

August 15, 2006 at 10:30 pm

Hey Alan nice post. I feel like a shoulder expert now. They often do get mixed up I would imagine.
    PP looks fairly tight, maybe it will be just a couple weeks off.

Steve

5. Jeff M

August 15, 2006 at 11:20 pm

Thanks for the link Alan.

Billfer, can you add that to the Baseball Links section?

6. Joey the K

August 15, 2006 at 11:20 pm

Watching the play it almost looked like he did something even before he caught the ball, you can see him wince and grab up towards it with his other hand.

Lets hope its not too bad, get well fast Polly!

7. Pete G

August 15, 2006 at 11:40 pm

Great effort by Placido. Even greater effort if he in fact injured the shoulder on the catch and not the landing. Hey, why not Raburn, his offensive numbers are very good at AAA. We could use some more punch in the batting order and we still have Omar for defense. Also, what is Monroe thinking on the bases. Geez.

8. Pingback: GoTeamsGo Sports Fan Forum

9. Lou

August 16, 2006 at 1:08 am

Just thinking out loud here…

Any chance that Clevelan, Monroe, or Thames could play third and Inge could move to 2B?

That’s probably too radical a switch at this point in the season, but might be worth looking into next spring as a backup plan.

10. Dan

August 16, 2006 at 1:43 am

No chance of that. One thing I’m not sure about though – would a player like Todd Walker work in a waiver deal?

11. tom

August 16, 2006 at 2:02 pm

Does a player have to be on the active roster on Sept 1 to be included on the playoff roster? Does that include the DL? What are the ramifications regarding PP here?

12. Greg

August 16, 2006 at 2:45 pm

A trade for Soriano would’ve helped, as he could play some 2B.

13. Anne

August 16, 2006 at 3:02 pm

Tom–I think a player only has to be on the 40-man roster on Sept 1, not the the 25-man, to be included in the play-offs. Players on the 15-day DL are still on the 40-man roster, those on the 60-day are not. As far as the implicatios for Polanco, I haven’t heard if he’s on the 15-day or 60-day.

If I got this wrong, someone please tell me.

14. Anne

August 16, 2006 at 3:15 pm

OK, I just saw on the Tigers’ website that Polanco is on the 15-day DL. So if I understand correctly, he’ll still be eligible for the post-season.

15. Matt in Toledo

August 16, 2006 at 3:23 pm

Without checking (so I could be wrong), I thought players on the 60 day DL were still on the 40 day roster but did not count against it. In other words, if you fill in their spot while they’re out, you have to boot somebody when they come back. I’ve definitely been wrong on this kind of stuff before, so feel free to correct me if I that’s the case here.

16. Anne

August 16, 2006 at 3:27 pm

Matt-actually, you’re right on. They’re still protected as being part of the roster, but don’t count against the 40-man limit.

17. Lou

August 16, 2006 at 5:10 pm

What is the “K rod rule” that allowed him to pitch in ’02? I can never remember it.

18. tom

August 17, 2006 at 1:54 pm

Anne and Matt, thanks for the clarification. Here’s hoping that it even matters whether PP is on the playoff roster, as it sound like the injury might shut him down for the season.