Completing the Shuffle – Nook Logan DFA’d

by billfer on August 29, 2006 · 13 comments

in 2006 Season,Roster Management

Finishing up the roster moves that were announced on Sunday, Nook Logan was designated for assignment to make room on the 40 man roster for Alexis Gomez.

Also, Tony Giarratano was recalled and immediately placed on the 15 day DL. I’d imagine this is a prelude to a transfer to the 60 day DL which would 1. make room on the 40 man for Mike Maroth to be activated this weekend, and 2. allow the Tigers the option of making another infielder playoff eligible.

{ 1 trackback }

{ 12 comments }

Lou August 29, 2006 at 5:05 pm

Wow, you totally figured out the playoff roster situation and the exact move Dombrowski would make to give himself the maximum flexibility. Nice work.

Greg August 29, 2006 at 5:08 pm

Is Giarratano actually hurt? I don’t understand why the Tigers are doing this move with such a prospect. Why not pick some dead-end minor leaguer?

billfer August 29, 2006 at 5:44 pm

Tony G had season ending surgery on his knee back in July. This move won’t impact him at all, except he’ll make more money and acquire a month of service time. It’s a win for him.

Jeff M August 29, 2006 at 6:25 pm

Well done, billfer.

I’m all for smart roster moves, but this is obviously not following the intent of the rules. Is this par for the course?

Jeff M August 29, 2006 at 6:27 pm

Well done, billfer.

P.S. why did my other email address get blocked?

Jeff Mo August 29, 2006 at 6:30 pm

Well done, billfer.

Lou August 29, 2006 at 8:05 pm

I think this is EXACTLY what the Angels did in 2002 to get K rod on the post season roster.

Lou August 29, 2006 at 8:06 pm

I wonder if anyone will bite on Nook? He’d be a great pinch runner / defensive sub for a playoff bound team.

Mark P August 29, 2006 at 9:52 pm

I second that Lou. I am always curious what will happen. It is hard to root for Nook.

I wonder what will happen with Josh Phelps. Will he get a Sept. call up? His .907 OPS is hard to ignore.

Or do they make the easy move and just bring Shelton back?

Mark P August 29, 2006 at 9:54 pm

oops!

“I am always curious what will happen. It is hard to root for Nook.”

I meant: I am curious what will happen. It is hard NOT to root for Nook.

Andy August 29, 2006 at 10:25 pm

Its a bummer to hear about Nook Logan. I was actually just discussing the “what ever happened with Nook Logan?” on Sunday at the Indians’ game with my wife. Its too bad he couldn’t steal first base.

Lou August 30, 2006 at 3:42 am

They should call Phelps up. I’m not sure where they can give him at bats as the roster is currently set up. Hopefully we clinch early and can give guys like that some “garbage time.”

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post:

Switch to our mobile site